U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 01:54 AM

Location: Wherever the are junk homes: Lawrence County Alabama, Huntsville Alabama and Birmingham Alabama
69 posts, read 232,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suliniber View Post
Yes I love the jungle , so I bought one in Northern Alabama where we live now, 40 acres of forest and little lakes, I call them, beaver lakes. Much better place than the cities, so yes Africans love Nature and Eat well out of nature so live longer and healthy beyond 90s. 75, 78, 81 and 89 are us siblings, uncles 99, 106 aunt 116, grand mother 125 believe it or not, in Africa eating grains and veggies. Trees are good, lions have their space in the jungles and we speak Africans 1000 and more languages and yet we get along, some how except for the new greed of power and money by dictators.

Strange my close neighbor 3 miles away calls me Mr. Black and I don't consider it anything I like it. The confederate flags fly in the corner of the my driveway which is half a mile and I like it. It is considered a recognition of me living in the neighborhood, all white, but leave me alone and appreciate me for some little money that I spend on produce in the community. I feel very special, leave alone the strange feeling I get in the cities from African Americans. I am happy being me, indeed. It has been 3 years since my neighbor who called mr. Black died. I miss him. In the little shopping center they struggle to call me by my African name. I am not religious so no foreign names at all. I love it where I live away from America into Alabama, my sweet home Alabama! I lived in California and America before I got home, Alabama! Sound illiterate? No I mean it, my Alabama is different, you say than, I say from.
Image may to follow:
MY FAMILY CENTURIONS? - Whatever you call them, daysarions?
Grandmother, a twin 45,625 days (Right) of Aunt, 42,340 days and Uncle, 38,690 days (Brother missed at 32,120 are gone and me 27,375, brother 28,470 and sister 29,565 are counting a day at a time. So far the average Life Span of 34,883 and half days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 02:14 PM

277 posts, read 294,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suliniber View Post
lions have their space in the jungles
I'm missing some context here but umm...lions don't live in the jungle

Old 03-09-2018, 07:27 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,841,732 times
African Americans, African immigrants, and Africans from other countries (France, England, Jamaica, Brazil) don't have anything in common besides African lineage.

You could put them all on a bus or train and they would immediately self-segregate to each nationality.

Culture and historical experiences are the differences between relating to somehow or thinking you're better than them. I'm African American FWIW.

Last edited by Rocko20; 03-09-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 04:10 PM

Location: Wherever the are junk homes: Lawrence County Alabama, Huntsville Alabama and Birmingham Alabama
69 posts, read 232,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
I'm missing some context here but umm...lions don't live in the jungle
When American say Africans live in the Jungle do you believe they really live in the Jungle? No, so both Lions and Africans don't live in the Jungle, that is just CS! my friends.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:34 AM

691 posts, read 921,404 times
Americans can be VERY IGNORANT when it comes to knowing about other parts of the world...Africa is a continent with
54 countries with various cultures and ethnic groups within those countries with a variety of landscapes and climates.

Some parts are rain forest, some are savanna and some are desert, mountains also...Many Americans suffer from the
Tarzan syndrome when it comes to Africa.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,637,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Americans can be VERY IGNORANT when it comes to knowing about other parts of the world...Africa is a continent with
54 countries with various cultures and ethnic groups within those countries with a variety of landscapes and climates.

Some parts are rain forest, some are savanna and some are desert, mountains also...Many Americans suffer from the
Tarzan syndrome when it comes to Africa.
Americans can be very ignorant when it comes to even knowing parts of their own country. Some folks can't even identify their state on a map.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:09 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,453,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
African Americans, African immigrants, and Africans from other countries (France, England, Jamaica, Brazil) don't have anything in common besides African lineage.

You could put them all on a bus or train and they would immediately self-segregate to each nationality.

Culture and historical experiences are the differences between relating to somehow or thinking you're better than them. I'm African American FWIW.
In America we get so caught up in race but most of the world the divisions are often ethnic, linguistic or religion. That said I think sometimes we make more of the divisions among blacks in the USA than they are in reality.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:43 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,171,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I would wind up next to the person that I liked the most and there's no telling what country that person would be from. If one or both of you speaks the other's language you can knock down a lot of cultural barriers.

I'll just go ahead and say that black women from other countries tend to have more charming personalities than those in America. I know why that is, but no one wants to hear that reason.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,425,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
It should be realized that overseas, a "Black" or "White" American will be seen as an American first and in
many countries, Americans are assumed to have money...The AA in question was probably targeted for
economic reasons and he might have been angry and assumed because he was black he would be treated
more favorably or given more of a break.

Being black does not mean anything in West Africa, since everyone is majority black. I have read of cases
of immigration officers and government officials giving other blacks and Indians a hard time, but not giving
such a hard time to Europeans or Japanese or Chinese at country entries. Ethnic differences are an issue in West Africa as opposed to racial differences in the United States.

In Ghana, some AAs are dismayed at being called "Obruni" it means "foreign, white or not from the area".
When Americans go overseas, they should forget about American racial classifications.
If they did not knowledge race they wouldn't call people Obruni... white foreigner in the first place.

It's not that racism and etc didn't happen in Africa, it's racism was different then that of Americas.

The plantation system and Jim Crow etc "besides aparthied to a extent" didn't happen in Africa. They are not racial minorties in their countries so their perspective is different than American American.

The racism in Africa comes colonization, the marginalization of African cultures. During colonization European basically told Africans that African and there culture are inferior

When Africans call black Americans " Obruni" is like when Black Americans call Africans "booty stretcher" the ignorance is related. It's both seeking to marginalize the other group with a notion that their group is better when actually their manifesting the historic racism toward their group to the other.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,171,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

When Africans call black Americans " Obruni" is like when Black Americans call Africans "booty stretcher" the ignorance is related. It's both seeking to marginalize the other group with a notion that their group is better when actually their manifesting the historic racism toward their group to the other.
I don't think oburoni is something to be offended by. As an American, you are a foreigner in Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or