U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 AM

24,247 posts, read 17,654,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I worked full time most of my grad school. Iím in my last semester now and this is the only semester that Iím not working. Funny because itís also my shortest semester!
You didn't say what you were studying or where you studied........

Grad school for me was at Columbia. Few people worked full time or remained working full time because of the INTENSE demands of grad school itself. If anything people commonly had to quit their jobs.

You don't have people taxi driving their way through grad school at any top graduate program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderfulReverend View Post
Africans are used to that. Unless they are on a scholarship most Africans finance their own studies through work and still manage to take care of people back home. Some of these men are primary bread winners and will probably be taking care of the whole tribe.
There were no Africans doing this at Columbia University, where I got my masters. Tuition was 20,000 a semester, and the workload was intense.

I would say the same for any top program at the Ivy League, and any other top university.

Ethnic pride is one thing, but outright lying is another.

The workload was so intense at Columbia people had to quit their jobs, as one cannot get below a B in grad school.

Btw, top graduate programs admit you not just on the basics of your academics, but on your professional experience. Driving a cab is not professional experience and that's actually a big negative for admission committees.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelrose55 View Post
Having lived in Uganda and Kenya I can tell you that many Africans in these two countries are basically friendly and hard working while most Black Americans are extremely angry and can not seem to move forward and they focus on "what all the white people have done to them". I found black American women full of hatred towards white women . Lack of understanding and not having the will to listen instead of talk is keeping them treading water. Its a very sad state.
Of course most of Africa has major poverty issues, major violence issues, major issues of economic underdevelopment, and lots of Africans are leaving from whatever country in Africa to move to Europe.

Human trafficking is big.

And life is not necessarily a bed of roses for them in Europe. You'll see lots of Africans on the street in Barcelona promoting weed clubs. Not that different from the African American drug dealers on the street in the US.

Other thing, many Africans in Spain make a living by selling stuff on the street (clothes, shoes, bags). Without a permit this is illegal and many of them do indeed have problems with the police.

Of course there are wealthy African immigrants in Spain and Europe and there are professionals and educated people. So I'm definitely not trying to stereotype Africans.

But to claim African American=bad or angry and African=good and friendly is absolutely plain WRONG and inaccurate. You've major issues throughout the CONTINENT of Africa, and African immigrants in the West do have their share of issues.

Not to mention the forced prostitution and other forms of human trafficking concerning African immigrants in Europe.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:33 AM

The human traffickers of Africans in Europe make them not only sell their bodies, but they also sell drugs. In the gay scene one can find people who are both drug dealer and prostitute.

So to claim that Africans just move wherever and work hard and all is well is essentially an outright lie.

It's hard for immigrants who do not have citizenship to protest bad treatment, and of course they are afraid to speak out for some pretty obvious reasons.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/04/a...ing/index.html

Blood as Nigerian drug, cult gangs take Europe, America, Asia by storm – Punch Newspapers

This is an interesting article on the various factors that lead Nigerians to work as drug traffickers.
https://www.omicsonline.org/open-acc....php?aid=87373

Old 04-06-2018, 02:41 AM

It's a lot harder for a poor African to get to the US than it is for Europe. So definitely in the US one will see higher percentage of Nigerian or Ghanian doctors or engineers. That does not mean everyone from these countries is a professional or is well educated. You have a much higher percentage of Africans who arrived in Europe via human trafficking, and as noted many of them work in organized crime.

Now of course there are hard working Africans here who work in whatever job, and yes I see Africans go to work on the train for regular jobs here in Barcelona. Some Africans came here on work or student visas or invested in Spain and got citizenship that way.

But that doesn't mean that you don't have large numbers of trafficking victims who live in truly deplorable conditions. Of course you have human and drug trafficking in the Caribbean as well, and yes many of them too have been busted for those things in the Caribbean and in the US itself.

Lots of Caribbean men in NYC have gotten caught up in the war on drugs, as during the Giuliani and Bloomberg administrations just possession of weed could lead to a jail sentence.

Not to mention African immigrants like Diallo who have been slain by the police, or Haitian/Caribbean immigrants who have been slain or killed by the NYPD. I remember when the city was sued under Giuliani because racist cops broke a Haitian man's teeth and stuck a plunger up his butt.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:06 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,841,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelrose55 View Post
Having lived in Uganda and Kenya I can tell you that many Africans in these two countries are basically friendly and hard working while most Black Americans are extremely angry and can not seem to move forward and they focus on "what all the white people have done to them". I found black American women full of hatred towards white women . Lack of understanding and not having the will to listen instead of talk is keeping them treading water. Its a very sad state.
Anger among black men and hatred among black women toward whoever doesn’t stem from white people. It stems from a dysfunctional nuclear family where folks need someone to blame. In America, households get more welfare when there is no man in the house so there’s a financial incentive for black and poor families not to get married or have men in the house. They get taxed more and lose all kinds of welfare if there is a working man in the house.

This has led to a fast deterioration and dysfunction of the entire black community.

The irony is that blacks have largely voted for liberals/Democrats and the liberals are responsible for this massive welfare state that incentivized fatherless homes.

So Africans will come to America, get educated at top schools, accept scholarships that were actually meant for black Americans, and go on about their business. While black Americans largely sit around, commit crime, wait for handouts, and blame white people. Black professional athletes, entertainers, and educated blacks are the exception not the rule.

It is a sad state. And make no mistake, Obama was more African than he was African American. He had the work ethic of a typical African in America. Although he had liberals views, he rarely whines about white people as they’re the ones who helped to elect him twice.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Anger among black men and hatred among black women toward whoever doesnít stem from white people. It stems from a dysfunctional nuclear family where folks need someone to blame. In America, households get more welfare when there is no man in the house so thereís a financial incentive for black and poor families not to get married or have men in the house. They get taxed more and lose all kinds of welfare if there is a working man in the house.

This has led to a fast deterioration and dysfunction of the entire black community.

The irony is that blacks have largely voted for liberals/Democrats and the liberals are responsible for this massive welfare state that incentivized fatherless homes.

So Africans will come to America, get educated at top schools, accept scholarships that were actually meant for black Americans, and go on about their business. While black Americans largely sit around, commit crime, wait for handouts, and blame white people. Black professional athletes, entertainers, and educated blacks are the exception not the rule.

It is a sad state. And make no mistake, Obama was more African than he was African American. He had the work ethic of a typical African in America. Although he had liberals views, he rarely whines about white people as theyíre the ones who helped to elect him twice.
Obama was more white american. His African father abandoned his mother and got a new wife. His was raised by his white mother and his white grandparents. Obama isn't an African success story. His wife Michelle Obama though had two African American parents and has degrees from Princeton and Harvard.

Btw, Ivy League universities were for white men only and did not accept Blacks or Women until Lyndon Johnson and the Democrats signed the civil rights bill. So Obama would not have been able to attend Columbia or Harvard or run for office had it not been for the Democrats and their civil rights legislation.

Lastly, some white americans like yourself need to check yourself. You don't know anything about being Black, and it's absolutely ridiculous for someone who doesn't know anything about something or a community to try to lecture those from that group.

Plenty of regular Black people without degrees AND who are not athletes, entertainers, or politicians have jobs and work.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Obama was more white american. His African father abandoned his mother and got a new wife. His was raised by his white mother and his white grandparents. Obama isn't an African success story. His wife Michelle Obama though had two African American parents and has degrees from Princeton and Harvard.

Btw, Ivy League universities were for white men only and did not accept Blacks or Women until Lyndon Johnson and the Democrats signed the civil rights bill. So Obama would not have been able to attend Columbia or Harvard or run for office had it not been for the Democrats and their civil rights legislation.

Lastly, some white americans like yourself need to check yourself. You don't know anything about being Black, and it's absolutely ridiculous for someone who doesn't know anything about something or a community to try to lecture those from that group.

Plenty of regular Black people without degrees AND who are not athletes, entertainers, or politicians have jobs and work.
I’m black and educated, sorry for the breaking news.

Obama largely still has roots to Kenya and an African father where most African Americans have no ties at all to Africa. His wife makes no difference, most African American men or women aren’t attending Ivy League schools. It’s Africans.

BTW Ivy Leagues actively discrimate against East Asians and are currently facing a lawsuit by them so I’m not sure why going to a racist institution is something one should brag about

Lastly, again I’m a black conservative American and it’s pretty sad we have another poster on this site who believes that all black people need to think a certain way towards their own community. With this type of backwards and simple mindset, it’s no wonder we haven’t made much progress in America.

Plenty of regular black people without degrees don’t work due to criminal records that keep them unemployed or underemployed. I can post the statistics for you. Every college sociology class in America goes over them.

Oh and since you don’t think I’m black, I’ll gladly take a snapshot of my black skin/arm in front of my settings profile on City Data but I’m sure you’re already embarrassed enough for assuming I was white.

Last edited by Rocko20; 04-06-2018 at 10:00 AM..

Old 04-06-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Iím black and educated, sorry for the breaking news.

Obama largely still has roots to Kenya and an African father where most African Americans have no ties at all to Africa. His wife makes no difference, most African American men or women arenít attending Ivy League schools. Itís Africans.

BTW Ivy Leagues actively discrimate against East Asians and are currently facing a lawsuit by them so Iím not sure why going to a racist institution is something one should brag about

Lastly, again Iím a black conservative American and itís pretty sad we have another poster on this site who believes that all black people need to think a certain way towards their own community. With this type of backwards and simple mindset, itís no wonder we havenít made much progress in America.

Plenty of regular black people without degrees donít work due to criminal records that keep them unemployed or underemployed. I can post the statistics for you. Every college sociology class in America goes over them.

Oh and since you donít think Iím black, Iíll gladly take a snapshot of my black skin/arm in front of my settings profile on City Data but Iím sure youíre already embarrassed enough for assuming I was white.
I attended two Ivy League universities and Iím African American...

Most Black Americans arenít conservative, even highly successful ones. So donít go there with most.

Of course white racists will post online as white. Youíre probably a paid Russian troll!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I attended two Ivy League universities and I’m African American...
Too bad you didn't graduate from them.
Quote:
Most Black Americans aren’t conservative, even highly successful ones. So don’t go there with most.
Colin Powell, Ben Carson, Clarence Thomas, Alan Keys, Thomas Sowell, Booker T Washington, Condoleezza Riceand, and Herman Cain say otherwise. But yes, the majority of the black community is liberal, hence the reason we're still struggling and blaming the white man for our problems while African immigrants dance circles around us when it comes to education.

Maybe one day we'll learn, like African immigrants, that politicians aren't going to save us with legislation and handouts.

Quote:
Of course white racists will post online as white. You’re probably a paid Russian troll!
Sorry to disappoint you again but, no, I'm indeed a conservative black educated veteran. Does it hurt to be wrong this often?

Let's not forget the great Cart G Woodson
Quote:
"If the Negro in the ghetto must eternally be fed by the hand that pushes him into the ghetto, he will never become strong enough to get out of the ghetto."
If you really think a white person or Russian troll would read the Mis-Education of the Negro and Up from Slavery you really have problems, which explains why you're so quick to blame them for all black related issues.

Last edited by Rocko20; 04-06-2018 at 10:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or