U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2016, 08:04 AM
 
597 posts, read 400,462 times
Reputation: 833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Namibia isn't a West African nation either. At least the West Africa that we generally refer to.
My mistake. I saw that it was on the western side of the continent (though far south) so I thought it might count. But, I researched further and learned the parameters of the region known as West Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2016, 10:40 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sorry, little time now.




And yes, in my view some blacks have become paranoid about racism.
Yes, your opinion as a white man who doesn't have to walk in the same shoes as a black man.


Suppose I told you that most blacks assume that all whites are racist. Now can I tell you about how a non racist white person might feel in having to deal with this distrust? No. I am not white.. So cease assuming that blacks are wrong about what they say that they encounter. You don't live in their world so you don't know!


Just because they aren't being attacked in the streets doesn't mean that they aren't issues that they must confront.


I get back to what started this debate. Your assertion that blacks in Europe (you mean CONTINENTAL Europe) are seen as refugees, because very few of them become athletes.


So the image of blacks in your head are down and out desperate people doing dead end menial jobs, and living off charity.


Now imagine for a minute the barriers a black person, who doesn't aspire to be a street sweeper, but who wants to be upwardly mobile. Now if in your head you see that person as a refugee, how will you see that person as some one who has the potential to handle a complex job? You don't have to be a Nazi to be creating a problem for that person!


THOSE are the barriers that European blacks have, outside of the UK. So clearly there is a black problem, and clearly blacks who complain about this are NOT being paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sorry, little time now.

, if they do it right, which I repeat - even if you don't like to hear it - includes dressing like locals and not in some exotic African costumes..


In London you have two kinds of blacks. Nigerians/Ghanaians, and British blacks whose grandparents came from the Caribbean 50+ years ago.


Which group do you think is worse off? NO its not the ones wearing the "exotic" African attire. Its the ones with the working class BRITISH accents. Yes you saw them in the two videos.


Here is why immigrants of all language groups flock to NYC, Toronto, and London. Because they are free to be who they are, and yet can still succeed, once they learn the language, and acquire the hard and soft skills to get decent jobs. If when they aren't at work the women wear exotic headwraps WHO CARES.


And I find it interesting that a German complains about immigrants being unwilling to COMPLETELY eradicate their cultural identity. There are Germans in Jamaica, who have been living there for more than 100 years, still trying to remain as German as ever. Parts of southern Brazil can pass for Germany. Again these have been living there for over 100 years.


The point is that people are who they are, and provided they acquire that which they need to obtain employment and achieve upward mobility why should they eradicate their cultures?

London, NYC, and Toronto are interesting because THEY ARE CULTURALLY DIVERSE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 10:57 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,383 posts, read 19,308,072 times
Reputation: 8493
Well, it's my opinion. Just because I am white doesn't mean my opinion on black life must be wrong unless it is identical to blacks' opinion. Plus, there are also some black people who share some of my views, like that some blacks are a bit paranoid and like to blame others for their situation.

No, I did not limit it to (continental) Europe at all, my observation was global.

Don't put words into my mouth, like "down and out desperate people doing dead end menial jobs, and living off charity". I did not say anything like that, I know there are black scientists and doctors etc. as well. I was talking about the IMAGE disproportionate black success in many sports might create or keep alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 02:45 PM
 
Location: interior Alaska
4,480 posts, read 3,316,928 times
Reputation: 13767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, it's my opinion. Just because I am white doesn't mean my opinion on black life must be wrong
That's true. You're not wrong because you're white. You're wrong because you're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 11:38 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Don't put words into my mouth, like "down and out desperate people doing dead end menial jobs, and living off charity". I did not say anything like that, I know there are black scientists and doctors etc. as well. I was talking about the IMAGE disproportionate black success in many sports might create or keep alive.


Refugees are down and out, desperate, impoverished and ill prepared to succeed without massive assistance. If that is your image of blacks, then clearly you will be skeptical about their ability to perform complex occupations. No wonder you cannot see blacks performing roles that require education or advanced skills so feel compelled to tell us that we should run less.


You stated that your image of blacks in Europe is of refugees, and I am reminding you of this fact!


Note to you. Obesity is a big problem among blacks in the UK and the USA. Clearly these aren't people who are deeply engaged in athletic pursuits, so why this advice? In fact better advice will be to get blacks to exercise more, and in fact that is what Michelle Obama is trying to get them to do. Obviously few blacks use any involvement in sport to achieve a living.


