U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:49 PM

351 posts, read 550,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just curious, why would you recommend Luanda? For what purposes?

For whatever reason, I'm under the impression that Mozambique has way more pleasant cities, with a more Portuguese colonial touch to them. But, I've never had that impression with Angola.

I think of Luanda as just something that has risen out of the ashes, and probably has a very recent construction and lacking the historical context of Colonial architecture and such...but

Am I wrong in my impressions?
Both cities date to the 16th century but I have no idea how much of historic Luanda is left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 04:26 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,893,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've also heard that Maputo has less violent crime than Johannesburg.
That isn't hard to accomplish.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:21 AM

274 posts, read 292,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
That isn't hard to accomplish.
Voted least friendly city in the world >.< At least Cape Town came in the top 10

Old 08-20-2014, 03:13 AM

1,866 posts, read 3,423,541 times
I recently watched an older episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. He made a stop in Mozambique for a show. Seemed like the place has very nice people with a lot of natural beauty. One city in particular looked like it could have been a tourist destination, but i can't remember the name of it.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I recently watched an older episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. He made a stop in Mozambique for a show. Seemed like the place has very nice people with a lot of natural beauty. One city in particular looked like it could have been a tourist destination, but i can't remember the name of it.
Found 8 minutes of it on youtube...cool.

Anthony Bourdain Visita Maputo - YouTube

Old 08-28-2014, 01:59 AM

126 posts, read 218,496 times
Yes many times. It's a pretty city and very safe. Just brush up a bit on your portuguese. but if you don't, don't worry. a lot of people speak and understand english over there.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:16 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflguy2012 View Post
Yes many times. It's a pretty city and very safe. Just brush up a bit on your portuguese. but if you don't, don't worry. a lot of people speak and understand english over there.
Is it safe as well?

I assumed all the regular precautions.

One thing I've been reading about, is Police Corruption. I guess many foreigners will get stopped, and they will be required to show their Passport. However, carrying or handing over your passport is not recommended. Apparently, according the Lonely Planet guidebooks, it's recommended that you immediately make a copy of your visa (once stamped into your passport) and your ID page of your passport...and NOTARIZE them immediately. Then carry those around.

Just seeing if you've heard of that, heard of others doing that, or heard of police corruption.

From most other accounts, I've heard that as far as African Capitals go, Maputo is certainly better than most. Not sure how relative that is though...

Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 PM

48,042 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Found 8 minutes of it on youtube...cool.

Anthony Bourdain Visita Maputo - YouTube
I saw this episode. Beautiful and sad at the same time. The remnants of war are still around and there is alot of poverty. Mozambique has its tragic history. On the other hand, one doesn't feel a high sense of anger that one might feel in other places.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:08 AM

66 posts, read 53,429 times
Come, Mozambique is nice. Iam a Mozambican and living up north of the country. You can visite nice places in our country, like Bazaruto Island, Pemba Beach, Vilanculo Beachnd we have só many lodges in some islands in the north Province of cabo del gado (where Anadarko is operating). I can take you to many places if you want when you are around. Cheers!

Old 11-11-2014, 05:24 AM

45 posts, read 49,146 times
Ive been there plenty and did quite a few contracts in Mozambique. I prefer the north. Maputo has some great restaurants. The city is very run down like all towns in Mozambique and we had offices and would stay on the north in the Sommerschield area.

I guess for a visit it is nice but I had enough of working in African countries. It tires quickly: the dirt, things that don't work, the corruption, red tape, mismanagement incompetence, laziness and idleness, beggars, traffic etc. It just isn't worth the money and I don't need the money that bad to put up with it. Out in the bush is fine, but the cities are horrible. The more people around you the worse it gets because the people are the cause of most of the problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or