U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:59 PM

387 posts, read 271,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumranbi View Post
Africa is an amazing place full of opportunities. There are rich people and poor people just like everywhere else. Theres drought stricken areas and abundantly blessed area. Don't generalize.
Yep that is true...Africa is a huge diverse continent with 50+ independent nations all of which have a different history and are made up of different ethnic groups.....That being said the same kind of generalization should be avoided with Europe/Europeans...I always here from Black Americans that "All Europeans were involved in Slavery" when only a handful of WESTERN European countries were ever involved in the Atlantic Slave Trade (Britain, France, Portugal, Spain, and the Netherlands).....

Every single Eastern European country was NEVER involved in the Atlantic Slave trade and the majority of Southern European countries were never involved in the Slave Trade either....It was the Colonial powers of Western Europe that ran the trade...

As for the "Scramble for Africa" which occurred in the 1880's-1915 that involved (Britain, France, Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Germany and Italy) so include all the Slave Trading European countries and add in Belgium, Italy and Germany (they weren't involved in the Slave Trade, but were involved in colonizing Africa later on in the 1880's)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 09:36 AM

609 posts, read 466,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlasphemer View Post
Load of crap. The OP IS using "critical thinking skills", which are NOT being taught in our schools. What you are advocating is the mindless, brainless adherence to government-mandated indoctrination that ignores where the problem IS, and spends all of eternity looking at where it is not.

One one region is resource-rich and thriving, and another region is resource-rich and withering, or in stagnation, then the obvious answer is that the problem lies with the PEOPLE in the region, and how they go about doing things.

Stupid notions of blaming imagined wrongs from a government-rewritten history that continues to ignore certain politically inexpedient facts while overemphasizing the importance of others are not the "solution". The "solution" is not to become STUPID like the people with the problem, but instead to adopt attitudes, beliefs and means of doing things that work. Most stupid people's notion of "equality" means making everyone else just as stupid as they are. Never take life advice from a retard.

And the only "historical" context one needs to know is that some people always manage to succeed while other people fail. Paying attention to the opinions of the people that persist in failure is a guarantee that you will fail as well. Winners pay attention to winners. Winners emulate winners. Winners ignore losers, failures and the opinions of whiners that would rather use a false, fake, fabricated and politically rewritten history to justify and excuse their failures than to do what it takes to succeed.
Very true. The politically incorrect truth is that all cultures are not equal. Those nations that have advanced have done so by transforming their societies and diminishing, subverting or discarding their traditions. This is he ONLY reason the Europeans were able to advance as well as the Japanese and South Koreans. It wont happen any other way for the Africans. There does not exist some separate set of rules of physics and productivity for the African, that will allow him to become prosperous via some different route.

Aggressive deconstruction of ones traditions, embrace of reason and scientific objectivity ("enlightenment" values) and a willingness to become something different than what you currently are is the only way any society has or ever will advance. Those backward looking traditionalists in the middle east, Africa and India who imagine otherwise are wrong and will only continue to bring their civilizations stagnation.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:58 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,029,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Yep this is all true...Not to mention there are many more ethnic groups in Africa than in Europe so large scale unification is harder to achieve....Of course Europeans (who are also very diverse....just not as diverse as Asians/Africans) fought amongst themselves all the time (WW1, WW2, France vs Britain seemingly every 10 years etc) so even for them it was a big challenge, but the huge diversity of ethnic groups in Africa/Asia has always presented with more challenges in terms of unifying behind a single purpose...
Very true.

This diversity wasn't an issue 600+ years ago. However with the age of exploration and colonization, the balkanization of Africa made it much easier for large and cohesive European powers to systematically carve Africa up. Britain alone (16th - 19th centuries) would have had trouble conquering a unified area the size of modern day Nigeria or South Africa. But if there are several hundred ethnic groups with differing motivations and goals, the task becomes much easier.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:31 AM

495 posts, read 573,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Very true. The politically incorrect truth is that all cultures are not equal. Those nations that have advanced have done so by transforming their societies and diminishing, subverting or discarding their traditions. This is he ONLY reason the Europeans were able to advance as well as the Japanese and South Koreans. It wont happen any other way for the Africans. There does not exist some separate set of rules of physics and productivity for the African, that will allow him to become prosperous via some different route.

Aggressive deconstruction of ones traditions, embrace of reason and scientific objectivity ("enlightenment" values) and a willingness to become something different than what you currently are is the only way any society has or ever will advance. Those backward looking traditionalists in the middle east, Africa and India who imagine otherwise are wrong and will only continue to bring their civilizations stagnation.
Best answer so far. These backward countries around the world want the benefits of a modern progressive society( iphones, internet ect) but are unwilling to give up the things preventing them from progress( tribalism, ethic fighting, religious interference, holding back women, rejection of science and reason.) A prime example is the aids epidemic in Africa. Well wear a condom, oh wait the pope says no. Ok than enjoy your aids folks.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:39 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,226,576 times
Why can't africans use their tremendous resources to their profit?

it's called EUROPEANS (and its a cancer)

Old 03-25-2015, 12:50 PM

931 posts, read 614,394 times
I have never lived in any African country, but HOW BAD CAN IT BE? I mean they are slightly less advanced when it comes to Economics and Science but every single African person that I have met seemed happy to me. Their way of life is their way of life.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
I have never lived in any African country, but HOW BAD CAN IT BE? I mean they are slightly less advanced when it comes to Economics and Science but every single African person that I have met seemed happy to me. Their way of life is their way of life.
they are way happier, in less debt and much more positive than the average westerner I've met

Old 03-25-2015, 12:57 PM

931 posts, read 614,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
they are way happier, in less debt and much more positive than the average westerner I've met
Every single African I have met were very happy and proud of their country, Africa is a beautiful place with great wildlife. I think some people like to look down on some African countries just to make themselves feel better, at the end of the day human nature is pretty universal.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:07 PM

I agree little miss rock

Old 03-26-2015, 03:46 PM

275 posts, read 293,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
The bold part above is the problem. We've become so complacent that we don't realise how "bad it can be". It's always interesting when I read through the other countries sections here on the forums and my initial thought is normally that wow there's a lot of complaining over such small issues. Then it's almost a lil' sad (but still interesting) when I have to think that it's all relative and that's the problems their society faces.

An easy example was reading the 1 thread in the Australia section about them have to use private medical aid and it'd cost them something like $200 for the year or something. And I'm sitting thinking what the crap, my only option is private medical aid (government hospitals are ridiculously bad) and it's costing me over $200 a month.

So ya, from my point of view I find it interesting to think how we can all live such different lives and how our priorities are all probably very different at times. But 1 day soon I'm hoping to get a chance to move across somewhere and experience what a 1st world country is supposed to be like and then maybe I'd have a better understanding of how different (or similar) we are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or