U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 02:26 AM

4 posts, read 3,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
My father never cared for AAs. I have difficulty interacting with them myself. We just do not have anything in common.
You legitimately feel this way, due to the fact that AA's have been thoroughly bastardized and indoctrinated within a primarily euro-centric society. OTOH, if you really wanted to successfully interact with AA's, I'm most certain that you could take advantage of many opportunities. Perhaps your father has prematurely stunted your actual desire to successfully interact with AA's, because of his overwhelming paternal influence.

Hopefully, we as African ancestry, can establish better lines of communication as the world of technology evolves. Of course, this evolution would also have to include Africans currently living together on the African continent, as well. These days, it would appear that Africans anywhere have difficulty understanding one another. That's one thing we do have in common. We tend to turn on one another at the drop of a hat. Strangely enough, it's usually over money, status, or just plain EGO.

I wish you well my brother...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 03:13 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,445,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaleAdeyemi View Post
There isn't much contact to be honest. I didn't come to America to make friends and play racial kiss chase. I came to work. That's about it. If someone says hello to me I will say hello back. I'm not going to seek someone out just because we have the same skin color. I grew up in a tribal society not a racial one. Having black skin in Africa doesn't mean a thing. It's more about which tribe you belong too. The average African American, Afro Latino and Afro Caribbean would know very little about my culture. Culture is what separates us. Just like back home in Nigeria I have very little in common with an Igbo man..I am Yoruba. Our cultures are vastly different.
I keep trying to explain but many Black Americans simply refuse to get it. I've given up really. Great post though.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaleAdeyemi View Post
Don't throw out random stats. Most of my older family members can remember the colonial days just fine. My country only gained it's independence 53 years ago my friend.
How was colonialism in Nigeria? I always get the impression that it mirrored Ghana's in that it wasn't deeply ingrained. Few White settlers, government officials etc.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I think much of what you're saying is related to coming from a majority black country in general. If you come from a country that's majority black then racial issues like we have in the U.S have never been an issue. So the focuse in majority black countries are on other things. I'd bet the black experiance in the Caribbean is similar to what you're saying because there blacks are also the majority on most islands.

Being in a country like the U.S where whites have been the majority and blacks having to deal with racism and having to conform to white culture has created a different mind set among Black-Americans. Because with racism being aimed at Black-Americans based on our blackness some degree of solidarity with blacks outside the U.S is looked foward to. But those Blacks coming from majority Black countries whether it's an African or Caribbean country may not have as strong a need to connect racially with Black-Americans unless there is a specific racial situation drawing them together.
Trust and believe if the African slaves were allowed to maintain cultural roots you would see a greater ethnic divide among African Americans today. Even to this day there still is a noticeable difference between African-Americans along the lines of skin color and education. Visit any prison and the vast majority of Blacks there will be dark skinned.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Place: Los Angeles and Southern California

Interactions: I have dated a few African men who are Kenyan, Ethiopian, mixed Nigerian, Moroccan

I have friends (from college, workplace and from being neighbors) who are Ghanaian, Nigerian, mixed Nigerian-British, Kenyan, Moroccan, Ethiopian

I have attended several weddings between African men and African American women including family members who are married to African men.

We have more in common than not so I'm not certain what type of feedback you were expecting.
You date a lot. I'd be surprised this would be received warmly by African men.

At any rate I don't doubt your experience. We must be careful not to over generalize, class is also a powerful factor. An educated African is not going to have much in common with an uneducated person of any race.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:40 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,082,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

Even to this day there still is a noticeable difference between African-Americans along the lines of skin color and education. Visit any prison and the vast majority of Blacks there will be dark skinned.
As far as this I once heard a white man named Time Wise point out that these issues among Black-Americans with skin complexion started during slavery. White slave masters gave special privileges to light skinned or mixed slaves so that they would stay on their sides during any slave uprisings. The effects of this stayed within Black-American culture ever since. This would be another example of how slavery still shaped Black life even after slavery ended.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 PM

110 posts, read 193,150 times
Back when I went to NIU University, I dealt with a lot of Africans and had a lot of African friends. I'm African American btw, and I chilled with a lot of Black Africans, most of which were from Sudan and I had a few Ethiopian friends and one friend from Mali and Nigeria. But most of the Africans were from Sudan by far, I knew them because all the different ethnic groups of Muslims used to all congregate at the mosque together. And since I'm Muslim, the Africans took me in like family and I never had problems from any Africans. They actually took care of me MORE than non-Muslim African Americans at my college. Whenever I needed something, the Sudanese guys gave it to me. In fact, the guy who I learned how to read the Quran was from was from Sudan. We weren't tight because we were "blacks", we were tight in Islam and had a connective culture. Skin color doesn't mean nothing, cultural connection matters so you need to have something in common with people from Africa.

The westernization of black Americans and the obsession with materialism, greed, selfishness, sex, money, and drugs is something we learned in the West/America. The slaves didn't come here with these problems, and being in the West/New World for 400 something years has kind of destroyed our connection with Africans. We actually come from the "East" and the Old World where there is God conscienceness, family structure, respect, honor, morality, unity, and concern for others. People in the West have been socialized to care only for themselves and generally don't give a fukc about anyone but themselves which has rubbed off on us as African American, this is not how it's suppose to be and not how we came here. African Americans are descendants of Easterners brought to the West, remember that.

But me being Muslim, being able to speak some Arabic, and my lifestyle not really being predicated on money and drugs and all these other Western baggage makes it really easy for me to connect with Africans. In general, I've been able to relate to foreigners. When I was in NIU, I lived with a bunch of people from Saudi Arabia and we all chilled together too. I also had a Moroccan roommate and two Pakistani roommates. Because we had religion in common, we took care of our "folks", and these folks had my back through everything and would die for me MORE than some other African Americans. If you're African American and cant relate to Africans and other non-white foreigners then it's because of cultural disconnect. And if your only reaction with these people from Africa, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan are from stereotypical grumpy foreigners behind the counter of your local corner store or liquor store then you REALLY don't know these people like you think you do.

Last edited by SouthsideTillIDie; 11-09-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,082,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post

Skin color doesn't mean nothing, cultural connection matters so you need to have something in common with people from Africa.
I agree that culture can connect people but skin color can to depending on the circumstances. If people are being mistreated based on skin color then there would be some degree of bonding around skin color or race.

Quote:
The westernization of black Americans and the obsession with materialism, greed, selfishness, sex, money, and drugs is something we learned in the West/America. The slaves didn't come here with these problems...
We shouldn't assume that there were no greedy,selfish Africans during the slave trading era. Didn't those Africans who sold their war captives do it out of greed? Also the Muslim Arabs participated in their share of slave trading in east Africa out of greed. So Muslims aren't immune to this stuff either. To this day various Muslim groups are still enslaving and mistreating Black Africans. Isn't that the case in Sudan?

Enslaving of Africans Thriving in Muslim Mauritania ? Africanglobe.net

Quote:
African Americans are descendants of Easterners brought to the West, remember that.
Could you clarify?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM

17,618 posts, read 19,058,450 times
Quote:
You date a lot. I'd be surprised this would be received warmly by African men.
I'm sorry but exactly what do you mean by your comment?

Quote:
At any rate I don't doubt your experience. We must be careful not to over generalize, class is also a powerful factor. An educated African is not going to have much in common with an uneducated person of any race.
Obviously. There is a lot of social interaction and intermarriage between Africans and African Americans who are upper middle and upper class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
Skin color doesn't mean nothing, cultural connection matters so you need to have something in common with people from Africa.
If there is a larger population of their own countrymen (such as in NYC) to relate to then skin color doesn't mean a thing but the population of Africans on the West Coast is much smaller. In my experience, Africans are more concerned with interacting with those who share similar coloring AND are like-minded.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I'm sorry but exactly what do you mean by your comment?

Obviously. There is a lot of social interaction and intermarriage between Africans and African Americans who are upper middle and upper class.

If there is a larger population of their own countrymen (such as in NYC) to relate to then skin color doesn't mean a thing but the population of Africans on the West Coast is much smaller. In my experience, Africans are more concerned with interacting with those who share similar coloring AND are like-minded.
African men tend not to view a woman with a reputation of dating a lot favorably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or