Oh yes. The evil USA with its black President, and we will NOT see any non white head of state in ANY European country any time soon.




MY father told me that we have two ears and two eyes and one mouth for a reason. Before we talk we must listen and observe. You mouth off and show how little you know! Does your knowledge come from that arrogance that being a white man brings you, with the notion that you actually know more about more about black lives than blacks themselves! Where do you gather this evidence, given that you don't walk in our shoes, so are ill qualified to tell us whether they are too small or too tight or have huge holes?


I suggest that you get to know Michael Steele, a black American who is a Republican, so clearly no bleeding heart liberal, yet he will point out issues of racism which permeate even his own political party. Ditto Colin Powell. Even a black Republican senator felt compelled to talk on this topic. All very successful people not interested in discussing anything other than the facts!

And EVERY thing that blacks in the USA in 2016 go through applies to Europe, ESPECIALLY countries like Germany, which have no respect for cultural diversity! Look at how you want to harass Nigerian migrants to the UK just because they are as proud of who they are as the Germans who migrated to Brazil 150 years ago, and yet still proudly maintaining their German identity!

Last edited by caribny; 07-20-2016 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 10:09 AM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,234,023 times
Reputation: 5878
"and we will NOT see any non white head of state in ANY European country any time soon."






The current Prime Minister of the Portugal is of partial Goan ancestry, to be precise his paternal grandfather was Goan.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3%B3nio_Costa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2016, 06:33 PM
 
8 posts, read 14,897 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
"and we will NOT see any non white head of state in ANY European country any time soon."






The current Prime Minister of the Portugal is of partial Goan ancestry, to be precise his paternal grandfather was Goan.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3%B3nio_Costa
LOL as a West African ( Nigerian no surprise) I think you came for Neuling too hard. MANY Africans in Germany are Horn of African refugees who don't speak English and have little professional skills. These people also don't seem to have a stronger culture for learning or education ( understandeable since many are asylum seekers) and East Africans have always had that athlete perception so no surprise with the amount of awards they win. It is alao no surprise that many are cleansweepers there. He is wrong, like you said with the good athletes perceptiom regarding sports since many African cultures put no emphasis on being fit ( which is bad). In Nigeria, a survey was asked on a program and all girls asked said six cars were sexier than six packs, same thing was said on a Nigerian forum. I always lol when people claim Africans and their desxendents are genetically superior ( lol many AA are obese and too many African countries are becoming fat since we don't do exercise and see education as more important ). Muslims do have a harder time in in Europe ( including UK and Germany) because they are percieved as a group who refuses to assimilate and likes leaching off benefits ( check out the percentage of Somalis that work in Sweden and Germany). Turks def have a harder time in Germany along with Somalis. I found what he said about West African attire kind of offensive. Nigerians are one of the most Westernized Africans. We barely wear our native attire in our home country talk less UK. If you saw someone in that attire they might not be Nigerian or are wearing it for a function. Besides, how is native offensive when its still skirt and blouse, and Native is beautiful! I don't think you know Africans or at least West Africans. DISCRIMINATION doesn't stop or deter a West African from migrating, we are too arrogrant and motivated for that. You see us in China despite the bad reputation and racist views that Chinese have towards Nigerians( which is unbelievable since they come to Nigeria and act like snobs, but that's another topic).
In regards to Germany, West Africans don't perceive Germany as racist or restrictive in social mobility. To Africans, US is way more racist than Europe ( though untrue but the perception). Alot of Nigerians would like to immigrate to Germany, but UK is easier since we know the language and most of us are there. There are a few Nigerians and Ghanaians in Germany also. Neuling is apt to think that that's the perception of Africans since that's the majority type of Africans ( excluding UK) that Europe relieves, refugees and asylum seekers. You sounded really defensive but let me tell you the world perception of AA is highly to do with entertainment and sports. Even in Nigeria most know AA by people like Drake and Micheal J ( who was huge here). The ghetto black stereotype is pervasive and that's how Africans see AA ( Nollywood movies help that stereotype) just as the majority of the world sees Africans as impoverished, subhuman filth. I don't think Neuling was trying to claim no black intellectuals exist, but that there should be more work to change the perception. Black media should be praising intelligent black billionaires and scientist. Black media should focus more on education and the rising black middle class. Sorry if this is badly written I wrote it on a crappy android.

Last edited by harrypo; 08-06-2016 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top