U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2014, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Reputation: 9483

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kradmelder View Post
Ive been there plenty and did quite a few contracts in Mozambique. I prefer the north. Maputo has some great restaurants. The city is very run down like all towns in Mozambique and we had offices and would stay on the north in the Sommerschield area.

I guess for a visit it is nice but I had enough of working in African countries. It tires quickly: the dirt, things that don't work, the corruption, red tape, mismanagement incompetence, laziness and idleness, beggars, traffic etc. It just isn't worth the money and I don't need the money that bad to put up with it. Out in the bush is fine, but the cities are horrible. The more people around you the worse it gets because the people are the cause of most of the problems.
Did you find Mozambique more tolerable than other African countries you worked at though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2014, 05:48 AM
 
Location: South Africa
45 posts, read 49,185 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Did you find Mozambique more tolerable than other African countries you worked at though?
Yes because I worked mostly in the bush and only had to pass through Maputo. Mozambique is nice north of Xai-Xai.

It is also very empty compared to other parts of Africa. Long distances with no villages. And the food is much better thanks to the Portuguese cuisine. Basically you are limited to peixe or frango because the meat is not edible. It is also far safer than other places. The Mozambique blacks are agricultural people, far different than the cattle culture pervasive in other countries.

At one job I did in Tanzania after a few weeks I went over to the workers tents (I always keep my camp apart) and asked where they are from. They all came from a few regions. I asked why they were none from other regions. they said there were but you fired them all baas. The ones that were fired were for theft, laziness, drunkenness, intimidation of other workers, trouble makers etc. It struck me that all the ones fired came from cattle culture areas, and the good solid dependable crew came from the banana growing region. To joke with them I once suggested we stop and pick bananas next to the road. They said no you can't baas you didn't plant them. Wow. you cant steal what isn't nailed down or guarded. Now that is different compared to large parts of Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kradmelder View Post
Yes because I worked mostly in the bush and only had to pass through Maputo. Mozambique is nice north of Xai-Xai.

It is also very empty compared to other parts of Africa. Long distances with no villages. And the food is much better thanks to the Portuguese cuisine. Basically you are limited to peixe or frango because the meat is not edible. It is also far safer than other places. The Mozambique blacks are agricultural people, far different than the cattle culture pervasive in other countries.

At one job I did in Tanzania after a few weeks I went over to the workers tents (I always keep my camp apart) and asked where they are from. They all came from a few regions. I asked why they were none from other regions. they said there were but you fired them all baas. The ones that were fired were for theft, laziness, drunkenness, intimidation of other workers, trouble makers etc. It struck me that all the ones fired came from cattle culture areas, and the good solid dependable crew came from the banana growing region. To joke with them I once suggested we stop and pick bananas next to the road. They said no you can't baas you didn't plant them. Wow. you cant steal what isn't nailed down or guarded. Now that is different compared to large parts of Africa.
This is an interesting assessment on cattle people vs agricultural people.

So there aren't cattle ranchers in Mozambique?

What are some other african countries with mostly agricultural people? Would Namibia count as one that wasn't cattle country?

Where are some of the more popular 'cattle country' countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Reputation: 9483
Okay, it looks like MAPUTO is going to be the city I tie in with my upcoming CAPE TOWN trip....

This thread is reassuring as it seems that most people really like this country a lot!

A bit curious how it is walking around this city, or do you really need to take taxis to get around...because of lack of density, proximity, etc.? How much can one explore on foot? Is it one of those places that its best to use taxis also because of potential safety issues etc. as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2016, 05:24 AM
 
5,823 posts, read 10,157,683 times
Reputation: 4536
I'd like to know that if as a tourist destination Mozambique is better as, say, Tanzania, Angola and Namibia? which is the best and the worst of the 4 listed ? (I guess Namibia would be the best and Angola the worst?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2016, 07:07 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,240,290 times
Reputation: 5878
Anthony Bordain thinks the best food in Africa is found in Mozambique.

The Best Food in Africa VIDEO : Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations : TravelChannel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2016, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Reputation: 9483
One thing I am finding out quickly....accommodations are expensive...and really low quality.

Quite common to have US$50-100...but by all reports, almost anywhere else, they would be a $20-25 hotel.

I think I've heard of that 'theme' in general with much of Africa. Addis Ababa was definitely that way. Looks like Maputo is no exception!

Quite a bit different than South Africa, which seems to have an incredibly varied price range of hotels and hostels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 12:30 PM
 
544 posts, read 986,530 times
Reputation: 651
Yep. Very expensive. I wasn't crazy for Maputo- it was just okay. I actually went to Mozambique in order to visit the lovely Tofo Beach where one can reliably see and swim near whale sharks (and I did see them! Amazing experience!). In Maputo I stayed in an overpriced hostel, but it was suitable for an overnight stay prior to a long chapa ride to Tofo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Yep. Very expensive. I wasn't crazy for Maputo- it was just okay. I actually went to Mozambique in order to visit the lovely Tofo Beach where one can reliably see and swim near whale sharks (and I did see them! Amazing experience!). In Maputo I stayed in an overpriced hostel, but it was suitable for an overnight stay prior to a long chapa ride to Tofo.
Fatimas or Base Backpackers?

I consistently only sees those two. One of those apparently kind of whisks people up to their other lodging up north in Tofo.

I was thinking of Tofo as well, but when I look at it, it looks like predominately tourists only....not so many locals at all. And I think it basically only has the beach going on.....which to me, seems like it could more or less be anywhere, and might not give me a good feel of Mozambique culture at all.

THe more I look into Maputo though, the less I see to do, especially compared to most places in South Africa. Nonetheless, still hoping to see what I can see.

How was that hostel? WHich one was it? Was it walkable enough to other places, particularly Baixa? Did it feel fine safety-wise, or was it in an area that you felt like you needed to flag down a taxi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 09:33 PM
 
544 posts, read 986,530 times
Reputation: 651
I stayed at Fatima's. It really wasn't that bad at all- just pricey. And yes, the whisking to Tofo was really all I wanted. If I recall correctly, Fatima's isn't super close to Baixa, but I suppose that depends on your tolerance for walking distances. I think it would probably depend more on the heat for that particular day as to whether or not you take a taxi anywhere- it can get stinking hot and humid!

As for safety- it seemed safe enough. I walked several blocks away to dinner well after dark one night by myself and had no issues (I'm a female and usually travel alone). But I'm aware that petty theft or mugging can happen anywhere, so I always just take a minimal amount of money with me to meet my immediate needs. I'm normally pretty good with intuition and awareness of my surroundings, too. The city had a very relaxed feel to it...and yet vibrant. I didn't get that creepy sense like I have in a few other places I've traveled (e.g. Caracas, Venezuela).

Anyhow, Tofo is definitely as you'd expect- very much a tourist town. But I believe it still has enough charms to merit a visit- and you'd definitely have plenty of interaction with locals if that's what you want, since they're not shy at all. Having said that, the interactions tend to be more transaction-based, since it's a tourist-town. A few of the restaurants have decent food- I forget which ones because it's been 2 years since I was there. Inhambane to me seemed more sort of nitty-gritty, but markedly less friendly as a result(city vs. small town). Nevertheless, I enjoyed strolling around...taking in the sights, sounds, and smells. Overall, it was a short visit but I left with a positive impression of the country. Someday I'll hopefully get to return and explore more (I'm American so a 2-week vacation is about all I get!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top