U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:33 PM
 
13 posts, read 15,535 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

So I still don't know what's the big deal about people being white or something, I don't know I see all kinds of people here in Tunisia
Sadly not much people that looks like those Korean girls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2015, 07:23 PM
 
503 posts, read 946,664 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellWhatDoYouKnow View Post
Tunisians are an admixture of many races, including European; they were a Roman enclave, thus populated by those from the Italian peninsula many centuries before anybody ever thought about the US of A. The Berbers are accepted as Caucasian, though in fact no one knows their exact origins. Arabs invaded and have also contributed to the modern Tunisian race. Tunisians are beautiful people overall, athletic and intelligent, and if Americans were not so brainwashed by their corrupt government to vilify everyone who is Muslim, we could perhaps have a conversation on their merits and ethnography. Personally, I would retire there in a heartbeat. Lived there pre-'revolution' and am toying with the idea of a return. I've simply had enough of same-sex marriage, crime and drugs, the burgeoning police state, the breakdown of the family and no morals here in the US. Anybody care to join me?
Many thanks to the poster of these photos of blond and blue eyed Tunisians, which is most interesting!
As I wrote in the south of Tunisia many are descendants of black slaves. Nothing wrong with that, but that's the reason why Tunisians are darker than, for example, Italians, in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 07:27 PM
 
503 posts, read 946,664 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataphrakt View Post
So I still don't know what's the big deal about people being white or something, I don't know I see all kinds of people here in Tunisia
Sadly not much people that looks like those Korean girls
Well, sadly, in the Arab world, Latin America and other parts of the world with mixed populations, being white means to be superior, of the higher class.
I think the genetic history of Tunisia is quite interesting, with descendants from Romans, Scandinavian vikings, black slaves, Arabs, Berbers, etc. In Korea most people look the same, because since 1000's of years Koreans didn't mix with other peoples (except in the former Soviet-Union). in countries like Tunisia there's a lot of diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 PM
 
7,328 posts, read 4,016,725 times
Reputation: 9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Considering North Africa was once held by Rome and had influxes of people from other lands it's not surprising you have blond Tunisians.
It shouldn't come as a surprise that north Africans share a common morphological characteristics with persons from the middle east or southern Europe since geography - not "race" - is a reliable predictor of the human skin color.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 03:05 AM
 
503 posts, read 946,664 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
It shouldn't come as a surprise that north Africans share a common morphological characteristics with persons from the middle east or southern Europe since geography - not "race" - is a reliable predictor of the human skin color.
This map is nonsense, North Africans are generally darker than southern Euopeans, due to black African admixture. (altough in depends on the region)
85% of australians are of British or Irish origin and definately not dark skinned.
Balcanic people (except for Turks) and Ukrainians are usually much lighter than Italians or spanish people, most are of Slavic origin. And Russians in Vladivostok look exactly the same as Russians in Moscow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 07:15 AM
 
13 posts, read 15,535 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeo3 View Post
Well, sadly, in the Arab world, Latin America and other parts of the world with mixed populations, being white means to be superior, of the higher class.
I think the genetic history of Tunisia is quite interesting, with descendants from Romans, Scandinavian vikings, black slaves, Arabs, Berbers, etc. In Korea most people look the same, because since 1000's of years Koreans didn't mix with other peoples (except in the former Soviet-Union). in countries like Tunisia there's a lot of diversity.
I'm Tunisian too, and it depends on the person to consider what is "superior" as you say, from my environement, I didn't come across this "superior of white" thing, never did actually, most people that you think are white, just have different melanin levels in skin, most of us get a darker sun from exposing alot to the summer sun, I know some people who are really white, and they don't get darker skin from from the sun.
Most Tunisians get darker if they are exposed to alot of sun, and whiter if it's always cloudy or if they're not exposed too much to sunlight, also people have different melanine levels.
I have a Japanese friend here in Tunisia, and I was suprised when he said that we look similar to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 07:21 AM
 
13 posts, read 15,535 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeo3 View Post
This map is nonsense, North Africans are generally darker than southern Euopeans, due to black African admixture. (altough in depends on the region)
85% of australians are of British or Irish origin and definately not dark skinned.
Balcanic people (except for Turks) and Ukrainians are usually much lighter than Italians or spanish people, most are of Slavic origin. And Russians in Vladivostok look exactly the same as Russians in Moscow.
We don't have darker skin because we are mixed with blacks, we have darker skin because we're not white in the first place, geneticly we are mix of arab and berber, berber being the most (around 70%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 AM
 
13 posts, read 15,535 times
Reputation: 12
I think we all agree that Tunisia and North Africa were a genetic melting pot for different races, but we still look like each other somehow, we are diverse but also mixed with each other.

I this explains everything, I am really surprised that this thread took 9 pages :O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 11:16 AM
 
503 posts, read 946,664 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataphrakt View Post
I'm Tunisian too, and it depends on the person to consider what is "superior" as you say, from my environement, I didn't come across this "superior of white" thing, never did actually, most people that you think are white, just have different melanin levels in skin, most of us get a darker sun from exposing alot to the summer sun, I know some people who are really white, and they don't get darker skin from from the sun.
Most Tunisians get darker if they are exposed to alot of sun, and whiter if it's always cloudy or if they're not exposed too much to sunlight, also people have different melanine levels.
I have a Japanese friend here in Tunisia, and I was suprised when he said that we look similar to each other.
I've hired a car with friends and we went all over Tunisia. In the north, as one can expect, people were usually the most European looking, with quite some blue eyes, white skin and even the occasional blonde.
Some people looked like if they were tourists from France, but they were locals.
But in Douz I found most people to be dark skinned, even more black African than white, as you can also see a lot in Libya and southern Egypt, or among the Touareg people. I read that most people in these regions were descendents from black African slaves. In general, tough, Tunisians have the typical Maghreb Berber look. Mostly white, altough not completely European and with some black admixture.

Most people could see we were foreigners, which is not or rarily the case in for example Turkey. (generally Turks in Western Turkey look like Europeans).

I don't speak Arabic, but I've read translations of Egyptian literature, it is a fact that many look down on the blackskinned Sudanese and Nubians, eventough they are just as well Arabic as the Egyptians. And Lebanese consider themselves to be the elite among Arabs, because they are white.
You can see the same in Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 11:20 AM
 
503 posts, read 946,664 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataphrakt View Post
We don't have darker skin because we are mixed with blacks, we have darker skin because we're not white in the first place, geneticly we are mix of arab and berber, berber being the most (around 70%)

Genetic studies have found that Tunisians have about 15% black blood. This is normal, for centuries black slaves were imported, they didn't suddenly disappear, they mixed. Of course Arab and Berber influence is much more important. Genetic studies have also demonstrated that Spanish and Southern Italians also have some black admixture, dating back from the muslim conquest or even further from the Roman empire. =however this does net exceed 5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top