U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:33 PM

15,948 posts, read 36,185,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoul13 View Post
So many things to reply to!

I'm going to ignore most of what was said in the comment about Detroit, except to say that I've been to Detroit and now I'd like to go to Africa.

Istanbul is on the list of possible connections, as are some places in France and I think the Netherlands also. I'm sure it's a wonderful place, I guess the main problem with getting stuck there is my own fear. I've never traveled alone, and I know it might sound silly to be comfortable with staying for two months in Kenya but be uncomfortable staying a night in Istanbul, or wherever else I might end up. There's just things like language barriers, extra money, etc.

I'm from Cincinnati and I'm scheduled to stay in Kenya during my trip.

Thank you all for your comments, even the unhelpful and/or rude ones. I'm still deciding on my course of action, but right now I'm leaning towards buying a full priced seat. I'm rather not play the guessing game with the times and dates that I'm going to be arriving. Thanks again!
You shouldnt' worry at all about missing a connection in France, Netherlands or Istanbul. All of them have plenty of international hostels, where you can quickly and easily meet other young people, and enjoy good conversation and community, while waiting for your connection.

I think I'd be more worried about being stuck in a large African city capital on a random layover, and trying to negotiate finding lodging on the fly. With the European ones, they are always well connected with good transportation to and from. With any potential layover city, just make sure you have some basic info such as where the bulk of hostels are at in that city, and how to get to and from the airport to that bulk of hostels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 11:46 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,259,807 times
I'm curious, what is the volunteering program you're doing? I looked into them, but the prices they charge for the privilege of volunteering (i.e. free labour lol jk) seem outrageous! I mean you should get board and food, not as 'payment' per se, but I think they shouldn't charge you the same price as a holiday for it. That's my opinion anyway.

I'm sure you'll have an unforgettable and fulfilling experience helping - whatever it is you're doing, and Kenya would be amazing, I'd love to visit there one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or