U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:49 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
I stayed at Fatima's. It really wasn't that bad at all- just pricey. And yes, the whisking to Tofo was really all I wanted. If I recall correctly, Fatima's isn't super close to Baixa, but I suppose that depends on your tolerance for walking distances. I think it would probably depend more on the heat for that particular day as to whether or not you take a taxi anywhere- it can get stinking hot and humid!

As for safety- it seemed safe enough. I walked several blocks away to dinner well after dark one night by myself and had no issues (I'm a female and usually travel alone). But I'm aware that petty theft or mugging can happen anywhere, so I always just take a minimal amount of money with me to meet my immediate needs. I'm normally pretty good with intuition and awareness of my surroundings, too. The city had a very relaxed feel to it...and yet vibrant. I didn't get that creepy sense like I have in a few other places I've traveled (e.g. Caracas, Venezuela).

Anyhow, Tofo is definitely as you'd expect- very much a tourist town. But I believe it still has enough charms to merit a visit- and you'd definitely have plenty of interaction with locals if that's what you want, since they're not shy at all. Having said that, the interactions tend to be more transaction-based, since it's a tourist-town. A few of the restaurants have decent food- I forget which ones because it's been 2 years since I was there. Inhambane to me seemed more sort of nitty-gritty, but markedly less friendly as a result(city vs. small town). Nevertheless, I enjoyed strolling around...taking in the sights, sounds, and smells. Overall, it was a short visit but I left with a positive impression of the country. Someday I'll hopefully get to return and explore more (I'm American so a 2-week vacation is about all I get!).
Muito Obrigado! Yeah, seems like 'pricey' is the theme of Maputo, unfortunately...and pricey without any particular reason, as the quality doesn't match. From all I've read and heard anyways. I'm sure I will shortly experience that as well.

I can definitely relate to the 'feel' of an unsafe city/neighborhood....and having been to Caracas, it DEFINITELY had way too much of that feeling...I would strongly agree with that.

Glad to hear you had such a positive impression of your time in Mozambique! I'm really looking forward to experiencing it myself, and I'll pop this thread back up, to share that as well.

Thanks for giving me your impressions as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:00 AM

Atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone)

MALARIA tablets. Necessary for Maputo?

It definitely is necessary for Mozambique, but if ONLY visiting Maputo, is it as necessary as well?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:24 AM

As an update, everywhere in South Africa ONLY sells MALARONE....for Malaria. Pretty much everyone here recommends it. I bought that.

I fly into Maputo on Saturday...

Old 02-08-2016, 09:54 AM

I'm in MAPUTO now...and since I am here now, I might as well give some impressions:

1) Sunday, the city SLEEPS. Everyone is either with family or at the beach. The beaches were crazy busy. The city streets themselves were insanely locked up, quiet, and sleeping. Walking the downtown streets was strange, as I was one of the few walking somewhere, although I'd see people occasionally in the streets as well, they weren't really going anywhere, as most shops were closed.

2) Monday, quite a contrast from Sunday, as suddenly the streets are super busy with people everywhere. Everything is open again. Like a different city again.

3) People are GREAT. It felt WAY safer than anywhere in South Africa. People are quite kind and friendly.

4) The economy seems to be good. While there were definitely people eaking out a living with whatever they have, I didn't see the grinding poverty you might see in other places (i.e. Manila, Jakarta, Cape Town, etc.) People seemed content enough. On that same note, no one begged money from me anywhere. Of course some people tried to sell tourist gadgets here and there, but I respect that, as they are trying to earn money that way.

5) I see Portuguese-speakers from Portugal and probably Brazil as well. I heard Portuguese were coming because of the economy, and it makes sense. The lifestyle seems pretty laid back. In some cafes, I saw Portuguese lounging around drinking and eating and such. It seemed like a kind of paradise for them. They also seemed to gel well with the locals.

Well, if someone asks, I'll give out more info. But being here now, those are things that popped in my head at the moment. It's a nice relaxed type of city.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 508 times
Hi Tiger, I'm looking for information on Maputo when I stumbled upon this forum, very nice community here. I can't seem to find much information about what its like to live in Maputo in 2016, I heard much has changed in the past few years. It would be great if you could provide some insight as to what it might be like to live there for a couple of years. Thank you in advance

Old 01-02-2017, 12:56 PM

126 posts, read 218,666 times
Glad you liked your time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or