U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-15-2018, 11:15 AM
 
4,434 posts, read 4,427,905 times
Reputation: 3500

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I don't think oburoni is something to be offended by. As an American, you are a foreigner in Africa.
Oburoni doesn't just mean foreigner it was use to refer to whites during colonization. And that is an insult to black Americans. And Oburoni is just one term there other terms in different African languages. It's one thing to be call foreigner it's other for Africans to deny black Americans and etc blackness altogether. This is equal to the term uncle tom in the US.

As mention in my last post both groups indirect the racism they face towards the other to create some notion they are better than the other group.

Black Americans were told they was second class citizens not American enough, "booty stretcher" hence poor public etiquette, not civilize. Black Americans used the term to signal they better than the other blacks.

The racism in Africa comes from colonization, the marginalization of African cultures they was told their culture was interior. So there terms in different African dialects to refer to people as a sells out or not African enough. As if they are the better black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2018, 01:04 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,568 posts, read 17,788,959 times
Reputation: 30960
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

The racism in Africa comes colonization, the marginalization of African cultures. During colonization European basically told Africans that African and there culture are inferior
This is some kind of revisionism that blames colonization for every social ill in Africa. Africa is populated by humans with all the positive and negative human graces, prejudices, and faults that implies.

Colonization damaged many societies in Africa, but perpetuating victimhood only means you will be a perpetual victim.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 05:40 PM
 
4,434 posts, read 4,427,905 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This is some kind of revisionism that blames colonization for every social ill in Africa. Africa is populated by humans with all the positive and negative human graces, prejudices, and faults that implies.

Colonization damaged many societies in Africa, but perpetuating victimhood only means you will be a perpetual victim.
And this some revionst post that completely ignores nor have anything to do with my post


1. "Blames for colonization for Everything" I didn't say that you said that I was very specific to what I said I said during colonization European marginalized African culture. Which is true. Your the one straw man "everything" to create abstract argument from nothing for thing I never said

2. My post wasn't about "perpetuating victimhood" but rather how black Americans and African treat each other. Your hold response is straw man that has nothing to do with my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
6,105 posts, read 1,844,343 times
Reputation: 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
In America we get so caught up in race but most of the world the divisions are often ethnic, linguistic or religion. That said I think sometimes we make more of the divisions among blacks in the USA than they are in reality.
Yes, America is very divisive. Truth be told, there aren't really that many African Americans or African immigrants in America to begin with. Only 13% of the the entire U.S. population is black. So there's also a physical and logistical barrier of simply not coming into contact with each-other on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I would wind up next to the person that I liked the most and there's no telling what country that person would be from. If one or both of you speaks the other's language you can knock down a lot of cultural barriers.

I'll just go ahead and say that black women from other countries tend to have more charming personalities than those in America. I know why that is, but no one wants to hear that reason.
I can easily take that one step further and say foreign women as a whole are a lot more charming than American women as a whole. There's a different level of attitude, expectations, entitlement, materialism, and impatience that comes with dealing with American women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 03:24 PM
 
4,434 posts, read 4,427,905 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes, America is very divisive. Truth be told, there aren't really that many African Americans or African immigrants in America to begin with. Only 13% of the the entire U.S. population is black. So there's also a physical and logistical barrier of simply not coming into contact with each-other on a daily basis.
I can tell right now Atlanta and Georgia demographics is very different from Honolulu and hawaii

13% is 1/10 people but 46 million rival Most European, Latin and African countries total populations.

Places like Seattle, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Portland have black pop under 10% But places Atlanta, DC, Philadelphia, Miami, Charlotte , New Orleans it's between 20 to over 30%.

What I founded interesting besides Minneapolis most African and Black immigrants move to the cities with a large African American pop, Atlanta, DC, Houston, Miami, NY and etc.

The same with the Asian population regarding the pacific and West coast. in Birmingham and Cleveland the Asian population isn't that high but the Bay Area and Honolulu it's over 20%. So it depends what part of the country your in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 873,311 times
Reputation: 1111
I am Haitian Caribbean american and from my point of view it seems that African immigrants do not always have a warm reception with African americans.

This is because African immigrants fall for the stereotypes that are shown of black American folks in the media. But that’s not just it. The fact that African immigrants often times than most live in a urban setting then they come to America, they often have to meet the more “ghetto” African Americans first which only reinforces heir views on the group.

But this isn’t only one sided. African Americans often have been lied to about Africa and will often view immigrants from poor countries as pest and make disgusting jokes about them based on what they see on TV.

Caribbean blacks have the exact same experiences when meeting African americans.

Moving on I have noticed that the children of African kids tend to not follow their parents tunnel vision when viewings AA folks and many of those same children are the ones helping black American people fight racial disparities in the country today!

I do think it’s sad that many Caribbean and African folks have this strange belief that AA folks are in the position they are today because they are “lazy”. It’s ignorant to come to someone’s land and claim that you know it all while completely ignoring the history of the locals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 873,311 times
Reputation: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
You ask what would happen if real African Americans met real African's? lol It would be a real culture shock like the world has never seen. You can take the poorest African American living on food stamps living in the worst slum in the USA and he/she is 10 times better off than 90% of the black African population. When Sumone who has worked in many places in Africa tells you most of Africa is dirt poor most African American's have no idea. It would be a wake up call.
This post is rather ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 AM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,666,164 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I am Haitian Caribbean american and from my point of view it seems that African immigrants do not always have a warm reception with African americans.

This is because African immigrants fall for the stereotypes that are shown of black American folks in the media. But that’s not just it. The fact that African immigrants often times than most live in a urban setting then they come to America, they often have to meet the more “ghetto” African Americans first which only reinforces heir views on the group.

But this isn’t only one sided. African Americans often have been lied to about Africa and will often view immigrants from poor countries as pest and make disgusting jokes about them based on what they see on TV.

Caribbean blacks have the exact same experiences when meeting African americans.

Moving on I have noticed that the children of African kids tend to not follow their parents tunnel vision when viewings AA folks and many of those same children are the ones helping black American people fight racial disparities in the country today!

I do think it’s sad that many Caribbean and African folks have this strange belief that AA folks are in the position they are today because they are “lazy”. It’s ignorant to come to someone’s land and claim that you know it all while completely ignoring the history of the locals!
You've severely low levels of education among Blacks in general, and this is something that needs to be addressed.

In the professional world, you'll find comparatively few Black people.

I've been in places in NYC where I saw pretty much all the Black people as maids, and this is pretty recent.

Any person of any ethnicity who tries to talk about other people are doing is by definition stupid. Ayn Rand once said racism is a dumb form of collectivism, and those that talk the most about others often have the least in terms of educational, professional, or any other worthwhile accomplishments.

Case in point, let me know when Caribbean and African immigrants successfully take on whites, Jews, and wealthy Asians in NYC. They have a LONG way to go..........

There was President Obama, but he was raised by his white american family. He went to Columbia and Harvard. His Black American wife went to Princeton and Harvard, but she's not interested in running for office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 AM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,666,164 times
Reputation: 9170
I live in Spain. I meet Africans all the type. The first thing they generally ask me is where I'm from. They're generally surprised I moved here, because they view the US as a perfect country.

Many of the Africans here are merchants (restaurants, selling stuff on the streets, etc). The illegal street merchants have problems with the police. Marijuana is legal in Barcelona if you buy it from a licensed marijuana association, but you'll see lots of street African drug dealers in Barcelona in the gothic district. And yes they have problems with the police. Many of the African immigrants in Europe are refugees.

Now of course there are well off and educated Africans in Europe. But to be completely honest from what I see that's not the majority.

It's even harder for poor Africans to go to the US (but it happens obviously, look at all the African cab drivers) and NYC has no tolerance for street merchants.

Every African I've met in Spain has been nice to me.

The African American population in Europe is small, and to even get visas (not counting military people) you generally have an advanced education. So an African or for that matter anyone else meeting an African American in Europe will assume they are well off because for some obvious reasons you aren't getting poor African Americans in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 AM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,666,164 times
Reputation: 9170
The African Americans who go to Africa itself are obviously well off as well, and people from Africa know poor African Americans aren't going to be able to come. So obvious the assumption will be the AA is rich. This is something Americans will face wherever they go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top