U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:48 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,934,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And I never said anything else. I never said there are no black intellectuals etc.
We are talking about image, perception, etc. here...

And I am telling you that the image of blacks in the USA has long ago moved from being only ball players. In fact any one who peddles that belief is revealing themselves as a racist who doesn't watch TV. There has for the last 20 years been a strong representation of a variety of media images of blacks.

Yes the image of poor blacks remains negative, but there is also the perception that a viable black middle class exists. Those who claim otherwise have a need to fool themselves about their superiority as whites.

Europe (outside of the UK and maybe the Netherlands) remains seriously troubled in how it treats its blacks, so it will not surprise me that the image is only of desperate poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
And yes, of course inventing something scientific is a greater accomplishment than running 100 meters as fast as possible. .

Irrelevant given that 99% of the white population invent NOTHING!

Old 07-17-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but it is not only my message. What I am saying is that it would be better for blacks to abandon sports and focus on science, engineering etc. instead.

Look at these numbers for instance:
Asian workers now dominate Silicon Valley tech jobs - San Jose Mercury News

Only 2.3% of Silicon Valley employees are AA, and the percentage is decreasing further. That's an image catastrophe in my view.

Asian workers don't get into management. That remains a white boy's club.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but it is not only my message. What I am saying is that it would be better for blacks to abandon sports and focus on science, engineering etc. instead.

A truly racist remark. Now how many blacks really aim at careers in sports? How many blacks do you even know, because this remark shows great ignorance.

Even in the ghetto most are sensible enough to know that its only a few who will make a living playing basketball, and in fact high obesity levels among poor US blacks shows that they aren't especially involved in athletic activities.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:24 PM

21,424 posts, read 19,323,714 times
I just don't share your view at all, it is unrealistic and overly optimistic in my view.

Asian workers? They do most of the thinking and developing in the Silicon Valley. And whether it is whites or Asians in management, it is not blacks, that is the problem.

And no, blacks are treated well in Europe, probably better than in the US because we never had a problem with black people here. No slavery, civil war etc. like in the US. That is also why Obama used to be so popular here, many Europeans thought black Americans are better people than white Americans.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
I
And no, blacks are treated well in Europe, probably better than in the US.

And here you are screaming that blacks are just refugees and athletes. Lecturing that blacks must do something other than run and jump. And said with such arrogance as if you have full knowledge of all of the aspirations and opportunities open to us.

"If you negroes would just stop running and jumping all will be well for you". Such archaic thinking clearly an indication of the fact that you meet very few successful blacks, and have limited interaction with blacks, PERIOD!

Maybe you think being kind to dogs and blacks constitutes good treatment. I however think that full equality and the freedom to demand this is better. Can the blacks in which ever European country demand this, or are they limited to being pets for "nice and kind" Europeans who feel sorry for them.

Here in the USA we have Oprah Winfrey, a woman born in poverty who is now the world's wealthiest self made woman. We have law firms, investment banks, real estate developers, media firms, commercial banks, engineering companies, owned by blacks. In fact I know several people who do this.

Shonda Rhimes, a TV writer and producer handles 3 highly successful drama TV shows, and these have blacks in roles as doctors, surgeon, lawyers, law professors, and other high powered roles. This beamed into US homes every Thursday night.

30% of young black women now have college degrees, this almost on par with white men. Yes we have a problem with black males, but then working class males are an increasing problem, every where, including Europe.

So only a racist American will think that blacks can only run and jump. Any person who peddles this has just revealed himself as a racist.

Apparently not in your country where the down trodden treatment of blacks is such that you can feel free to write such nonsense and think that you are making a great contribution.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:46 AM

Indeed, blacks are usually treated well in Europe, even if or maybe even because people associate them mostly with sports and music.
We don't have massive race riots, police shootings of blacks etc. like in the US.

And don't put words into my mouth, neither did I call black people negroes, nor did I say that everything will be well if they moved away from sports. What I am saying is that if they moved away from sports and became more associated with intellectual activities instead, it would benefit them.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:41 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,320,728 times
Quote:
And no, blacks are treated well in Europe, probably better than in the US because we never had a problem with black people here. No slavery, civil war etc. like in the US. .
Man, I'm not sure you want to make out like Europe in general and Germany, of all countries, has such a great history of race relations with Africans and people of African descent. Germany in the 20th century was variously denying black people citizenship, barring them from universities, sterilizing them, and executing them, depending on time period and situation.

Also, the history of slavery and discrimination in the US is shameful, but the triangular trade was introduced and conducted first by Europeans, then by Euro settlers in the Americas, so this really isn't an area you want to do too much backpatting regarding, either.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Man, I'm not sure you want to make out like Europe in general and Germany, of all countries, has such a great history of race relations with Africans and people of African descent. Germany in the 20th century was variously denying black people citizenship, barring them from universities, sterilizing them, and executing them, depending on time period and situation.

Also, the history of slavery and discrimination in the US is shameful, but the triangular trade was introduced and conducted first by Europeans, then by Euro settlers in the Americas, so this really isn't an area you want to do too much backpatting regarding, either.
California was the leader in sterilizing minorities and other unwanted people before WWII, Californian eugenics organizations heavily sponsored Hitler, who adopted many racist ideas from the US.

There is a reason why many black American artists moved to Europe in the 20th century, they enjoyed freedoms here that they didn't in the US.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:29 AM

48,220 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Quote:
California was the leader in sterilizing minorities and other unwanted people before WWII, Californian eugenics organizations heavily sponsored Hitler, who adopted many racist ideas from the US.

There is a reason why many black American artists moved to Europe in the 20th century, they enjoyed freedoms here that they didn't in the US.

They moved mainly to France and the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or