U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:32 AM

931 posts, read 615,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
The bold part above is the problem. We've become so complacent that we don't realise how "bad it can be". It's always interesting when I read through the other countries sections here on the forums and my initial thought is normally that wow there's a lot of complaining over such small issues. Then it's almost a lil' sad (but still interesting) when I have to think that it's all relative and that's the problems their society faces.

An easy example was reading the 1 thread in the Australia section about them have to use private medical aid and it'd cost them something like $200 for the year or something. And I'm sitting thinking what the crap, my only option is private medical aid (government hospitals are ridiculously bad) and it's costing me over $200 a month.

So ya, from my point of view I find it interesting to think how we can all live such different lives and how our priorities are all probably very different at times. But 1 day soon I'm hoping to get a chance to move across somewhere and experience what a 1st world country is supposed to be like and then maybe I'd have a better understanding of how different (or similar) we are
South Africa is technically a developing country, there are probably 30 developed countries in the world, most countries are currently developing. I have lived in the USA and I live in China now and China is actually better in many aspects, to each of its own I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 11:33 AM

542 posts, read 491,221 times
When you have nothing to grab a hold of, your national pride seems to always come to the forefront.

Pride is a wonderfully blinding thing. Some of the dumbest (maybe not the right word here) close minded people I've met share an immense devotion to their nationality. The poorer you are, often times the prouder you become in my opinion.

Yes, I live in the U.S. and it is evident here but I think it can be applied across the board.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,896,781 times
Google Dar es Salaam, Windhoek, Luanda , Nairobi if you want to see resources put to good use.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:12 AM

277 posts, read 294,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
South Africa is technically a developing country, there are probably 30 developed countries in the world, most countries are currently developing. I have lived in the USA and I live in China now and China is actually better in many aspects, to each of its own I guess.
True. Even as far as developing countries we're probably further along than most. I just think there's only so much you can learn from the internet. If you really want a true perception of a country then you're going to have to live there. I say live because even as a tourist you only normally go to experience the best that country has to offer and not always a true reflection on the actual state of the country

Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,726,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post
Nigeria alone will be verging on China's population size by the end of this century -
1.5 billion people in Nigeria by 2100? No.

Exploding populations are either a curse or a blessing.

Let's see which it is for African countries like Nigeria, who still reel from violence and religious fracture. Their best luck is that they are largely English speaking, which has helped South Africa and Kenya be more developed than its neighbors.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:51 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,740,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Like others, growing up I was told about the "poor suffering Africans" and was told we need to give them aid and help, but if Africa itself is so rich with resources why are they so poor?

I'll never forget in school my teacher made a statement that made me not care less about Africans. It was:

"Africa is a continent rich with all kinds of resources and wealth yet most Africans suffer tremendously".

When my teacher said that the wheels in my head began to spin. So Africa is a very rich continent....yet the people can't use them to their advantage? Europeans sure had little problem with it.

After I heard that I didn't feel bad for the Africans at all, if they can't use their continents resources to help their people/country why should I care? It has always seemed amazing to me how you can be literally sitting on a gold mine but not have the brains necessary to properly utilize it.

But seriously, why should we care if they have the means to help themselves with all of Africa's rich resources but don't? It's not the Wests fault African countries can't go a day without a coup d'etat of some kind.
Its a different culture from western culture... they aren't as obsessed with money as many westerners are and don't consider themselves "poor and suffering" because they don't have a nice car and a huge house... they are fine with more simple lifestyles.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:41 PM

48,287 posts, read 45,576,705 times
This is what I'm seeing. Alot of African nations have resources, and are using them. However, one thing I'm seeing is not so much an inability to use resources. Rather, it's the lack of trickle down. Angola has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Oil has been a major revenue generator in that nation. However, Luanda, its capital, has become one of the most expensive cities in the world. It is a matter of few people being able to afford such things. Not much trickle down going on.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:29 PM

126 posts, read 79,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Plenty of factors.

Africans aren't particularly nationalistic. They are more concerned with family and ethnic group bonds. Europeans/North Americans feel more pride towards their nation than their particular ethnic group. This allows greater, large scale cohesion. Africa is extremely diverse, so the artificial boundaries on the map are quite misleading.

Many of the leaders...suck. They'll start out with great promise but inevitably fall victim to the intoxicating allure of power.

Even when African nations "do the right thing," Western clandestine operations (ahem, CIA) step in and eliminate leaders that could potentially mobilize millions of people in a positive way.
^
Man, this right here.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:06 PM

72 posts, read 55,604 times
Most of Africa is not rich in terms of food production. Most rich countries built their initial wealth by producing enormous amounts of grain like wheat and rice. Most of Africa is in the tropics, which has been notoriously difficult for producing grain surpluses. Tropical Africa is also limited in cattle production due to the tsetse fly.

Many African countries end up importing a lot of food which is very expensive. This is money that could've been used to build the infrastructure and start new businesses.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:56 AM

931 posts, read 615,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
Most of Africa is not rich in terms of food production. Most rich countries built their initial wealth by producing enormous amounts of grain like wheat and rice. Most of Africa is in the tropics, which has been notoriously difficult for producing grain surpluses. Tropical Africa is also limited in cattle production due to the tsetse fly.

Many African countries end up importing a lot of food which is very expensive. This is money that could've been used to build the infrastructure and start new businesses.

Really? I read somewhere that Zimbabwe was once a large agriculture exporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or