Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:24 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'd add that there were also French Huguenots (Protestants fleeing persecution from largely Catholic France) who settled in South Africa - you can see that in their names such as du Pre, Viljoen, du Tout, de Villiers, du Plessis. They've however integrated into the original Dutch Boer community and are considered to be Afrikaner.

An analogy to how Afrikaans developed as a language away from Dutch is seeing how Quebecois French developed and evolved from Metropolitan French - it developed in isolation from its origins and kept some original formats from hundreds of years, as well as adding some local influences into it.
I just realized --- du Plessis (South African) Duplessis - (Canadian) - similar, origin, very common surnames in the respective countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 07:33 PM

836 posts, read 1,254,262 times
Quote:
I'd add that there were also French Huguenots (Protestants fleeing persecution from largely Catholic France) who settled in South Africa - you can see that in their names such as du Pre, Viljoen, du Tout, de Villiers, du Plessis. They've however integrated into the original Dutch Boer community and are considered to be Afrikaner.

An analogy to how Afrikaans developed as a language away from Dutch is seeing how Quebecois French developed and evolved from Metropolitan French - it developed in isolation from its origins and kept some original formats from hundreds of years, as well as adding some local influences into it.
Except that Afrikaans has diverged much more from Dutch than Quebecois French has from regular, France-based French. Unlike Afrikaans, Quebecois French isn't considered a separate language from mainstream French, just a separate dialect.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:22 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
there's really only one Dutch speaking country (Holland), while several countries speak English with much more and better employment opportunities

Old 03-25-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
there's really only one Dutch speaking country (Holland), while several countries speak English with much more and better employment opportunities
You could say that there are one and a half Dutch-speaking countries if you include the Flemish part of Belgium. But yeah, the developed English-speaking countries offer way more job opportunities than the Netherlands and Belgium combined.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:27 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Except that Afrikaans has diverged much more from Dutch than Quebecois French has from regular, France-based French. Unlike Afrikaans, Quebecois French isn't considered a separate language from mainstream French, just a separate dialect.
Yes, that may be true in relative terms.

But I was told that Canadian films in Quebecois French, when shown in France, may have subtitles because of the differences in usage, vocabulary.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, that may be true in relative terms.

But I was told that Canadian films in Quebecois French, when shown in France, may have subtitles because of the differences in usage, vocabulary.
I have heard of such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa