Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Bit of topic but in the UK Afro-Caribbeans and Black Africans from West Africa typically live side by side and many West Indians seem to think that they're superior to West Africans.

The uncomfortable reason for this is that Europeans brainwashed us (and still dies via media) that African-ness is bad, dirty, ugly etc so obviously Afro-Caribbean being more European or a blend (Creole) they think their better than West Africans.

In the world the more European you are or dress the less racial discrimination or stereotyping you have to endure through society. Society includes looking for jobs, self pride and identification and perception of beauty.

I am also aware that many Africans think that they are better than Afro Caribbeans.

1. That backward self hating 1950s style thinking that you describe, that the Caribbean itself has moved beyond.

2. Africans are more educated than Afro Caribbean people, even though the latter have been in the UK for at least THREE generations.

3. The Afro Caribbean population in the UK is seen as a "problem" group with much talk about poor educational outcomes, involvement in crime, etc.

4. Africans see themselves as more ambitious, and more entrepreneurial and with brighter prospects. Indeed on another thread (I think in politics about a Ghanaian kid) it showed that African kids in the UK school system are performing on par with white English kids, while Afro Caribbean kids now even trail Bangladeshi kids, with only kids of white/Caribbean ancestry performing almost as badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 04:07 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I am also aware that many Africans think that they are better than Afro Caribbeans.

1. That backward self hating 1950s style thinking that you describe, that the Caribbean itself has moved beyond.

2. Africans are more educated than Afro Caribbean people, even though the latter have been in the UK for at least THREE generations.

3. The Afro Caribbean population in the UK is seen as a "problem" group with much talk about poor educational outcomes, involvement in crime, etc.

4. Africans see themselves as more ambitious, and more entrepreneurial and with brighter prospects. Indeed on another thread (I think in politics about a Ghanaian kid) it showed that African kids in the UK school system are performing on par with white English kids, while Afro Caribbean kids now even trail Bangladeshi kids, with only kids of white/Caribbean ancestry performing almost as badly.
Hmm...

Old 08-26-2015, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,738 times
It depends tbh. For those people saying African men seem to be the only ones marrying AA people. I think its true for the most part because i rarely see the other way around. Most of the African women I know who have married out of their culture its mostly to white men

Old 08-27-2015, 08:04 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
As an AA I know 3 African males who have married AAs and started families...these women are on the same educational
level as they are (college-educated)...A Jamaican female friend told me she noticed in England...white men date black
women while in the U.S. you see many AA males with white women..

So I guess in England there is a different cultural dynamic at play than in the U.S..in relation to black women.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:15 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
AA's think anyone with a brown or black skin color is automatically one of them. I know indians that have been harrassed by AA's because they got in an argument with them about whether they are black. The black man just said you got dark skin so you must be african dont deny your heritage

Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 AM

404 posts, read 385,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
AA's think anyone with a brown or black skin color is automatically one of them. I know indians that have been harrassed by AA's because they got in an argument with them about whether they are black. The black man just said you got dark skin so you must be african dont deny your heritage
That's silly. Most AA's know better. Jeez.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:55 PM

117 posts, read 137,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes,its incredible you don't know AA history.
AA weren't even allowed to fully participate in democracy until the 1960's.
Before then,they were still considered 3/5 of a human.
So,in REALITY,AA have only had the 60's to progress.
Going by statistics,more and more are entering the middle class every year.
I think they are doing an outstanding job.
Got anything else you wohld like to say negative about AA?

You guys come from monoracial societies,yet you expect AA(who are a whooping 12% of the population of the Usa) to be doing better than what they are doing now?
The GDP of black America is more than any African country.
I know the comment that I am responding to is two years old, but how can a group of people have a GDP?
If that's the case wouldn't African Americans have their own currency with African American people on the cover of the bills? Strange if you ask me. African Americans don't even have their own land in the US to even claim a GDP

Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 PM

117 posts, read 137,092 times
But the reasoning of tension between the two are very simple. Africans come to work and that's about it. America is where African Americans were raised and still till this day feel the effects of institutional racism. Africans and West Indian people didn't come to America to complain about such things, even though it actually affects them also. They all come here for one thing only that's opportunity, hence the reason why you see a lot of west indian women walking white babies around Manhattan, and Brooklyn. You cant catch an AA doing that type of job, but as I said it all comes down to the viewpoints of each group.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:21 PM

Immigrants come for economic opportunity and don't have time to get caught up in internal American racial issues what might be a big deal to Americans may not be a big deal to them..They don't have the luxury of worrying about racial issues, they
are dealing with bare survival in many cases fleeing wars, famines, massacres and crazy dictators...

It is a degree of priorities...is it more important to stay alive or worry about someone not liking your color?...America has
serious issues but the electricity is on, water is running there aren't massacres on American streets killing 40,000 people
by a single group. or the possibility of such..

Old 08-28-2015, 09:24 PM

I am AA but I can see where many immigrants are coming from..they are coming from life or death situations or having to
make decisions that will change their lives forever..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa