U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:32 PM

24,200 posts, read 17,594,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
And not one of them would voluntarily go to Africa. Matter of fact it's the opposites, Africans of all social class continue to migrate to America.

It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out why.

Not even rich African Americans have any interest in moving to Africa.
I do know African Americans who work and live in Africa. Some of it is for cultural reasons. Others are going their for their careers.

One woman I know is teaching in the Congo and has learned French and Lingala. She already has a masters degree. There's actually a lot she could do with career wise. She could eventually end up at the State Department, the United Nations, or she could get a corporate job in the Francophone world.

You do have African American diplomats working in Africa, African American consultants, or African American working on various humanitarian backgrounds.

"Mr. Thompson is one of the 20 or so African-Americans and other people from the diaspora of African descent who have found a home in this fishing community, attracted by the beaches and the peace and tranquility the town offers away from the hustle and bustle of Accra.

According to 2014 estimates, more than 3,000 African-Americans and people of Caribbean descent live in Ghana, a country of about 26 million people.

Whatever their motives, Ghana, the first sub-Saharan Africa country to shake off colonial rule 58 years ago, has become the destination of choice for diasporans looking for a spiritual home and an ancestral connection in Africa."

https://www.un.org/africarenewal/mag...esettle-africa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:51 PM

https://www.goabroad.com/articles/jo...ving-to-africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbSCLxyPQcs

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...n-south-africa

There are even African American businessmen who invest in Africa.

African Americans Are Finding Success in Africa's Tech Gold Rush, So Can You

Old 04-19-2018, 12:28 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Quote:
And not one of them would voluntarily go to Africa. Matter of fact it's the opposites, Africans of all social class continue to migrate to America.

If makes no difference if no African Americans of upper class are willing to move there.

You've actually proved my point. Upper class Africans rather send their kids to US and Europe schools than in their own home country. What does that tell you about the state of most African countries and the billionaires who are not willing to keep their own kids there?
I can assure you that the Africans who migrate to the USA don't do so for the "pleasure" of living in trailer parks or HUD funded housing. That is aside from refugees from failed states like Somalia and South Sudan. If a Nigerian engineer migrated to the USA and ended up in a trailer park who would die of shame if other Nigerians discovered that to be his fate.

So poor Americans are worse off than are wealthy or even upper middle class Africans.

I can tell that you live in some suburb well insulted from the rampant poverty that bedevils many US cities. Do Africans flock to places like Camden, where the poorest of Americans can be found? Every day in NYC one can find many living in abject poverty and the funny thing is that they are ALMOST NEVER IMMIGRANTS.

And in fact there are THOUSANDS of black Americans living in Africa. They have their reasons for going and yes I bet that virtually all of them are educated people who must clearly like living there as there is nothing that forces them to remain.

And yes those upper class Africans can clearly afford levels of US style education that the majority of Americans cannot because their kids don't get financial aid if they are admitted as foreign students.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I can assure you that the Africans who migrate to the USA don't do so for the "pleasure" of living in trailer parks or HUD funded housing. That is aside from refugees from failed states like Somalia and South Sudan. If a Nigerian engineer migrated to the USA and ended up in a trailer park who would die of shame if other Nigerians discovered that to be his fate.

So poor Americans are worse off than are wealthy or even upper middle class Africans.

I can tell that you live in some suburb well insulted from the rampant poverty that bedevils many US cities. Do Africans flock to places like Camden, where the poorest of Americans can be found? Every day in NYC one can find many living in abject poverty and the funny thing is that they are ALMOST NEVER IMMIGRANTS.

And in fact there are THOUSANDS of black Americans living in Africa. They have their reasons for going and yes I bet that virtually all of them are educated people who must clearly like living there as there is nothing that forces them to remain.

And yes those upper class Africans can clearly afford levels of US style education that the majority of Americans cannot because their kids don't get financial aid if they are admitted as foreign students.
One can find people literally dying of homelessness in the streets of NYC......

Old 04-19-2018, 01:15 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SippiStateBulldogs View Post
Can we please stop with African vs African American threads on here? Because they are pointless and redundant. The forum would better be served with information on Africa instead of those silly threads.
Exactly.

BUT....this thread that you created?

I agree with your premise, that we shouldn't have these types of threads that you created.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:18 AM

1,991 posts, read 865,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suliniber View Post
I totally agree with you, you solved my wonder why we do not understand one another. However, its a terrible feeling, like a blame of the Africans for the history of American Africans. Let me read some more of the posts to get more enlightened on this strange relationship. I just wonder, would Haitians feel the same hatred of Africans?
Iím Haitian American and Haitians donít have distase for other black groups unless bothered. Which is why in big cities like Miami, New York and Boston a while back there was stigma between Haitians and other groups but it has died down a lot now!

Old 04-19-2018, 11:22 AM

1,991 posts, read 865,708 times
Quote:

If makes no difference if no African Americans of upper class are willing to move there.

You've actually proved my point. Upper class Africans rather send their kids to US and Europe schools than in their own home country. What does that tell you about the state of most African countries and the billionaires who are not willing to keep their own kids there?
Iím pretty sure Media has something to do with it. Letís be honest here. African Americans and many people in American soil are brainwashed to death.

Also there are many African americans who have decided to move to Ghana.

Obviously it isnít a migration but you can check out videos of a number of African americsns who made that move to Ghana!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,615,036 times
Quote:
A poor black family in America is still better than an upper class family in Africa. America has the richest poor people on the planet with the highest standard of living and all kinds of free welfare.
What rubbish and nonsense.

Upper class families in many African nations may often employ hired household help, such as cooks, drivers, nannies. They can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa