U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,440,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Wow! How nasty, judgemental, and lacking in any kind of truth. If it walks like a racist duck and talks like a racist duck.......
Notice though you didn't say what I was saying was false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,263,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not so, I didn't think your nasty post warranted any further response.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Quote:

Edward do you hate yourself. You daily bash black Americans, and now on an African topic you seem to bash Africans as well.

I know we black people have serious problems, but don't get so cynical that you also refuse to accept that there are also many good things about us.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:12 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,997,813 times
Quote:
Yeah and left to their own devices your husband's family and their neighbors would have been incapable if developing nothing more than tin shacks. There are two sides to a story your family was relocated the country got modern development and a rise of living standards.
Yeah there's no more racism since Obama got elected and MLK ...

Old 01-07-2014, 03:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,754,521 times
Quote:

Well it is.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 441,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I disagree. The native Africans weren't doing that well. There were a few that benefited. However, most Africans really didn't benefit at all. One example is the Congo. Alot of infrastructure was built by the Belgians in Kinshasa. However, none of that was for the native Africans. It was for the Belgians. There were alot of places Black people weren't even welcomed to be in apart from "servants". The people who benefited were those who were coming in from the ruling nations, not the natives.
My Congolese friend would strongly disagree that belgian rule was worse than current Congolese rule.

Of course, the belgians were paternalistic and it must have stung like hell to be ruled by foreigners of another race in your own country. But one thing is clear is that healthcare, the economy, schools and pretty much everything ran better when the belgians were in charge.
The same can be said about many, many black african countries.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
Well, in my family...my uncle came, studied, got his Ph.D, and went back.

Has a plush job too...from what I hear.

And many live in transition...splitting their time, taking advantage of the exchange rates.

And, I believe the diaspora sends back in excess of a billion dollars every year.
It depends on which country the students were from.
At one time, Gabon was flush with oil. They could afford to send students everywhere to study for free.
The students were pretty much guaranteed a good job upon return so most of them went back.
That's how it was for those Gabonese educated people who are 50 years old and older.

That time has gone by, unfortunately and the Gabonese have started to do what the other black
Africans do. They try to stick around in Canada, Usa, France, etc and are in no hurry to go back.
It's a pity.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:19 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Edward do you hate yourself. You daily bash black Americans, and now on an African topic you seem to bash Africans as well.

I know we black people have serious problems, but don't get so cynical that you also refuse to accept that there are also many good things about us.
If EdwardA is like me, he cares enough about black people that he simply can't stand to see how contented we are, in general, with mediocrity. He probably can't stand how ignorant we too often are and how blind an arrogant we are when we think that we got everything allright, when in reality we're doing very poorly and that it's not just the fault of someone else. I think of myself as someone who wishes more for the black race than what we have now and what we're told that we're supposed to dream about. I see myself as someone who thinks the situation with our race is too serious to refuse to see how bad it is.

Some positive :

Barbados and the Bahamas aren't in Africa but they probably have a good chance of becoming developed
Black nations. I think all of the caribbean black countries should learn at the feet of the Bajans and Bahamians and the Bermudans too.

I wish the best to Botswana. I admire them very, very much. I have a feeling that the aids problem there is real but much exagerated. Botswana is doing well and it wouldn't be doing well if even 25% of its population was on the verge of death. There has to be something wrong about the aids numbers.
Botswana is blessed with good leaders. It's blessed with ethnic quasi-homogeneity so no tribal strife garbage. Also, from what I can see, Botswana is blessed with an attitude about Europeans that's quite different from that of most Africans. They don't seem to feel all that resentment about the White man. It might have to do with the fact that they were a protectorate and not a colony.
So i hope Botswana can remain united, homogeneous, culturally vibrant, economically dynamic and democratic and determined to become a respectable, admired Black country.

I've been hearing about Ghana's bright future since the 80s so I don't know.

About Nigeria :
What would be awesome would be for all the smart, educated Nigerians to all move to one corner of that coutry and to take it over and make their own country. It could be only 10 million people but a country made up of only smart Nigerians would be awesome imho!

Equatorial Guinea : are you kidding me ? lol.

Gabon : That country wasted its window of opportunity into development, imho. It's a sad tale.

South-Africa : Sorry to be pessimistic but I think south-africa will be declining for a long time until it starts to rise again. South-Africa used to be a piece of Europe in Africa. The Europeans don't rule the place anymore so it's going to decline. Sorry.

Central African Republic: lol

Kenya :
Maybe. One thing that I find annoying is that all the development in Kenya seems to be done by and for Indians. Nothing against them but whenever I read about some awesome development in Kenya, it's always Indians involved and not black people. Sad.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:45 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,694,869 times
South Africa has developed infrastructure, but suffers from high crime and poverty. Libya, Tunisia and Morocco are somewhat well-off with higher life expectancies, although they are far from being Western-style democracies.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM

48,249 posts, read 45,529,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
My Congolese friend would strongly disagree that belgian rule was worse than current Congolese rule.

Of course, the belgians were paternalistic and it must have stung like hell to be ruled by foreigners of another race in your own country. But one thing is clear is that healthcare, the economy, schools and pretty much everything ran better when the belgians were in charge.
The same can be said about many, many black african countries.
The population in the Congo was cut in half during part of the rule under Belgium. Limbs cut off, people killed, starved, kidnapped,etc.

Can it be denied that the Belgian government used colonialism to exploit the Congo, and build up its own nation? Can it be disputed that the benefits the Congolese had were secondary?

BTW, the first recorded case of HIV in the world was in the Congo, in 1959, while it was still under Belgian rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or