U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 AM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,151,869 times
Reputation: 11715

Advertisements

People from all over the world play bridge at the site where I play and recently my partner listed her whereabouts as Burkino Faso. She left the table before I could ask, so after looking it up, it's in West Africa. Does anyone know the name it used to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
1,553 posts, read 919,467 times
Reputation: 3405
I hope this isn't too smarmy, but you can google search "burkina faso history" and get an answer more quickly than waiting for a reply here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 AM
 
9,213 posts, read 9,286,664 times
Reputation: 28891
The former name was Upper Volta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 AM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,151,869 times
Reputation: 11715
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
I hope this isn't too smarmy, but you can google search "burkina faso history" and get an answer more quickly than waiting for a reply here.
Since I'm in no hurry, a fast response wasn't needed. I realize most of the questions asked anywhere in C-D can be answered by going to Google. Most of the time it's what I do if I want to know something. I rarely depend on others for information when I get do it myself. I didn't understand your use of the word smarmy as it didn't fit my definition. From Wordweb: Unpleasantly and excessively suave or ingratiating in manner or speech. See?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 AM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,151,869 times
Reputation: 11715
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The former name was Upper Volta.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
1,553 posts, read 919,467 times
Reputation: 3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Since I'm in no hurry, a fast response wasn't needed. I realize most of the questions asked anywhere in C-D can be answered by going to Google. Most of the time it's what I do if I want to know something. I rarely depend on others for information when I get do it myself. I didn't understand your use of the word smarmy as it didn't fit my definition. From Wordweb: Unpleasantly and excessively suave or ingratiating in manner or speech. See?
Smarmy more like : "behaving in a way that seems polite, kind, or pleasing but is not genuine or believable".

Where I am helping by explaining how to look it up quickly, but could be seen as insincere as in "Why aren't you capable of looking it up yourself since you have internet access?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 09:50 AM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,151,869 times
Reputation: 11715
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Smarmy more like : "behaving in a way that seems polite, kind, or pleasing but is not genuine or believable".

Where I am helping by explaining how to look it up quickly, but could be seen as insincere as in "Why aren't you capable of looking it up yourself since you have internet access?"
Except your response did not seem polite, kind, helpful or pleasing. It was obvious what your words meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
1,553 posts, read 919,467 times
Reputation: 3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Except your response did not seem polite, kind, helpful or pleasing. It was obvious what your words meant.
Hence the reason for my preface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top