U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-26-2018, 02:34 PM
 
7,454 posts, read 5,962,907 times
Reputation: 3804

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Bad example rocko20, Kanye West? Come on Obama was right about that guy he's a jackass! The guy is a publicity ***** just looking for a lot of attention.
We must pity poor Rocko and the rest of his ilk. They peddle Ben Carson, whose sole achievement as head of HUD is to attempt to lavish thousands to fix his office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2018, 02:37 PM
 
7,454 posts, read 5,962,907 times
Reputation: 3804
[quote=NyWriterdude;51721806]I don't think he's a jackass, but if he is, whatever. I do think he's entitled to vote for who he pleases. That's really all that should be said about that.[/QUOTE

He is entitled to vote as he wishes, and when he screams that blacks are stupid for not voting for the GOP, the party which attracts white supremacists, then we are also entitled to opine that this is further evidence that he is an idiot.

The GOP needs to listen to people like black Republicans Michael Steele who has expressed what they have to do to attract blacks. But he is a sensible and intelligent man who thinks for himself, and he doesn't drink the GOP cool aid, so they don't listen to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 06:34 PM
 
24,275 posts, read 17,711,803 times
Reputation: 9183
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Poor Africans manage to get all the way to Sweden so poverty doesn't restrict travel. The Senegalese and Malians living in NYC tend to be poor and yet they can get a passport and a plane to arrive in the USA. These tend not to be your African doctors and engineers.

Poor AAs don't perceive benefit from leaving the USA so they don't, so have no need for a passport. More affluent AAs who do most likely do so for experience, not to improve their financial situation. They want to experience something different from life in the USA, not because they think that they will become more affluent.

The Ghanaian might tell you that police in that country can also be lawless so I doubt that this will impact how he feels. This might even be something as small as refusing to/being unable to pay a bribe. So that alone isn't going to change how he sees the USA. He sees the AA living in the USA and him struggling to get there, or to the UK. If the AA doesn't emphasize with this perspective, but instead wallows in his own definition of what being black is then we aren't getting any real "black brotherhood" going on.

There are large numbers of Africans now living in NYC. That they live in neighborhoods with other blacks doesn't change this fact. When next you are in NYC jump on the #4. There are now large communities from Nigeria, Ghana, Mali, and Senegal. The Anglophones live among Caribbean immigrants while the Francophone Muslims as well as some Ghanaians live in the west Bronx.
Poor African Americans will not get visas to stay in Europe long term, and for an American to live long term in Europe without legal status means the person will not be able to get medical care, work legally, and will have a host of other problems. They won't be able to access social services, and may very well end up homeless.

Africans who do get to Sweden, even illegally where not that poor as people PAY human traffickers thousands of dollars to smuggle them in.

African immigrants are not the largest demographic group of immigrants in NYC or the US.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/d...kers-2013.page

From NYC's website, 4.2% of the city's foreign born population is African. The US's controls against poor Africans entering the country work pretty well, though obviously a few slip through.

Notice no African nation is even in the top 10 sources of immigrants to NYC.

Affluent AAs who come to Europe do so for a variety of reasons. To study or learn foreign languages, or at times to work in certain fields. Depending on what they do in Europe, this has major impact on what sorts of opportunities available to them in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 04:58 PM
 
7,454 posts, read 5,962,907 times
Reputation: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Poor African Americans will not get visas to stay in Europe long term, and for an American to live long term in Europe without legal status means the person will not be able to get medical care, work legally, and will have a host of other problems. They won't be able to access social services, and may very well end up homeless.

Africans who do get to Sweden, even illegally where not that poor as people PAY human traffickers thousands of dollars to smuggle them in.

African immigrants are not the largest demographic group of immigrants in NYC or the US.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/d...kers-2013.page

From NYC's website, 4.2% of the city's foreign born population is African. The US's controls against poor Africans entering the country work pretty well, though obviously a few slip through.

Notice no African nation is even in the top 10 sources of immigrants to NYC.

Affluent AAs who come to Europe do so for a variety of reasons. To study or learn foreign languages, or at times to work in certain fields. Depending on what they do in Europe, this has major impact on what sorts of opportunities available to them in the US.

You can come up with outlandish ideas at times. At what point did I claim that Africans were the largest immigrant group in the USA? The reason why poor Africans cannot come to the USA is that they must cross a whole ocean to get here, meaning that they must arrive through ports of entry.

Americans don't need visas to enter much of Europe. A poor person can more easily live underground than you or I as they will be more willing to work in the underground economy. So what keeps poor black Americans back is that they don't see the return from this to be worth the risk, but I can assure you that there are loads of poor Irish and other Europeans living in the USA illegally.

This is where this whole DACA things comes about. The reason why its almost exclusively Hispanics who are engaged in this battle is because it is those who have land borders with the USA who can enter illegally, so it will be Mexicans and Central Americans. The vast majority of Caribbean immigrants are here in the USA LEGALLY, because it is hard to get visitors' visas or student visas to enter the USA. Yes one can over stay but then the US State Dept. indicates that less than 3% do.

Why don't you check neighborhoods in NYC that you know to be mainly West Indian and then check that statistics indicate that only 20% of the population is. While the census allows PRs, Cubans, Indians and others to check their national box I can only check the "African American/black" box, so I am recorded as an African American, even though clearly I am not. So don't use statistics to gauge how many Africans live in NYC.

Since I have been living in NYC the West Indian population has been estimated at 25% of the overall black population, even including places like East Flatbush. Even after the heavy immigration of the 80s and 90s and the heavy outmigration of black Americans since then. You know fully well that the population is larger than this


A Nigerian doctor isn't going to endure the danger, the hardships or the humiliation that being an economic refugee entails. The end result being selling counterfeits on the streets of Paris or Rome.


Its the poor, whose lives are already hard, who will undergo this. And in fact the tragedy in all of this is that these trips are funded by the sale of the limited assets owned by the extended family and also be incurring debt. Those being sold in Libya are suffering through this as they cannot repay the traffickers. So their families back home are now destitute as they sold off everything, and the migrant who was to help them is now enslaved some where in North Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 11:10 PM
 
24,275 posts, read 17,711,803 times
Reputation: 9183
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You can come up with outlandish ideas at times. At what point did I claim that Africans were the largest immigrant group in the USA? The reason why poor Africans cannot come to the USA is that they must cross a whole ocean to get here, meaning that they must arrive through ports of entry.

Americans don't need visas to enter much of Europe. A poor person can more easily live underground than you or I as they will be more willing to work in the underground economy. So what keeps poor black Americans back is that they don't see the return from this to be worth the risk, but I can assure you that there are loads of poor Irish and other Europeans living in the USA illegally.

This is where this whole DACA things comes about. The reason why its almost exclusively Hispanics who are engaged in this battle is because it is those who have land borders with the USA who can enter illegally, so it will be Mexicans and Central Americans. The vast majority of Caribbean immigrants are here in the USA LEGALLY, because it is hard to get visitors' visas or student visas to enter the USA. Yes one can over stay but then the US State Dept. indicates that less than 3% do.

Why don't you check neighborhoods in NYC that you know to be mainly West Indian and then check that statistics indicate that only 20% of the population is. While the census allows PRs, Cubans, Indians and others to check their national box I can only check the "African American/black" box, so I am recorded as an African American, even though clearly I am not. So don't use statistics to gauge how many Africans live in NYC.

Since I have been living in NYC the West Indian population has been estimated at 25% of the overall black population, even including places like East Flatbush. Even after the heavy immigration of the 80s and 90s and the heavy outmigration of black Americans since then. You know fully well that the population is larger than this


A Nigerian doctor isn't going to endure the danger, the hardships or the humiliation that being an economic refugee entails. The end result being selling counterfeits on the streets of Paris or Rome.


Its the poor, whose lives are already hard, who will undergo this. And in fact the tragedy in all of this is that these trips are funded by the sale of the limited assets owned by the extended family and also be incurring debt. Those being sold in Libya are suffering through this as they cannot repay the traffickers. So their families back home are now destitute as they sold off everything, and the migrant who was to help them is now enslaved some where in North Africa.
Oh so the statistics are wrong when they don't fit what you want them to. Well despite Black immigrants the Black population of NYC itself is decreasing, and nationally the Hispanic and Asian populations are growing. The US controls against Black immigrants are successful enough. Those statistics are right.

African immigrants EXIST in NYC certainly, but are SIMPLY not the majority of immigrants coming in.

Poor African Americans, if they moved to Europe without visas would go from poor to destitute. Poor undocumented Africans work consist of drug dealing, prostitution, selling various items in the street, and illegally promoting marijuana clubs. At least here in Barcelona. Obviously that isn't enticing too poor African Americans. Europe is extremely bureaucratic and those without papers are pushed to the fringes of society to the extreme. You won't even get regular cellphone services without legal status, nor can you rent an apartment without legal status (you can move into a decayed slummy building where you share a room with god knows how many people without legal status).

The US is a rich country, so poor people here are not globally that poor and there is absolutely no reason poor Americans would put themselves through that. So for the most part Americans won't go unless they can get legal status.

Re: poor Africans entering Europe, European nations know have Arab North African and the nations further South acting as filters for migrants who might attempt to cross over to the Mediterranean. So the ability of poor migrants to enter Europe that was has dramatically dropped and those that want to even dream of this have to pay thousands of dollars to be human trafficked, meaning that they aren't the poorest people from their home countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,627 posts, read 16,479,360 times
Reputation: 6351
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Of course Sierra Leone, which has been independent for almost 60 years, is such a "success" story that that idiot can write his Uncle Tom nonsense about American blacks. Yes this nation ranking amongst the poorest in the world, despite its ample reserves of water and natural resources! Why are the people there so dumb that they cannot do better?
The article by the immigrant is actually pretty balanced. Sierra Leone is a wretched country though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,627 posts, read 16,479,360 times
Reputation: 6351
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Aah yes, Haiti another success story and evidence about how progressive blacks in the 21st century are. Been independent almost as long as the USA and yet they are the most BACKWARD nation in the Caribbean.

The only thing that i want out of a Haitian's mouth is an explanation as to why this is and I bet it will include ample complaints about how whites treated that nation.
Top complaint I get is some debt they had to pay France. When I point out the debt was paid off in the 40s. They then respond with well itís racism and USA. I then point out in the 60s DR and Haiti had the same GDP per capita but now DRís GDP per capita is 10x higher, nothing but crickets from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 02:05 PM
 
151 posts, read 81,178 times
Reputation: 225
I'm not writing this to start an argument with you. I just want to offer a different POV. The United States has the whole world thinking that "American" means just people from this country and that's not true. So, this is what I wish that people of African descent in the Caribbean, Central America and South America would understand: You are ALL African-Americans, too! The Caribbean is a part of the continent of North America. Central America is part of the continent of North America, we just call it "central" because of where it lies in proximity to the largest land mass on North America and the continent of South America. But, altogether the entire geographical area is AMERICA and we are ALL Americans. The United States does not own, or exclusively get to use, the word "America". And, because ALL of the people of African descent who live in THE AMERICAS GOT HERE THE SAME WAY AND ARE THE SAME PEOPLE (your ancestors just got off the ship before ours, that's all), we really need to stop this separation, because we are ALL African-American! Having different cultural practices due to where our ancestors got off the slave ships does NOT negate that. And, in fact, we probably have more things in common than not.

So, I think we really need to move past this "I'm not African American" thing. Yes, actually, you are. You're just not an AA from the USA... and that's OK. I'm an AA from the USA (even though I don't like that term), but there are some things about the culture that I don't take part in, to the point that I'm called a white girl or "siditty" by some of my fellow AAs who misguidedly think they have to "keep it real". I just SMH and keep it moving. We can't help them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You can come up with outlandish ideas at times. At what point did I claim that Africans were the largest immigrant group in the USA? The reason why poor Africans cannot come to the USA is that they must cross a whole ocean to get here, meaning that they must arrive through ports of entry.

Americans don't need visas to enter much of Europe. A poor person can more easily live underground than you or I as they will be more willing to work in the underground economy. So what keeps poor black Americans back is that they don't see the return from this to be worth the risk, but I can assure you that there are loads of poor Irish and other Europeans living in the USA illegally.

This is where this whole DACA things comes about. The reason why its almost exclusively Hispanics who are engaged in this battle is because it is those who have land borders with the USA who can enter illegally, so it will be Mexicans and Central Americans. The vast majority of Caribbean immigrants are here in the USA LEGALLY, because it is hard to get visitors' visas or student visas to enter the USA. Yes one can over stay but then the US State Dept. indicates that less than 3% do.

Why don't you check neighborhoods in NYC that you know to be mainly West Indian and then check that statistics indicate that only 20% of the population is. While the census allows PRs, Cubans, Indians and others to check their national box I can only check the "African American/black" box, so I am recorded as an African American, even though clearly I am not. So don't use statistics to gauge how many Africans live in NYC.

Since I have been living in NYC the West Indian population has been estimated at 25% of the overall black population, even including places like East Flatbush. Even after the heavy immigration of the 80s and 90s and the heavy outmigration of black Americans since then. You know fully well that the population is larger than this


A Nigerian doctor isn't going to endure the danger, the hardships or the humiliation that being an economic refugee entails. The end result being selling counterfeits on the streets of Paris or Rome.


Its the poor, whose lives are already hard, who will undergo this. And in fact the tragedy in all of this is that these trips are funded by the sale of the limited assets owned by the extended family and also be incurring debt. Those being sold in Libya are suffering through this as they cannot repay the traffickers. So their families back home are now destitute as they sold off everything, and the migrant who was to help them is now enslaved some where in North Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2018, 02:25 AM
 
24,275 posts, read 17,711,803 times
Reputation: 9183
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Top complaint I get is some debt they had to pay France. When I point out the debt was paid off in the 40s. They then respond with well itís racism and USA. I then point out in the 60s DR and Haiti had the same GDP per capita but now DRís GDP per capita is 10x higher, nothing but crickets from them.
Horrible leadership at the hands of Papa Doc and Baby Doc wrecked the country. Haitians now flee the country in such numbers it breaks the economy for those left. Venezuela is the same way. In a very short time 1 percent of Haiti's population went to Chile alone. Large numbers have gone to Brazil, Mexico, etc and more will find themselves in other nations as well. Venezuelans move in large numbers all over South America, the Caribbean, the US, and Europe. These two countries are completely FAILED states at this point, and it would take many generations to repair things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,627 posts, read 16,479,360 times
Reputation: 6351
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Horrible leadership at the hands of Papa Doc and Baby Doc wrecked the country. Haitians now flee the country in such numbers it breaks the economy for those left. Venezuela is the same way. In a very short time 1 percent of Haiti's population went to Chile alone. Large numbers have gone to Brazil, Mexico, etc and more will find themselves in other nations as well. Venezuelans move in large numbers all over South America, the Caribbean, the US, and Europe. These two countries are completely FAILED states at this point, and it would take many generations to repair things.
I've read about the Haitians fleeing to Chile. They found a loophole in Chile's immigration policy that essentially gives anyone that can get there a work permit. So in short order upwards of 150K Haitians have arrived there in a few years. The Chileans don't want to close the loophole as the left wingers are all about open borders and the center right government thinks there is a labor shortage.

Of course now many Haitians can't find jobs and are now penniless. These people suffer a lot.

I can see Venezuela recovering though they have a bourgeois class. A right wing coup should get things back on track there. Haiti is hopeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top