Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:08 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times

Advertisements

Africa is the most diverse INTRAPOPULATIONALLY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
I don't agree,every country around the world is made of tribe,small kingdoms,religious factions.
German,spanish,chinese,persians are all made of different tribes and entities.
I don't think it's proper to Africa.
Well yes, all nations eventually began as tribes or groups of tribes, but they seem to have longer histories and developed civilisations, whereas in Africa the civilisations did not correspond to the borders that colonialists drew, with a few exceptions like Egypt or Ethiopia.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:52 PM

284 posts, read 492,233 times
As someone who lived in Africa for twenty years I would say most Africans have traditionally had more limited concepts of national identity.
People who have historically been tribal and nomadic and whose lives have been centred round a village and who have only travelled as far as they could walk or ride a bicycle do not typically care much about politics on a national or international level.

More recently, with greater literacy, more travel by bus and car, and more exposure to these concepts through radio, television
and the internet, I think this is changing. As a previous poster mentioned, Kings were tribal rather than national, and only important in time of war. Everyday village life was run by a council of elders in consultation with a witch doctor.
(These are my opinions, not necessarily verifiable facts! Feel free to differ...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa