U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 06:59 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,308,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
If you look at the top 10 for 5000 and 10,000, there's just as many Ethiopians as there are Kenyans. Most people think Kenyans are the better runners mostly because there are so many of them in a single race, but I think Ethiopia brings out the athletes of good quality.
I wouldn't have guessed it but you are actually right. In the 5000 meters run, 6 of the top 10 times are by Ethiopians. In the 10,000 meters, it's even more lopsided with 8 of the top 10 times from Ethiopians.
Men's 10000m

But notice that 7 of the 8 are from 2 guys, Bekele and Gebreselassie. You have to admit that the Kenyans have dominated in the marathon. Since Geb set the world record in (IRRC) 2008 with 2:03:59, the succeeding world records were all set by Kenyans---Patrick Macau, Wilson Kipsang, and Dennis Kimetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 12:01 PM

21,603 posts, read 19,382,716 times
I am watching the European track and field championship taking place in the Netherlands, and find it funny how countries like Switzerland, Germany, Norway, Turkey, Italy etc. have so many black athletes while the black population in those countries is small.
Do people from those countries still identify with those athletes?
Just wondering, it's as if Nigeria were represented mostly by white athletes at some African track and field championship

Old 07-09-2016, 06:02 PM

7,454 posts, read 5,954,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am watching the European track and field championship taking place in the Netherlands, and find it funny how countries like Switzerland, Germany, Norway, Turkey, Italy etc. have so many black athletes while the black population in those countries is small.
Do people from those countries still identify with those athletes?
Just wondering, it's as if Nigeria were represented mostly by white athletes at some African track and field championship

If race was the reason behind this Africa (and not just East Africa) would dominate all the sports that require athleticism.

In some of these nations this is the opportunity available to blacks, and so this is where much of the focus lies.

And yes there are certain sports that whites in South Africa dominate. Swimming being an example.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
If race was the reason behind this Africa (and not just East Africa) would dominate all the sports that require athleticism.

In some of these nations this is the opportunity available to blacks, and so this is where much of the focus lies.

And yes there are certain sports that whites in South Africa dominate. Swimming being an example.

Well, it is not only East Africans, but also Angolans etc.
I don't think those blacks go into track and field because that is a good opportunity. I think many of them get into those countries AFTER they have been discovered as talents. Probably because European countries are tired of the US with all its black athletes dominating track and field. The commentator literally spoke of "imports". We have had a similar situation with express-naturalized Brazilian soccer players in Portugal years ago. Many Portuguese thought it was a scam and that those imports did not represent Portugal. They were only imported in order to increase Portugal's chances in championships.

It's probably a bit like with Silicon Valley companies preferring East Asian employees, because they have a reputation for being highly intelligent.

South Africa is a very different case because it has a large white population to begin with, unlike most European countries, which don't have large black populations, with the exception of Britain for France maybe, but even there the black population is only about 3 percent. And I do think that the vast majority of Black South-Africans couldn't care less about swimming, it's a white sport for white people, so to speak.

Last edited by Neuling; 07-09-2016 at 06:30 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Probably because European countries are tired of the US with all its black athletes dominating track and field. .

Given that Europe has millions of blacks why does it need to get some from Africa if race alone was the reason for the dominance in track?

Yes you find one or two talents folks and train the heck out of them and then viola the length of breadth of Africa are champions?!

There are specific reasons for East Africa, and in fact it isn't Kenya, but a SPECIFIC group in Kenya.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:23 AM

Why Kenya? Seems that most of those black track and field athletes are actually from West Africa, just like almost all African-Americans, black Brits, and Jamaicans are.
People from East Africa are mostly good at marathons (probably because their blood carries more oxygen due to high elevation), but not at all the other disciplines.

I don't know why that transfer takes place, but it is striking how many black athletes there are now relative to the European population.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:57 AM

163 posts, read 112,301 times
Warning: I'm changing the topic in this reply. There's some overlap, but I'm acknowledging this fact up-front. I've done work in the African refugee community for most of the past 30 years. (There are other refugees, I understand!) At the 2016 Olympics, a group of refugees will be competing. I'm rather excited about this. As it turns out, the team announced June 3rd includes eight from African nations and two from Syria, with most of the Africans competing in track events (two from DRC in Judo).

In the Dadaab camps where I have worked, we have a number of people who run (what percentage out of 400,000, I wouldn't guess); my impression/understanding is that they hope that this may be a means by which to leave Dadaab. (There are threats to close Dadaab; it's now about 25 years old.) Again, my impression is that the appeal of running is two-fold: it can be done almost anywhere, and no equipment is needed. Many shoeless runners have difficult transition to shod running.

Again, sorry to go off-topic. My excitement gets the best of me.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Why Kenya? Seems that most of those black track and field athletes are actually from West Africa, ..

Actually at the world class level sprints are a competition between US blacks and Jamaicans. Brazil has the largest black population in the Americas yet they don't factor.

Americans and Jamaicans take sprints seriously. They identify those with potential and train the heck out of them.

I cannot recall any West African nation winning medals at the Olympics in sprints. NOT Nigeria.

So please cease insulting the athletes who take their talents seriously, or I will tell you that white swimmers aren't talented, or hard working. Just lucky beneficiaries of some genetic advantage of floating.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBob View Post
Warning:

Again, sorry to go off-topic. My excitement gets the best of me.

Well I wish them all the best.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Actually at the world class level sprints are a competition between US blacks and Jamaicans. Brazil has the largest black population in the Americas yet they don't factor.

Americans and Jamaicans take sprints seriously. They identify those with potential and train the heck out of them.

I cannot recall any West African nation winning medals at the Olympics in sprints. NOT Nigeria.

So please cease insulting the athletes who take their talents seriously, or I will tell you that white swimmers aren't talented, or hard working. Just lucky beneficiaries of some genetic advantage of floating.
Huh? Where did I say that they don't take their talent seriously?! Of course they practice hard. But I am not sure they practice harder than whites in the same sports.

Brazilians are mostly lured to soccer, the dominating sport there. A sport that is all but missing in the US, where they have three big sports instead, and blacks are overly represented in basketball and football as well if I am not mistaken. Not sure about baseball.

The reasons why blacks are over-represented here and there are manifold. The point is, they are. And I am simply wondering if that hurts black people's reputation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or