U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:09 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,447,708 times

Advertisements

I was in Egypt just this May. There's literally no reason why any of what's going on should affect you in the slightest. Egypt is crawling with with little entrepreneurs that want your tourist dollars more than they want you blown up or whatever. The comments above me are all typical of people who don't actually know anything of Egypt past what the news reports. Cairo is so big, you don't even need to be anywhere near that square (the name escapes me) if it scares you that much, but I was two blocks from it for ten days with no issues.

My only problem with it is that Giza is so incredibly littered with trash, it won't look as pristine as the pictures build it up to be. I couldn't understand why a place that famous could be so apathetic about throwing junk everywhere.

Buuuuuut, the night markets in Cairo are a great place to do extremely cheap clothing shopping while you're at it. Young Egyptian males are quite stylish, I learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
Probably not except perhaps the Sinai Peninsula area.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I was in Egypt just this May. There's literally no reason why any of what's going on should affect you in the slightest. Egypt is crawling with with little entrepreneurs that want your tourist dollars more than they want you blown up or whatever. The comments above me are all typical of people who don't actually know anything of Egypt past what the news reports. Cairo is so big, you don't even need to be anywhere near that square (the name escapes me) if it scares you that much, but I was two blocks from it for ten days with no issues.

My only problem with it is that Giza is so incredibly littered with trash, it won't look as pristine as the pictures build it up to be. I couldn't understand why a place that famous could be so apathetic about throwing junk everywhere.

Buuuuuut, the night markets in Cairo are a great place to do extremely cheap clothing shopping while you're at it. Young Egyptian males are quite stylish, I learned.
That's the stuff I was hoping (and thinking) I'd see!

Old 11-28-2013, 11:14 AM

580 posts, read 678,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
The comments above me are all typical of people who don't actually know anything of Egypt past what the news reports.
Well..... i've been to our Embassy in Cairo three times in the last 6 months and also to our Consulate in Alexandria.

Advice was asked for and that's what I gave, you are of course quite entitled to your opinion as to it's validity.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:29 PM

22,143 posts, read 23,668,851 times
I'd be into it if someone just booked me a ticket.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:17 PM

174 posts, read 142,667 times
An experienced traveler, especially one who has been to other developing nations, should be all right in Egypt. If you are a woman, however, I recommend not going alone. I also recommend avoiding Cairo, if possible. (Also avoid Sinai!) I understand that there are fewer troubles in Luxor. If you do go to Cairo, avoid protests (which are virtually illegal there now, anyway), election campaign rallies, and, if an election is going on, polling places. Stick to the tourist areas. Pick a good hotel. Avoid people who approach you on the street claiming to be "botanists" or "Egyptologists" or similar: they are just trying to get you into their perfume/papyrus shop!

Enjoy the sites/sights. Eat the food. Buy souvenirs, preferably local crafts if possible. (The tourist economy needs support!)

If you're going to Cairo and need suggestions for restaurants, shopping, cultural events, and so forth, check out Cairo360.

(I speak here as an American woman who has visited Egypt several times, often unaccompanied, and who lived alone and worked in Cairo for three months just before the revolution.)

Old 12-09-2013, 08:41 AM

816 posts, read 1,556,224 times
I'm still young so I can wait for Egypt's situation to improve.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:23 PM

245 posts, read 256,139 times
If you really want to go to Egypt go with a tourist group don't just go by yourself. There are areas that are known for rioting and I am sure any Egyptian tour guide will know these areas and avoid it.
Egyptian newspapers to keep up if your traveling:
Daily News Egypt - Egypt
Ahram Online - News, Business, Culture, Sports & Multimedia from Egypt

Old 12-14-2013, 12:27 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
I was just reading that even in the best of times...the Airport is quite an experience getting through it.

Sounds like touts, locals, and even airline employees are all trying to carry your bags every two seconds or lead you through immigration, this that and the other, and asking for tips.

Nontheless, I'm going to Cairo in January. Already booked the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa