U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 08:49 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, I think it's in his face. Interesting, though, that when he was younger and his face was more filled out, you couldn't see the Khoisan in him at all. But he's from an area that borders on San territory and I've read he's 1/4 Khoisan.

ok, here's more info about his Khoisan heritage, and apparently a DNA study of him revealed that his maternal DNA (his mtDNA haplogroup) is Khoisan:

Nelson Mandela is of partial Capoid/Khoisan racial origin. His tribe, the Xhosa, speak a Bantu language with some Khoi-San loan words and are said to have absorbed a substantial amount of Capoids, altering their gene pool to in effect by a Negroid-Khoisan hybrid population.

Yeah he's part Khoisan, I could tell even if I didn't know. Even when he was younger it was apparent.

But yeah, the Bantu expansion is of course, not something that is often talked about. It would make a lot of black South Africans look less like the victims.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:50 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
I would think the ancestors of most modern day Europeans, Asians, Amerinidians would be from like Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi - the rift valley, and look more like them than those from Southwestern Africa?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 AM

285 posts, read 570,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I would think the ancestors of most modern day Europeans, Asians, Amerinidians would be from like Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi - the rift valley, and look more like them than those from Southwestern Africa?
It's thought that peoples very closely realted with the actual Sam, inhabitated most of South and east Africa, but 40.000 years ago. Since then they've been replaced by other human groups in most of Africa, but they (their descendants) succeded in the rest of the world.
Now thanks to the genetical studies improvements we know that without any doubt.

About ethiopians... I don't know about their ancestry, maybe they could be also related with those ancient peoples.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If the San could form a group that spans the nations where they live, i.e. an international representative organization, they could speak with one voice (assuming they could agree on the main issues), develop a relationship with the media in their countries in order to tell their story, and apply to the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) for consultative status. That would give them a voice at the UN. They could attend forums where Indigenous peoples participate, and present grievances before the Human Rights Council.
Sam people are few, most of them have no education, they're living in total social marginalization.
Their communities have been totally shattered. They don't have enough power to achieve that for themselves without external aid.
And Iḿ afraid that the UN, the USA, the EC, Russia... have the slightest interest in them. They have no power of any kind.

On the contrary they are an uncomfortable evidence for the actual probantu SA goverment, that takes away the legitimacy for the bantu claims. "SA for black people, white are invaders".
In fact they'd be more comfortable if they disappeared.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Some news about the new apartheid the san people is suffering
BATTLE IN BOTSWANA: Diamonds in the Bush - News & Views - EBONY

Old 03-26-2014, 01:59 AM

75 posts, read 84,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
That Mandela's mtDNA is Khoisan is consistant with the history of the Nguni invasions (bantu peoples ancestors of the xhosa) that invaded khoisan territory, and you know what happened when they conquered another people... men were killed and women were captured...
considering that Xhosa has about 15% of the vocabulary is of Khoekhoe (Khoisan) origin most of the interactions must have been peaceful. you can see it in there faces

and there language

Miriam Makeba - Oxgam - YouTube

also it was not only human migration. you got the Indo-European migration. the only pre indo european language left in Europe is Basque

and we also got the Austronesian expansion

Old 03-26-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Some news about the new apartheid the san people is suffering
BATTLE IN BOTSWANA: Diamonds in the Bush - News & Views - EBONY
this is happen in Ethiopia too

The Multinational Corporations Stealing Huge Tracts Of Ethiopian Farmland - YouTube

and Namibia
CENSORED NEWS: Namibia Indigenous protest dam, mining, human rights violations

and other countries around the world

Old 03-27-2014, 08:49 AM

Thanks for your posts TerryCarr.

I'm sorry, in those pics, I cannot find any distinguishable San trait in their faces.
Xhosa people have many words, sounds and expression from San people.
But sadly this doesn't mean that most of the interactions must have been peaceful.
In fact, Xhosa genetics show clearly bantu origin with an important contribution of San genes, but only from matrilinear lineage.
That's an important clue, that usually shows, violent conquest, where the males are killed and the women are kidnapped.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:59 PM

334 posts, read 358,738 times
KhoiSan are indigenous to South Africa. KhoiSan were NEVER considered black by Arabs and Europeans that invaded Africa. KhoiSans are considered as "Coloured" / other. Therefore they are NOT black.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your posts TerryCarr.

I'm sorry, in those pics, I cannot find any distinguishable San trait in their faces.
Xhosa people have many words, sounds and expression from San people.
But sadly this doesn't mean that most of the interactions must have been peaceful.

In fact, Xhosa genetics show clearly bantu origin with an important contribution of San genes, but only from matrilinear lineage.
That's an important clue, that usually shows, violent conquest, where the males are killed and the women are kidnapped.
if most of it was war i don't think they will be "clicking".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or