Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 AM

277 posts, read 380,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
Did White South Africans really think black South Africans are going to forgive them easily for Apartheid? So naive.

They should've asked for the country to divide into two. One black majority and other White majority. Oh well, it's too late now.
This is more naive. As I told the other guy at the beginning of the thread, what you've just suggested is Apartheid, is it not?

And no, why should I expect to be forgiven for something I never did? It's just too generic of a statement and the whole "White guilt" card is overplayed. I don't expect black people (who actually suffered from Apartheid) to all be completely out of poverty and perfectly integrated into society BUT there's no reason for them not to have tried. I have plenty of friends whose parents suffered through Apartheid but they then worked hard, got an education and now THEY are in the same situation I am in. If they could do it, what is the rest who couldn't excuse?

As the saying goes, they need a hand up NOT a hand out. I'm for this idea. Give them the support they need in order to advance so that they can contribute to society and that their kids may possibly enjoy a life they couldn't. Giving them constant hand outs solves nothing.

So to summarise, I don't owe anyone an apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,737 times
Quote:
Did White South Africans really think black South Africans are going to forgive them easily for Apartheid? So naive.

They should've asked for the country to divide into two. One black majority and other White majority. Oh well, it's too late now.

I am a 26 year old white South African female. I did not ask for Apartheid and was 2 years old when it was abolished. Why should I not be forgiven for apartheid, why should I be blamed?

Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,737 times
Why is it that every public topic in South Africa comes back to racism or Apartheid?

This topic was about a woman being outraged because a child was dragged behind a car that was hi-jacked (race of child or hi-jackers not mentioned).

Old 08-14-2014, 10:31 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,806 times
Quote:

That is far too reasonable a solution to ever be permitted by the great and the good. Transnational corporations function well in dysfunctional kleptocracies. To allow for a new functional, homogenous state in the region would have defeated the entire purpose of ending apartheid.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:38 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alovera View Post
I am a 26 year old white South African female. I did not ask for Apartheid and was 2 years old when it was abolished. Why should I not be forgiven for apartheid, why should I be blamed?
Sorry, but this just ticks me off. Who is blaming you for Apartheid? No on. One can't help where one is born, or the color of one's skin, but one is in control of words and actions. Being a white African you will be linked to racism your entire life. My suggestion to you is to stop being so defensive and figure out an intelligent response to questions and assumptions that will be made.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:01 PM

268 posts, read 344,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
This is more naive. As I told the other guy at the beginning of the thread, what you've just suggested is Apartheid, is it not?

And no, why should I expect to be forgiven for something I never did? It's just too generic of a statement and the whole "White guilt" card is overplayed. I don't expect black people (who actually suffered from Apartheid) to all be completely out of poverty and perfectly integrated into society BUT there's no reason for them not to have tried. I have plenty of friends whose parents suffered through Apartheid but they then worked hard, got an education and now THEY are in the same situation I am in. If they could do it, what is the rest who couldn't excuse?

As the saying goes, they need a hand up NOT a hand out. I'm for this idea. Give them the support they need in order to advance so that they can contribute to society and that their kids may possibly enjoy a life they couldn't. Giving them constant hand outs solves nothing.

good greif what a ignorant post here!!!!!! who posted this mess???????

Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 PM

687 posts, read 915,092 times
Quote:
Hey over here in the USA if you're White you're still being blamed for the Holocaust too (though I imagine it's worse in Germany) and that blame is constantly being shoved down our throats all the time. The mantra is continuously being reinforced by mainstream media (nothing but propaganda these days). I'm sure being White and in S.A. your being blamed for apartheid is just more visible, more ever present.

Keep in mind oppression is ALWAYS orchestrated by the elite classes, no matter the country or era. It is then meted out / enforced by the enforcer class (police, military, etc.)

Common people want nothing to do with war and oppression of others, though are often caught up in the mess. What interest do ordinary people have with that business?

Old 08-14-2014, 06:29 PM

687 posts, read 915,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post

Beautifully said.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:05 AM

277 posts, read 380,655 times
Quote:
Why is it that every public topic in South Africa comes back to racism or Apartheid?

This topic was about a woman being outraged because a child was dragged behind a car that was hi-jacked (race of child or hi-jackers not mentioned).
At a stretch you could maybe say the thread was about the sad state that South Africa is in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
good greif what a ignorant post here!!!!!! who posted this mess???????
Care to elaborate?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,792 times
It's normal for tensions to remain for generations. Look at the Middle East. There are ethnic and religious tensions there that are centuries old. Look at some of the ethnic tensions that festered after the break up of Soviet Union. Much of that tension is still there. It naive to expect people to just forget the past and move on. That's not human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa