Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:28 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,997,240 times

Advertisements

It seems the country is violatile, but many travelers still go. Experienced traveler here, and thinking of just a few days, while I'm already in the region.

I"d just go to Cairo, Giza and the Sphinx.

Somewhere on city-data, someone was mentioning some election that is taking place soon, and depending on that, it would determine if Cairo would be a bit uncertain or a bit less uncertain for travel. Wondering if anyone might know about an upcoming election and any issues, and what might be potential results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,572,115 times
why not,many countries are more dangerous than Egypt (Mexico,Guatemala and even some cities in the US)

Old 11-21-2013, 08:36 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,572,115 times
The question was already posted,here's the link.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/afric...ing-egypt.html

Old 11-21-2013, 10:03 PM

9,810 posts, read 14,658,235 times
One of my dream trips is Egypt, but I'm willing to wait a decade before setting foot there. King Tut et al can wait, because my plan is to go to Egypt and come home again alive and with no PTSD or anything like that. lol

Old 11-22-2013, 11:48 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,997,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
One of my dream trips is Egypt, but I'm willing to wait a decade before setting foot there. King Tut et al can wait, because my plan is to go to Egypt and come home again alive and with no PTSD or anything like that. lol
I think that people could say that about a lot of places.

Living over here in Asia (Japan, Korea, etc.), met tons of people scared to death of visiting the U.S., as they just perceive it to be way too violent, too many guns, etc. Most Americans would respond that the person visiting U.S. just needs to do a little more research, to make the trip a good one. Same I'd imagine with an Egyptian if asked about Egypt.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:18 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,580,398 times
If you're not looking for trouble, then you shouldn't find trouble.

I'd love to go to Egypt personally and would do so in 2014 if I had a chance. Can't be any more dangerous than many other places.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:53 AM

1,949 posts, read 6,438,750 times
I think the US is very dangerous especially for a tourist, if the crimminals know your not from around here they will take advantage of you even more

when I visit other areas in the US I always try to blend in with the locals, and dont advertise Im from somewhere else and keep a low profile so I dont draw attention to myself, I also study the area I plan on visiting and draw maps to my destination so I dont get lost or need to ask for help from a stranger

never wear clothing with the out of state or foreign logos that give away where your from

no license plate frame on vehicle with the name of your town / city

always carry cameras in a plain unmarked bag so they dont know your a tourist

the more you appear to be a visitor or out of towner the higher chances on getting robbed or victimized by the bad guys

the US is very dangerous if you dont watch your six

Last edited by mr bolo; 11-23-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 11:49 AM

471 posts, read 972,527 times
Though Egypt has a great and respected history and lots of places to visit, sadly I would never want to go there. It has turned into yet another place with shouting men mobbing the streets, some with guns in the air and little tolerance for anyone or anything that is different, of a different gender, or of a different religion.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:05 PM

586 posts, read 827,458 times
Phone/e.mail your Embassy or Consulate in Cairo and ask their advice. Helping you is what they're there for.

Also consider looking at the travel warnings and advisories issued by other countries. US, UK, Canada, Australia and NZ as you speak English would be a start along with those of any other nationality the language of which you speak.

If they are indeed holding re-elections around the time of your visit then getting further advice from these sources certainly wouldn't be a bad idea.

At work Cairo has a 'moderate' security warning with regards to travel and public gatherings so as it stands I wouldn't recommend a family member went any time soon let's put it that way.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:42 AM

10,613 posts, read 15,931,243 times
I rather wait another decade and hope things get a lil bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa