Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:30 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3me89 View Post
Hi TrueDat! Thank you very much for the answer! I would like to improve my English just for pleasure, I have 3 months off work (2 month with payroll) therefore... bye bye Italy.

the question is: how much money would I need to visit Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Dallas etc etc etc? I already pay $ 7400
You could spent about 80 dollars or less even and take a round trip train to LA. Trains takes around 2 1/2 to 3 hours as it stops a lot. San Francisco would require a plane flight as it's a 7 to 8 hour drive. Vegas you can drive there in about 4 hours I believe. Dallas is a flight but I couldn't tell you how long. No more than two hours I don't think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 01:15 AM

21 posts, read 46,879 times
OK thanks Gentoo!

Old 06-20-2014, 03:18 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
San Diego! close to Mexico, with the whole of California up close, -and the rest of the Staes further away, perfect climate, it's expensive for a reason. Cape Town...too isolated, and not very secure. In front, facing south , Antarcica....meh

Old 06-20-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3me89 View Post
OK thanks Gentoo!
No problem and if choosing CA and planning travel within, stay away from those distance calculators. Over long distances they're usually about 100 miles off. Makes a difference if you choose to drive.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:48 AM

277 posts, read 380,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
San Diego! close to Mexico, with the whole of California up close, -and the rest of the Staes further away, perfect climate, it's expensive for a reason. Cape Town...too isolated, and not very secure. In front, facing south , Antarcica....meh
<- For the bold part

And too isolated from what? :P And I'll just leave this link here

Cape Town rated top destination for 2014 - Times LIVE

Old 06-20-2014, 12:36 PM

21 posts, read 46,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No problem and if choosing CA and planning travel within, stay away from those distance calculators. Over long distances they're usually about 100 miles off. Makes a difference if you choose to drive.
I will remember; if I go to San Diego: D

Old 06-20-2014, 04:54 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
But Cape Town is isolated. You're not going to find a major city as different from Cape Town as Vegas or New Orleans is from San Diego within a couple of hours of flying time.
Oh I definitely don't agree with this! Johannesburg, Durban, and Cape Town are all completely different. Johannesburg especially feels like a totally different country. If I were to compare the big 4 South African cities to American cities, I'd say Cape Town is most like San Francisco or San Diego, Durban is most like New Orleans or Charleston, Joburg is most like Chicago or Denver, and Pretoria is most like Boston or Washington.

Everything in South Africa is within 2 hours flight time, and there are flights constantly which are always much cheaper than flying anywhere in the US (Johannesburg-Cape Town is one of the ten busiest air routes in the world so there are affordable shuttle flights all the time).

Old 06-20-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Oh I definitely don't agree with this! Johannesburg, Durban, and Cape Town are all completely different. Johannesburg especially feels like a totally different country. If I were to compare the big 4 South African cities to American cities, I'd say Cape Town is most like San Francisco or San Diego, Durban is most like New Orleans or Charleston, Joburg is most like Chicago or Denver, and Pretoria is most like Boston or Washington.

Everything in South Africa is within 2 hours flight time, and there are flights constantly which are always much cheaper than flying anywhere in the US (Johannesburg-Cape Town is one of the ten busiest air routes in the world so there are affordable shuttle flights all the time).
But San Francisco and San Diego are really nothing alike.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Why on earth would anyone choose a third world country over the US?? And everyone knows not only Cape Town, but pretty much ALL of South Africa is extremely dangerous.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:03 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
But San Francisco and San Diego are really nothing alike.
I didn't say they were. Cape Town has elements of both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa