U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:35 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,185,822 times

Advertisements

Anyone been to MAPUTO in Mozambique?

If I get a chance, I'd love to combine this city, and possibly a nearby beach with a trip to South Africa.

Anyone been to MAPUTO...how was it? Impressions, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 AM

276 posts, read 293,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Anyone been to MAPUTO in Mozambique?

If I get a chance, I'd love to combine this city, and possibly a nearby beach with a trip to South Africa.

Anyone been to MAPUTO...how was it? Impressions, etc.?
I know a lot of my friends always drive up to Mozambique to go diving. Not sure if they go to Maputo or not but they always say how beautiful it is there

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Old 08-17-2014, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
I know a lot of my friends always drive up to Mozambique to go diving. Not sure if they go to Maputo or not but they always say how beautiful it is there

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
Even that is interesting. What are their impressions of the people they encounter up the coast?

I think I also heard that Mozambique is very popular with South Africans. Is that also true? What makes it so attractive to them?

Old 08-17-2014, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Even that is interesting. What are their impressions of the people they encounter up the coast?

I think I also heard that Mozambique is very popular with South Africans. Is that also true? What makes it so attractive to them?
I'll have to ask them But all the Mozambiquens I know from varsity were awesome and extremely friendly Mostly people go there for diving because of how nice and clear the water is. It's also fairly short drive, Google says about 7h drive from Johannesburg.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:03 AM

48,257 posts, read 45,529,249 times
Quote:

I watched a video about that. Afrikaners are starting to move to Mozambique. Some feel that they have no future in South Africa and are moving to Mozambique.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:34 AM

48,257 posts, read 45,529,249 times
I've also heard that Maputo has less violent crime than Johannesburg.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:10 AM

284 posts, read 353,747 times
I have been there several times as I lived in Zimbabwe until the age of twenty- however that was many years ago when it was Lourenco Marques. (No cedilla for the "c" on my computer!)

At the time it seemed a big and very European city, with luxurious modern hotels, great food, especially seafood, and a very active night life. I remember staying at the Hotel Girasol, which means "sunflower", and which had a sunflower in mosaic tiles on the bottom of the swimming pool.
There were a lot of fancy cars, and business seemed to be booming, people generally dressed very casually and the Spanish Colonial style government buildings were impressive. I enjoyed the Mateus vinho verde, but was not particularly impressed with the local beer.

Anyway, this information is forty years out of date; Mozambique, like Angola, is making a comeback now after years of civil war and poor government. Maputo is probably much nicer to visit than Beira, but I would consider Luanda if you want to visit an African city with a Portuguese heritage.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,418,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I watched a video about that. Afrikaners are starting to move to Mozambique. Some feel that they have no future in South Africa and are moving to Mozambique.
Bringing apartheid to Mozambique?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerrunner View Post
Anyway, this information is forty years out of date; Mozambique, like Angola, is making a comeback now after years of civil war and poor government. Maputo is probably much nicer to visit than Beira, but I would consider Luanda if you want to visit an African city with a Portuguese heritage.
Just curious, why would you recommend Luanda? For what purposes?

For whatever reason, I'm under the impression that Mozambique has way more pleasant cities, with a more Portuguese colonial touch to them. But, I've never had that impression with Angola.

I think of Luanda as just something that has risen out of the ashes, and probably has a very recent construction and lacking the historical context of Colonial architecture and such...but

Am I wrong in my impressions?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Bringing apartheid to Mozambique?
Lol, no one is bringing/trying to bring back Apartheid Nor have I ever heard of anyone wanting to move to Mozambique for a "better future". People would rather head to America, Europe or Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or