U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:17 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,631,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Like others, growing up I was told about the "poor suffering Africans" and was told we need to give them aid and help, but if Africa itself is so rich with resources why are they so poor?

I'll never forget in school my teacher made a statement that made me not care less about Africans. It was:

"Africa is a continent rich with all kinds of resources and wealth yet most Africans suffer tremendously".

When my teacher said that the wheels in my head began to spin. So Africa is a very rich continent....yet the people can't use them to their advantage? Europeans sure had little problem with it.

After I heard that I didn't feel bad for the Africans at all, if they can't use their continents resources to help their people/country why should I care? It has always seemed amazing to me how you can be literally sitting on a gold mine but not have the brains necessary to properly utilize it.

But seriously, why should we care if they have the means to help themselves with all of Africa's rich resources but don't? It's not the Wests fault African countries can't go a day without a coup d'etat of some kind.
Sorry, but what a stupid question! A good education on Africa's history might help you understand many things not only about Africa, but the world in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 02:14 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,097,640 times
dem Filthy Euracks stuck em guns to the face and told em to call maze, corn.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:20 PM

136 posts, read 84,092 times
Team A has 4 players. Team B has 4 players.

Team A gets: knowledge of how to refine oil + pretty efficient process for bringing oil to market
Team B gets: oil, but lots of it.
Team A approaches most selfish person on team B, and says, let's make a deal. You give me oil, I give you money. You should give one Team B player a small cut to keep the other two at bay.
(reality check: in any group of 1 million people, would none of them be selfish? Or in a group of their politicians, would none of the politicians be selfish?).
Oh, and for extra credit:
-Team A has experience doing these deals before, knows what issues will come up, and maybe writes a contract that leaves expenses/liabilities with Team B, who would need expertise to recognize this (and leverage to do anything about it).

...and so on. So, it's a bundle of things - I've probably covered a small amount of the big picture.

TL;DR: Experience, leverage, divide & conquer, etc. Team A gets the better of the deal unless you reverse a lot of assumptions.

There's no point being emotional about Team A's starting position. They simply have a better one, which means more leverage, which means they get the better end of the deal unless:
1. Team A feels charitable
2. Team A sends a cat to negotiate the deal
3. Team B somehow finds additional leverage, or
4. Some external force shifts the balance.

I think the original question is misstated. You're not really rich with resources if the real value comes from turning the resources into something else, and you can't profit from the intermediate steps. Besides, Africa is already rich in the same way most countries are: the few have the most, and the most have the least.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:24 AM

723 posts, read 652,860 times
Ask the empire and its allies why they got rid of the following leaders
Patrice Lumumba
http://www.theguardian.com/world/200...0/martinkettle

Kwame Nkruma
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePag....php?ID=224561

Gaddafi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbV3ErZDCno

Sankara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VftR9vOn8xE

and many other leaders.

Last edited by ThePage; 02-18-2015 at 10:39 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 PM

3,978 posts, read 3,372,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
If OP is American.. this my friends is a fantastic example of the type of critical thinking skills that our school systems are teaching. Students are being taught to look at issues on the surface level and draw definite conclusions from their observations.. Period. No further analysis, no search for other background or historical context, pure A + B= C causation without any consideration of third party variables or other factors that may have contributed to get the final answer. OP.. go to the googlenet and type in the following key words into that big search box underneath the colorful Google sign: COLONIALISM, CONFERENCE OF BERLIN.... AFRICA and you might find some answers to your questions
What about China and Japan. Do they owe Africa anything?

Old 02-18-2015, 02:41 PM

4,235 posts, read 7,273,316 times
Number one rule in diplomacy: He who has the most and biggest guns rules.
Although the Zulu nation gave a pretty good accounting of itself with just spears and shields and an abundance of courage.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:40 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,896,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Number one rule in diplomacy: He who has the most and biggest guns rules.
Although the Zulu nation gave a pretty good accounting of itself with just spears and shields and an abundance of courage.
The slave trade probably didn't help West African kingdoms fight off Europeans.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:57 AM

30 posts, read 35,445 times
Africa is an amazing place full of opportunities. There are rich people and poor people just like everywhere else. Theres drought stricken areas and abundantly blessed area. Don't generalize.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:19 AM

103 posts, read 77,741 times
Quote:
If OP is American.. this my friends is a fantastic example of the type of critical thinking skills that our school systems are teaching. Students are being taught to look at issues on the surface level and draw definite conclusions from their observations.. Period. No further analysis, no search for other background or historical context, pure A + B= C causation without any consideration of third party variables or other factors that may have contributed to get the final answer. OP.. go to the googlenet and type in the following key words into that big search box underneath the colorful Google sign: COLONIALISM, CONFERENCE OF BERLIN.... AFRICA and you might find some answers to your questions
Load of crap. The OP IS using "critical thinking skills", which are NOT being taught in our schools. What you are advocating is the mindless, brainless adherence to government-mandated indoctrination that ignores where the problem IS, and spends all of eternity looking at where it is not.

One one region is resource-rich and thriving, and another region is resource-rich and withering, or in stagnation, then the obvious answer is that the problem lies with the PEOPLE in the region, and how they go about doing things.

Stupid notions of blaming imagined wrongs from a government-rewritten history that continues to ignore certain politically inexpedient facts while overemphasizing the importance of others are not the "solution". The "solution" is not to become STUPID like the people with the problem, but instead to adopt attitudes, beliefs and means of doing things that work. Most stupid people's notion of "equality" means making everyone else just as stupid as they are. Never take life advice from a retard.

And the only "historical" context one needs to know is that some people always manage to succeed while other people fail. Paying attention to the opinions of the people that persist in failure is a guarantee that you will fail as well. Winners pay attention to winners. Winners emulate winners. Winners ignore losers, failures and the opinions of whiners that would rather use a false, fake, fabricated and politically rewritten history to justify and excuse their failures than to do what it takes to succeed.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,324,590 times
Quote:

After living in Germany for the last five years....I'd like to say that the OP could be European as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or