U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:46 PM

53 posts, read 160,275 times

Advertisements

Id say Kenya (2030 vision)

Nigeria will never be developed because with 900 million people by 2100, there will be no way of getting educated
175 million people today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 PM

562 posts, read 536,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I've personally haven't met one African student who went back. I'm sure some do who are connected to the elite. One classmate who spoke about going back Africa during school never did. When he didn't land a job post graduation he obtained a visa in a dubious fashion (marriage fraud).

I did have a Jamaican classmate that went back. She grew homesick.
Well, in my family...my uncle came, studied, got his Ph.D, and went back.

Has a plush job too...from what I hear.

And many live in transition...splitting their time, taking advantage of the exchange rates.

And, I believe the diaspora sends back in excess of a billion dollars every year.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:23 PM

48,054 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
Well, in my family...my uncle came, studied, got his Ph.D, and went back.

Has a plush job too...from what I hear.

And many live in transition...splitting their time, taking advantage of the exchange rates.

And, I believe the diaspora sends back in excess of a billion dollars every year.
There is also more to read.

African students abroad return home to seek work | African Management Initiative (AMI)

No place like home | Africa Renewal Online

Students return as greener pastures dry up

Africans Returning Home in Large Numbers

Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,424,212 times
Your articles are filled with anecdotes the last one doesn't even have that lol.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:48 AM

237 posts, read 152,586 times
Quote:
As if being Jamaican means you know everything about it.

Give us the Queen! - Lead Stories - Jamaica Gleaner - Tuesday | June 28, 2011
Hahaha, even I know the Jamaican gleaner is as trustworthy as Wikipedia. Think about this: 99% of statistics are false.

I just got on the phone asked 20 people I know In Jamaica. None of them said : yes I want to be British. So under your logic since a survey was conducted the study must be true......

Old 12-24-2013, 10:15 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,668,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What would be an example of African development?

I think there are basic things that represent development in general. Like having a large educated literate population. Developed infrastructure. A political system that allows people to elect leaders and to transfer power peacefully. A economic climate that allows entrepreneurs to prosper etc. These things are common to most developed countries and they could be applied to African countries as well.
Another indicator really for whatever country to be considered "developed" would be for all homes to have indoor plumbing, modern living conditions for everyone or almost everyone, the majority of the population living a modern, comfortable life.

People can look at numbers all they want for economic growth and such, but until getting down on street level and seeing what is mentioned above, there is no way I'd consider a place developed. Ghana as an example, my dad was just there recently, and it is a very run down, poor place- far, far from what anyone would consider even being close to developed.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Another indicator really for whatever country to be considered "developed" would be for all homes to have indoor plumbing, modern living conditions for everyone or almost everyone, the majority of the population living a modern, comfortable life.

People can look at numbers all they want for economic growth and such, but until getting down on street level and seeing what is mentioned above, there is no way I'd consider a place developed. Ghana as an example, my dad was just there recently, and it is a very run down, poor place- far, far from what anyone would consider even being close to developed.
Yes, but Namibia and Botswana are definitely upscale. However, as far as countries go they feel kind of empty, kind of like Utah or new mexico.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:45 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,927,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Never, African leaders can not lead. Africa will only become first world if they allow themselves to be colonolized again which is unlikely. When African countries were colonized, their economies were pretty good.

Except that no one will be foolish enough to do that. They can access the resources without assuming responsibility for all the problems.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:34 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,424,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
Hahaha, even I know the Jamaican gleaner is as trustworthy as Wikipedia. Think about this: 99% of statistics are false.

I just got on the phone asked 20 people I know In Jamaica. None of them said : yes I want to be British. So under your logic since a survey was conducted the study must be true......
Funny that you used the word "logic" in your diatribe since your thinking is anything but logical.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Funny that you used the word "logic" in your diatribe since your thinking is anything but logical.
It was logic. Think about how easy it is too manipulate statistics. All you have to do isnask the right people. And I'm right the Jamaica gleaner is like that sun globe magazine. No, sir. Please put logic in your diatribe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or