U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 01:10 PM

433 posts, read 688,017 times

Advertisements

Look I am African-American mostly 1/2 Bakongo and other West African, 1/4 Socts-Irish, and 1/4 Choctaw/Cherokee. I minored in Africana studies for my B.A. and even was married to a Kenyan woman. We are divorced now (her family was racist and did not like me because I was African American. They thought I was thug even though I have a Master's degree and work a professional job. Also in Kenya they had servants that I called slaves and they kept trying to tell me no its different). I have since remarried to an America Black woman whose roots and heritage are in Mississippi like mine. That being said I would not advise any Black Americans to marry Africans. We have some vestiges of African culture but for the most part we are Americans.

All of that was background info for this. Look we all know most African Americans do not like Africans and most Africans do not like Black Americans. End of story. Can we please stop with African vs African American threads on here? Because they are pointless and redundant. The forum would better be served with information on Africa instead of those silly threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 01:25 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,589,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
Look I am African-American mostly 1/2 Bakongo and other West African, 1/4 Socts-Irish, and 1/4 Choctaw/Cherokee. I minored in Africana studies for my B.A. and even was married to a Kenyan woman. We are divorced now (her family was racist and did not like me because I was African American. They thought I was thug even though I have a Master's degree and work a professional job. Also in Kenya they had servants that I called slaves and they kept trying to tell me no its different). I have since remarried to an America Black woman whose roots and heritage are in Mississippi like mine. That being said I would not advise any Black Americans to marry Africans. We have some vestiges of African culture but for the most part we are Americans.

All of that was background info for this. Look we all know most African Americans do not like Africans and most Africans do not like Black Americans. End of story. Can we please stop with African vs African American threads on here? Because they are pointless and redundant. The forum would better be served with information on Africa instead of those silly threads.
I have watch streaming television from Ghana before and on one of their daytime talk shows they were discussing how Middle or Upper class blacks in Ghana often have black servants and often treat them very poorly.

In West Africa one can get labor from the poor class very cheap so the Middle Class often have maids, gate keepers, gardeners, etc. There is a lot of classicism there and they often really look down on the poor uneducated blacks that work as servants for them. Some times the man of the house will physically take advantage of the maids and the woman of the house will be really nasty towards her and the male workers.

This sometimes can be seen in some of the Nollywood movies flooding out of Nigeria now. I remember watching a movie about a servant girl whose wealthy employer physiologically and even physically abused her because she was jealous of her and wanted the maids boyfriend.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 15 days ago)

5,187 posts, read 8,027,180 times
I don't know how many people are aware, but in most countries middle class and up have maids and even nannies, gardeners, drivers, etc. Only in the minority of countries that are rich are these "luxuries" limited to mostly the very rich, in most countries even lower middle class families can hire outside help. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what goes on in Africa regarding this, because as I said, its a global phenomenon.

To be on topic, I'm also tired of the African vs African American threads. In fact, I'm tired of all the race threads. Maybe everyone should sign a moratorium on race threads at least for 2014. The moderators should seriously consider prohibiting such threads at least until 2015.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:39 AM

6,559 posts, read 9,071,345 times
Why are there so many threads about Africans vs Afircan Americans

There aren't that many current threads on that.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:43 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Because this is an American-centric forum with 'Africa' as an after-thought.

The majority of the posters here are American, with some Europeans, and a very small small sample of others. Most Americans know way more about the U.S., than they know about Africa.

Hence, this 'Africa' forum is mostly non-Africans. Even this thread is very American-centric with an American point-of-view on this topic. It has little to do with Africa either, it just clearly states there are major differences of opinions regarding Africans and Africans-Americans, while giving a very clear American perspective of it.

On the plus side, there are some little windows to get a view of Africa in it...even if a bit on the negative perspective of it.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:30 AM

433 posts, read 688,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Because this is an American-centric forum with 'Africa' as an after-thought.

The majority of the posters here are American, with some Europeans, and a very small small sample of others. Most Americans know way more about the U.S., than they know about Africa.

Hence, this 'Africa' forum is mostly non-Africans. Even this thread is very American-centric with an American point-of-view on this topic. It has little to do with Africa either, it just clearly states there are major differences of opinions regarding Africans and Africans-Americans, while giving a very clear American perspective of it.

On the plus side, there are some little windows to get a view of Africa in it...even if a bit on the negative perspective of it.

Thanks bro. I have always been posting in the U.S. forums for the past year. Finally scrolled down and saw the global and general forums this week. Thought this would be Africans sharing. Thanks for the insight.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:25 AM

16,435 posts, read 22,358,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
In fact, I'm tired of all the race threads. Maybe everyone should sign a moratorium on race threads at least for 2014. The moderators should seriously consider prohibiting such threads at least until 2015.
Add the "who carry's what gene" threads to that list and I'll be on board.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:37 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,761,877 times
I only recall a couple such threads. City Data is for the most part an American forum. Some have an interest in Africa but never been there, some have been there but don't live there, very few frequent this board live in Africa.

As far as the middle and upper classes having servants, it's that way in other places too. The Philippines is one example. Generally the help isn't treated so well, after all it's just another way for the I think I'm something types to feel better about themselves.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:53 AM

3,117 posts, read 6,835,380 times
Generally speaking, I love topics about race and ethnicity. Often the subject matter isn't talked about enough in a way where people feel comfortable doing so, so we have forums like this. Blacks whether African and or African American, and or Euro African, etc. are not one dimensional. To say that all Africans don't like African Americans and vice versa is just ridiculous. It is like saying All Whites don't like Black people and we know this is not true.

The help in Africa is no different than the help around the world. Not everyone is treated badly. But without those jobs a lot of families would suffer. The people gladly do their jobs and is better than getting into prostitution and or the drug trade which is the alternative to just living off of nothing. The Western view point on help and what is considered low wage paying jobs in other parts of the world should NEVER be compared to the American way and or standard of living. The comparison is literally apples to oranges.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:14 PM

3,522 posts, read 3,924,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post

I'm Kenyan American, somewhere between first and second generation, with significant Kenyan influence...I grew up speaking the language, eating the food, and forming lifetime relationships with people who will only ever be Kenyan...

My girlfriend is black American with ties to the deep south. Yes, there are definite cultural differences...but, in my experience, the two groups don't butt heads too often...and almost never is it because of where the people involved happen to be from. If there are issues, it's not to a bigger degree than the issues Africans have with other Africans..or AAs with other AAs..

Last edited by dub dub II; 11-24-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa