Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:23 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...o-go.html?_r=1'

Cape Town # 1

Namibia comes # 6

Addis Abeba # 13

Dar Es Salaam # 39

What do you make out of this article ?

For me Africa remains a place to be discovered,one of the most beautiful places on earth.
If 4 places in 4 African countries were choosen to be the best places to visit in the world,means Africa has a bright future in termes of tourism,travel business,trade,transportation,lodging,natural parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
I would love to visit Cape Town, it is probably in the top 5 of places outside of United States that I would like to visit. It's very beautiful there and I hear the locals are very helpful and friendly. It's about time Africa is getting some positive recognition!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I would love to visit Cape Town, it is probably in the top 5 of places outside of United States that I would like to visit. It's very beautiful there and I hear the locals are very helpful and friendly. It's about time Africa is getting some positive recognition!
Yes,it's about time,changes are already happening,Africa is attracting millions of visitors each years

Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
I think they should have left off the USA cities and made a separate list for them. The bulk of the tourists to Cape Town come from Europe rather that the states but if the Dollar/Rand exchange rate stays strong maybe more Americans will venture over. People hear the bad news from the media but nothing of the positives. If the ANC does not get back into power, I'd expect to see more positive changes.

As an animal lover, I'd feel better about Namibia if they would stop shooting the stray dogs. It is an interesting country. Tanzania is a very beautiful country. Mozambique might have made the list if not for the rash of kidnappings and violence. Tourists won't be coming if they don't feel some sense of safety. Expect more recognition when the wars stop. The news snippets people see or hear about Africa are overwhelmingly negative. The corrupt leaders doing for themselves are much of what holds Africa back.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:27 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I think they should have left off the USA cities and made a separate list for them. The bulk of the tourists to Cape Town come from Europe rather that the states but if the Dollar/Rand exchange rate stays strong maybe more Americans will venture over.
Well, it's also more than 24 hours of travel from most of North America, compared to 11-12 from Europe, so that probably makes some difference. The nice thing is that the exchange rate cancels out the few hundred dollars extra you pay for the flight, so it's not really much crazier financially than going to Europe.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Yeah, the travel hours, but past that many just don't consider Africa when thinking of a get away. Out of Atlanta, they had a straight shot to JB, then on to CT. They did land at Cape Verde for a few minutes, but no big deal. It was about a 14 hour flight. So not a bad trip really, no changing planes and all that. The exchange rate is better for us than it's been in several years. When I was there the rate was 10 to 1, and I felt richer. LOL. Ya can do well on hotels there if ya shop around and look for last minute deals. That also can offset the airfare amount.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Well, it's also more than 24 hours of travel from most of North America, compared to 11-12 from Europe, so that probably makes some difference. The nice thing is that the exchange rate cancels out the few hundred dollars extra you pay for the flight, so it's not really much crazier financially than going to Europe.
I don't think the distance will hold back american tourists,they flocking in great numbers to Australia,New Zealand and other Pacific Island ( Tahiti).
Safety and the Dollar exchange rate are the main concern for US tourists and Africa is attracting more americans every year

Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
I'm visiting South Africa in April. I've wanted to visit Africa for decades but wars have stopped me several times. The looooong flights are a deterrent for many many. I will have a 16 hour flight to Dubai, a 4-day stopover, then a 10 hour flight to Cape Town. On the way back, 8 hours to Dubai, 3.5 hour layover, then 16.5 hours back to LAX. Ouch!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I'm visiting South Africa in April. I've wanted to visit Africa for decades but wars have stopped me several times. The looooong flights are a deterrent for many many. I will have a 16 hour flight to Dubai, a 4-day stopover, then a 10 hour flight to Cape Town. On the way back, 8 hours to Dubai, 3.5 hour layover, then 16.5 hours back to LAX. Ouch!
Don't know where you're coming from but if you're flying from the US,you have many choices from Atlanta (the best connections through Delta),NY or Houston for direct flight to Johannesburg or Cape Towne.

If you want to make stops along the way in Africa : Algiers,Casablanca,Dakar,Lagos,Cairo,Addis Abeba and Accra have direct or indirect flights to SA.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:05 PM

Here's a recent article on tourism in Cape Town. It's interesting to read some of the comments too. They make the point the tourists don't have to deal with the day in and day out problems and the frustrations with the corrupt government. Of course life is always easier for those that have more.

Good luck to you, Futuremauian

Tourists in SA smiling all the way | News24
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa