U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2016, 11:41 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 20 days ago)
 
48,284 posts, read 45,567,709 times
Reputation: 15366

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think almost every ethnic group suffers from stereotypes. But some stereotypes are worse than others. Regarding this topic, being athletic is not as "valuable" as being intelligent.
In today's knowledge-based economy, being smart is what counts. Being an athlete gets popularity and money. However, athletes have a relatively short shelf life. Programmers, scientists,etc, they can stay at it longer. When one is perceived as not very bright in this economy, the price being paid is higher. Being regarded as athletic is only good if sports is what you're after. If it's the corporate world, computer world, other other intellectual things, being perceived as intelligent is where it counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,747 posts, read 6,319,585 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Huh? Where did I say that they don't take their talent seriously?! Of course they practice hard. But I am not sure they practice harder than whites in the same sports.

Brazilians are mostly lured to soccer, the dominating sport there. A sport that is all but missing in the US, where they have three big sports instead, and blacks are overly represented in basketball and football as well if I am not mistaken. Not sure about baseball.

The reasons why blacks are over-represented here and there are manifold. The point is, they are. And I am simply wondering if that hurts black people's reputation...
How in the world would winning/excelling at what you do and being the envy of the world in doing so hurt their reputation? That has to be the most backwards logic I've come across in the forums so far. No offense, but I've only seen jealous haters ponder the types of things you're pondering now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 10:08 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Probably, but - at least in Europe - blacks are not famous for being doctors or scientists. Basically we only perceive them as asylum seekers or athletes. And their success in sports keeps that image alive.


I was going through the LinkedIn profiles of many of my Caribbean and African American colleagues who live in the USA. The vast majority are IT professionals, business owners (mainly professional services) and similar activities. A fair number in real estate. Many others in various consulting activities.


I have over 300 folks and one can add thousands of others if one looked at the LinkedIn profiles of those in my networks.


This in the USA that you al Europeans love to claim is so racist.


The fact that blacks in Europe can only run or sweep the streets says more about Europe than it does about blacks.


And when I say Europe I don't mean the UK as my profiles include some based there, and they are almost as successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 08:34 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,523 posts, read 19,348,618 times
Reputation: 8542
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
How in the world would winning/excelling at what you do and being the envy of the world in doing so hurt their reputation? That has to be the most backwards logic I've come across in the forums so far. No offense, but I've only seen jealous haters ponder the types of things you're pondering now.
You don't get the point. I am not envious of athletes at all, I would hate it if people expected me to be good at sports just because I am black. That is pseudo-positive racism.
I am German myself. Wherever I have gone so far, people have assumed I am into technology, engineering or something like that, simply because I am German. If I were exactly the same person, but were a Portuguese citizen and said so, people would not associate me with leading technology etc. They might even think I am less intelligent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I was going through the LinkedIn profiles of many of my Caribbean and African American colleagues who live in the USA. The vast majority are IT professionals, business owners (mainly professional services) and similar activities. A fair number in real estate. Many others in various consulting activities.


I have over 300 folks and one can add thousands of others if one looked at the LinkedIn profiles of those in my networks.


This in the USA that you al Europeans love to claim is so racist.


The fact that blacks in Europe can only run or sweep the streets says more about Europe than it does about blacks.


And when I say Europe I don't mean the UK as my profiles include some based there, and they are almost as successful.
What is the logic behind your argument? LinkedIn is a site for professionals. Of course the blacks you find there have the same kinds of jobs that whites or Asians on LinkedIn have.
It's as if I went to, say, a vegetarianism website. Of course all black people on that site would be vegetarians. But does that mean that black people are known for being vegetarians? Certainly not, to the contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 09:54 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
.


What is the logic behind your argument? LinkedIn is a site for professionals. Of course the blacks you find there have the same kinds of jobs that whites or Asians on LinkedIn have.
..


My point is that thousands of successful blacks can easily be found in the USA, Canada and the UK. So if that isn't true for the rest of Europe then its on Europe, not on blacks.

Any one in the USA who has a limited notion of what blacks are doesn't turn on the TV. The role of judge on TV is almost a black female role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 09:57 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,523 posts, read 19,348,618 times
Reputation: 8542
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
My point is that thousands of successful blacks can easily be found in the USA, Canada and the UK. So if that isn't true for the rest of Europe then its on Europe, not on blacks.

Any one in the USA who has a limited notion of what blacks are doesn't turn on the TV. The role of judge on TV is almost a black female role.
And I never said anything else. I never said there are no black intellectuals etc.
We are talking about image, perception, etc. here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,747 posts, read 6,319,585 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You don't get the point. I am not envious of athletes at all, I would hate it if people expected me to be good at sports just because I am black. That is pseudo-positive racism.
I am German myself. Wherever I have gone so far, people have assumed I am into technology, engineering or something like that, simply because I am German. If I were exactly the same person, but were a Portuguese citizen and said so, people would not associate me with leading technology etc. They might even think I am less intelligent.
So, they'd think you're less intelligent for excelling in a field (or assuming that you excel), whatever it is? I repeat that this is the most backwards logic that I've read in the forums to date.

And, fine, you don't have to be envious of the athletes . . . but you obviously think that their accomplishments may be lesser for the reasons you provided (you're the opposite of envious . . . you're looking down on success or coming awfully close to doing so, which is perhaps even more illogical and ridiculous). But, without question, they excel and are masters at what they do. Why in the world would rational people look down on them for excelling in their field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 02:22 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,523 posts, read 19,348,618 times
Reputation: 8542
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
So, they'd think you're less intelligent for excelling in a field (or assuming that you excel), whatever it is? I repeat that this is the most backwards logic that I've read in the forums to date.

And, fine, you don't have to be envious of the athletes . . . but you obviously think that their accomplishments may be lesser for the reasons you provided (you're the opposite of envious . . . you're looking down on success or coming awfully close to doing so, which is perhaps even more illogical and ridiculous). But, without question, they excel and are masters at what they do. Why in the world would rational people look down on them for excelling in their field?
Again, you don't get the point. You just don't like my message, so you are trying to shoot the messenger.

And yes, of course inventing something scientific is a greater accomplishment than running 100 meters as fast as possible. Intelligence is of utmost importance in the modern world and you don't really need to be intelligent to be fast or jump far. Sports is just a superficial luxury, entertainment of the masses. There is no real substance to it, albeit a lot of money. When you develop a new technology, it can change the world forever, but even if you run 100 meters in 3 seconds, you will be in the news for a few days, and then you will be forgotten and attention returns to what really matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,747 posts, read 6,319,585 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, you don't get the point. You just don't like my message, so you are trying to shoot the messenger.

And yes, of course inventing something scientific is a greater accomplishment than running 100 meters as fast as possible. Intelligence is of utmost importance in the modern world and you don't really need to be intelligent to be fast or jump far. Sports is just a superficial luxury, entertainment of the masses. There is no real substance to it, albeit a lot of money. When you develop a new technology, it can change the world forever, but even if you run 100 meters in 3 seconds, you will be in the news for a few days, and then you will be forgotten and attention returns to what really matters.
No, I get your point, and I don't like your message. But that's because it's rather illogical. And this isn't about comparing/deciding which accomplishments are greater, but about belittling/downplaying superior performance within a particular field, which is nonsensical. Again, and I fully understand where you are coming from, it's beyond bizarre to question one's talent when one is dominating in one's chosen field, regardless of whether you feel like one didn't have to work hard in order to come to dominate that field. Some people have seem to grasp certain concepts much more quickly than others, but it's bizzare and unreasonable to make light of this talent because of that...simply because others don't have the same abilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 06:11 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,523 posts, read 19,348,618 times
Reputation: 8542
Sorry, but it is not only my message. What I am saying is that it would be better for blacks to abandon sports and focus on science, engineering etc. instead.

Look at these numbers for instance:
Asian workers now dominate Silicon Valley tech jobs - San Jose Mercury News

Only 2.3% of Silicon Valley employees are AA, and the percentage is decreasing further. That's an image catastrophe in my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top