Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes 30 62.50%
No 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times

Advertisements

I'd really like to, and if I can get the funds see no reason why I won't. Aside from Morocco, I guess, Im more thinking of Sub-Saharan Africa.

Which nations would you like to see?

I'd like to at least see Kenya and or Tanzania, maybe Rwanda (for the mountain gorillas and volcanoes, plus i sponsor a girl from there), Zambia for Victoria Falls, the Congo for the rainforest, Ghana, Botswana for nature/scenery, Namibia, South Africa and Madagascar for nature/it's uniqueness.

Only answer if you've never been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 12:34 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
#1 place I'd like to go is ETHIOPIA.

But, I'd also love to see Southern Africa - South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, etc. However, the high % of AIDS makes me nervous if any emergency hospital issues.

I'd also love to visit Kenya and Tanzania. Than there is Northern Africa - Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, etc.

The biggest issue with Africa is the cost of getting there, and for as cheap as you'd think it would be, it appears quite expensive to do anything there - i.e. crossing borders, going to a national park, etc. Then the lack of African airlines. It appears way more expensive than any trip in South Asia or Southeast Asia.

There is just so much there, but feels so problematic to go and see and do. That being said, it's a continent I really do intend to see and get to know a little bit, at some point.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:40 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

But, I'd also love to see Southern Africa - South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, etc. However, the high % of AIDS makes me nervous if any emergency hospital issues.

I'd also love to visit Kenya and Tanzania. Than there is Northern Africa - Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, etc.

The biggest issue with Africa is the cost of getting there, and for as cheap as you'd think it would be, it appears quite expensive to do anything there - i.e. crossing borders, going to a national park, etc. Then the lack of African airlines. It appears way more expensive than any trip in South Asia or Southeast Asia.

There is just so much there, but feels so problematic to go and see and do. That being said, it's a continent I really do intend to see and get to know a little bit, at some point.
I forgot about Ethiopia. Fascinating country, both culturally and naturally. There are a lot of Ethiopian restaurants here so at least my tastebuds have travelled there lol.

Good points. Most tourism to Africa, and it's still quite niche, are based around safaris and long trips, of varying adventurousness, to the big safari game parks like Kruger, Masai-Mara, Serengeti, Okavango, and sights like the Virunga Volcanoes NP, Kilimanjaro, Victoria Falls, Fish River Canyon in Namibia. Surprisingly, Tanzania seems to rank lower than many African nations in visitor numbers, but I suspect the vast majority of visitors to Nigeria or Ghana are those who have moved to the UK etc returning home to see family etc.

But you're right, it's remoteness, lack of infrastructure, and the nature of the tourism (more nature-based than urban) means a lot of costs. Accommodation at those safari lodges etc is also not cheap.

I wouldn't worry too much about the AIDs thing, although it's a legit concern. The chance of being infected...yeah I guess it's not something I know about. The risk of malaria, sleeping sickness and other diseases also scares many from Africa.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:40 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Hopefully.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

@ the bolded. IMO you cant even risk having rugged nails in Africa, if the next person has them as well, there might be an exhange of fluids next thing you know you have AIDS!

So nah, I'm good here! I will pass

And besides Africa is for the most part too poverty striken. How you gonna enjoy a vacation in a continent where people dont have basics like running water without feeling guilty?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,485,987 times
Yes of course, I have been in Africa but in the north: Tunisie. But I would like to visit South Africa as well, Egypt, Morrocco and also the "jungle" and safari places such as Kenia, also also Guinea, Rwanda etc.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:50 AM

4,657 posts, read 4,115,843 times
Would like to see:

1.The Sahelian cities (Tichitt, Walata, Oudane, Chinguetti, the ruins of Audoghost).
2. Lalibella and the churches in Ethiopia carved from stone
3. The Sudanese Pyramids.

There are lost of other things too: anything in Egypt, Sungbo's Eredo, the Libraries of Djenne or Goa, Kano City walls, whatever is left of the Benin city walls, Great Zimbabwe, etc. but the three above are my big three.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:15 AM

808 posts, read 1,877,494 times
Technically, I've already been to Africa since I just went to Morocco a couple months ago, but I'd love to visit sub saharan Africa sometime in the future too. It's cliche but I would want to go on a safari and see lions, rhinos and such before they've all been hunted to extinction, as well as natural wonders like Victoria Falls. Ideally I'd like for the infrastructure to be built up more, but who knows when that will ever happen.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,383 times
For sure I have it on the bucket list to go to KwaZulu Natal. Great history and people there. I want and need to get a first hand look rather than from books and pictures. Absolutely looking forward to it..one day soon.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
I see myself visiting Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Namibia, Botswana, South Africa and Mauritius after the age of 40, maybe even some other African countries... all depends on development/safety.

i'm 23 now and there are still a lot of other countries i want to visit first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa