U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 10:04 AM

9,943 posts, read 6,661,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's even harder for poor Africans to go to the US (but it happens obviously, look at all the African cab drivers) and NYC has no tolerance for street merchants.
Some of those cab drivers (often Nigerian or Ghanian) may be studying for their masters' degrees while driving. At least that was the case in Washington, DC when I lived there many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:58 PM

2,848 posts, read 1,685,491 times
Black Panther? Honestly though As a bi-racial American I have often thought about this. Also interesting how in South Africa I would be considered white.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 PM

1,991 posts, read 879,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Some of those cab drivers (often Nigerian or Ghanian) may be studying for their masters' degrees while driving. At least that was the case in Washington, DC when I lived there many years ago.
Depending on the age group itís the same here. If they are older than they are probably taking care of a family!

Old 03-24-2018, 12:23 AM

24,290 posts, read 17,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
They'd be few and far between. The workload from any challenging masters program is such that working as a cab driver full time would screw up their studies, and in grad school you cannot get below a B.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:25 AM

24,290 posts, read 17,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Depending on the age group itís the same here. If they are older than they are probably taking care of a family!
Clearly it's they're few and far between. African grad students are mostly well off.

There's no way lots of poor person is working full time as a grad student and attending a reputable graduate program. The workload in grad school is tough, and you can't get below Bs..........

Old 03-29-2018, 12:50 PM

34 posts, read 61,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Do any of you live in places where the two meet? If so what have their interactions been like?
The African American women probably like the African men as many of the women usually marry Africans.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:52 PM

34 posts, read 61,354 times
Quote:
They'd be few and far between. The workload from any challenging masters program is such that working as a cab driver full time would screw up their studies, and in grad school you cannot get below a B.
Africans are used to that. Unless they are on a scholarship most Africans finance their own studies through work and still manage to take care of people back home. Some of these men are primary bread winners and will probably be taking care of the whole tribe.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:34 PM

1,991 posts, read 879,042 times
Quote:
Clearly it's they're few and far between. African grad students are mostly well off.

There's no way lots of poor person is working full time as a grad student and attending a reputable graduate program. The workload in grad school is tough, and you can't get below Bs..........
I worked full time most of my grad school. Iím in my last semester now and this is the only semester that Iím not working. Funny because itís also my shortest semester!

Old 03-31-2018, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 1,522 times
Default Black Americans vs Africans

Quote:
Do any of you live in places where the two meet? If so what have their interactions been like?
Having lived in Uganda and Kenya I can tell you that many Africans in these two countries are basically friendly and hard working while most Black Americans are extremely angry and can not seem to move forward and they focus on "what all the white people have done to them". I found black American women full of hatred towards white women . Lack of understanding and not having the will to listen instead of talk is keeping them treading water. Its a very sad state.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:23 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,964,964 times
Quote:
I agree that both groups have little in common beyond us both having African roots. The cultures and experiances of both groups are different like was pointed out. It really comes down to both groups needing a way to get broader exposure to each other. We Black-Americans generally know very little about Africa. But I relate this to how we've been exposed to Africa. For most Black-Americans our main exposure to Africa have been Tarzan movies,news and events focusing on poverty and famine and shows dealing with Africa's wild life.

One thing that Africa could use more of is a bigger cinema and media presence. People can learn a lot about other people just by seeing their movies and TV shows. Most Black-Americans and Americans in general have never seen an African movie or TV show. Seeing more African movies and media can broaden Black-American's view of African people and the continent as a whole. This is why I like watching shows like 'Inside Africa','African Voices' and 'Market Place Africa' on the CNN International Channel. These shows give Americans more exposure to Africa beyond what we've gotten in the past.
Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or