U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:36 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,134,541 times

Advertisements

Then nobody. Half of Taiwan is located below the Tropic of Cancer though, that's probably the closest case you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:29 AM

11,744 posts, read 6,316,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeWine View Post
Sub Saharan Africa isn't the only place with problems throughout the world but for some strange and often troubling reasons people tend to focus on black Africans and their shortcomings. What is the obsession?

Anyways though, I do not think it is quite fair to compare Africa and it's people to European standards. If Europe would have traded with the African population and kept their distance instead of enslaving and imposing their rule over people they had no business attempting to control, and treating them as less than human, Africa would be better off today. If America would have kept this trading relationship through the Industrial Age, Africa would have came up on their own time by their own rules in their own unique African way.

While Europeans have contributed to most of this planets advancement, they are to blame for mankind's inevitable demise and overwhelmingly cause some of humanities most vile "savage" crimes. (Putting fellow humans at risk all in the name of money!) Plus Europeans are to blame for the "death" of this planet which will be inevitable unless they implement solutions.

So while you are calling Africans savage, dumb and unintelligent (despite great kingdoms such as Ghana, Songhai, Mali and Timbuktu) Remember that savagery comes in many many forms nowadays. Remember that when you consume a genetically modified, lacking any nutritional value, pesticide covered fake apple from Monsanto. Or you have a doctor prescribe you something only because it gives them a bonus, despite its health risks to you!

Your fellow European isn't enslaving you, their doing worse! They are poisoning your body and mind, and knowing you will not do anything about it. To them you are not the same, you are not the 1% you are nothing but a SERF.

Europeans could learn a thing or two from these inferior savage stupid tribal people on how to be more one with nature and respect this planet before it's too late.
There's some truth to what you write. This reminds me of an important message from Disney's Pocahontas "Colors of the Wind," that reads:

"You think I'm an ignorant savage
And you've been so many places
I guess it must be so
But still I cannot see
If the savage one is me
How can there be so much that you don't know?
You don't know."

Simply because one hasn't adopted certain "accepted" ways does not make one a "savage."

Having written that, Africa certainly has its problems (not that you're claiming otherwise) and, when I think of a first world African nation, I think of a more developed Africa with fewer of the problems than we see today. There are several African nations with very large economies, but I wouldn't quite call those nations first world due to the high poverty and social strife that often exists within (think Nigeria and Boko Haram). And while Europeans are to blame for some of the strife we see in Africa today, let's be clear here: they aren't to blame for everything. Europeans controlled most of Africa for less than 100 years; Europe didn't completely destroy what had been for thousands of years prior. There's still great wealth in these nations and most of the peoples in these nations still have their own culture/language/etc. They can, like other nations once controlled by European powers (think several nations within Asia, including India, etc.) improve and do better than many are doing today.

A lot of Africa's problems today have to deal with corrupt leadership that sees wealth and resources being plundered for personal gain; you can't exactly blame Europeans for that. When the King of Swaziland, as one of many examples, is purported to be a billionaire while his nation lives in poverty and has the highest HIV infection rate on the planet, you can't blame Europeans for that.

Still, ultimately, what will be first world for Africa shouldn't be judged by European standards. I can agree there.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,750,376 times
South Africa was already developed and has been so long ago. In addition Rhodesia was also developed as well. Yet the ones that most benefited was the ruling White minority.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 PM

574 posts, read 1,672,042 times
The United States is Africa's first developed nation; built by Africans, maintained by Africans

Old 01-06-2015, 10:28 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,990,162 times
If we go by the paved roads no shanty towns prosperity for all but a small number measure I would say Tunisia. Currently.

Ghana has a good reasonably well educated society and low crime for Sub-Saharan africa but itstill has lots of dirt roads and shanty towns and still has a large percentage of extreme poverty among its population. South Africa is getting better but it needs to work to improve life for a large number of shanty town residents. South Africa still has crippling poverty and out of control crime

Old 01-11-2015, 06:24 AM

10,433 posts, read 12,439,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Then nobody. Half of Taiwan is located below the Tropic of Cancer though, that's probably the closest case you can get.
Mauritius and Seychelles?

Old 01-11-2015, 10:14 AM

^Definitely not developed.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:14 AM

10,433 posts, read 12,439,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^Definitely not developed.
Mauritius is ranked 63rd and Seychelles 71st in the world by the Human Development Index,
higher than some Eastern European countries- Serbia, Ukraine, Macedonia, Bosnia, Albania and Moldova.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Mauritius is ranked 63rd and Seychelles 71st in the world by the Human Development Index,
higher than some Eastern European countries- Serbia, Ukraine, Macedonia, Bosnia, Albania and Moldova.
Which means they are not developed. Serbia, Ukraine, Macedonia, B&H, Albania, and Moldova are.....quite underdeveloped, I'd say.
Anyway they are not comparable to Taiwan. We suck at many things but our HDI is comparable to Finland, Austria, or France.(which is bull**** if you ask me....but well they place South Korea and Hong Kong even higher so...whatever...)

Old 01-11-2015, 08:10 PM

1,024 posts, read 859,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
South Africa was already developed and has been so long ago. In addition Rhodesia was also developed as well. Yet the ones that most benefited was the ruling White minority.
Yes, you know, the ones that did the developing. Imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or