Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:35 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Top 5 countries you'd most like to visit in Africa...and why?

Not in any particular order...

Mozambique - Portuguese-speakers with a very long coastline!

Madagascar - A completely different ecology, and mix of people (Indonesian & African mix)

Cape Verde - A bit of Brazil on the African continent.

Namibia - Deserts and lowly populated....something about it seems very enticing.

Kenya/Tanzania - Just the region of the two combined, with the national parks, Mt Kilimanjaro, the coastline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 02:21 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Not in order...

Morocco
Egypt
South Africa
Mauritius
Seychelles

Old 11-14-2014, 04:38 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Current Desires (in no particular order of importance)
South Africa (just the Cape)
Namibia (just its capital Windoek)
Angola (I have always been fascinated by this country, don't know why; but the recent economic boom has further increased its appeal)
Equatorial Guinea (another country that caught my interest from the moment I became aware that it exists)
Egypt (just Cairo and mostly due to the surviving legacy of Ancient Egypt)

Countries that have fallen out of grace with me (LOL)
Guinea (I always wanted to visit this country, but the Ebola outbreak ruined it)
Kenya (I don't know why, but when I was younger it fascinated me and I thought Nairobi was a cool city based on photos; but now I don't care much to visit this place)
Zimbabwe (Mugabe's fault)

The rest of Africa simply doesn't catches my interest. Of the Spanish possessions in Africa, the only one that is special to me is the Canary Islands but Melilla and Ceuta and whatever other Spanish territories are irrelevant as far as I'm concern.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:14 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Not in order...

Morocco
Egypt
South Africa
Mauritius
Seychelles
You read my mind.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:08 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Countries that have fallen out of grace with me (LOL)
Guinea (I always wanted to visit this country, but the Ebola outbreak ruined it)
Kenya (I don't know why, but when I was younger it fascinated me and I thought Nairobi was a cool city based on photos; but now I don't care much to visit this place)
Zimbabwe (Mugabe's fault)
That's interesting, as Kenya and Zimbabwe were my two big ones to get to, back when I was much younger. I highly doubt I'd visit Zimbabwe now, although possibly Victoria Falls, and just only that spot for a half day, while being based on the Zambia side.

Kenya, I'd still like to get there, but it seems the cities of Nairobi and Mombosa come with a lot of 'be careful' attached. It seemed like 30 years ago or so, Nairobi sounded like this modern city of the continent with nice people. Now it's this dangerous city, with a lot of gangs and you should your wits about you.

I'd still like to visit Kenya though. It's just not up at #1 like it would have been when I was a kid dreaming.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times
Algeria with its world's largest open air museum: The Tassili.
Benin ( former Dahomey Empire) & Vodoo birthplace
Burkina Faso,the size of Maryland with more than 300 dialects.
Mali with the one of oldest university in the world: Timbuktu.
Tunisia with the antic Carthage,Hannibal capital city.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:30 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,954,434 times
Not in order:

Namibia
Tanzania
Ethiopia
South Africa
Morocco

Old 11-16-2014, 02:51 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Egypt = To fulfill a childhood dream. I was obsessed with pharaohs, hieroglyphics, pyramids, etc. as a kindergartner and I'd love to relive that experience.
Western Sahara - En route to Mauritania
Mauritania - En route to Senegal.
Namibia - Where the dunes meet the ocean.

Honorable mentions: Gabon (closest to Brazil, maybe I could make VHF+ radio contact with them), Senegal, Chad, South Africa

Old 11-16-2014, 08:40 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
South Africa for its unique landscapes and coastline
Morocco to see the physical transition between Iberian Europe and Northern Africa. Also the Atlas mountains.
Kenya for the stereotypical subsaharan African experience.
Ethiopia for more or less the same reason as Kenya
The Gambia for a tropical coastal experience. It's also so small that it you could get to know the country very well in a single visit.

My understanding of Africa is very basic. It's for sure the most poorly understood continent for me yet. Oh well, more to discover in my future.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:54 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
I've been to Kenya and Tanzania which is why they are not on the list. Also, interest in the culture is a given for all of the places below.

Botswana - Kalahari, wildlife, peaceful country.

South Africa - Geographic variation, coast, mountains.

Mali - Music, architecture.

Ghana - History (Ashanti Kingdom), coast, music (drumming).

Zimbabwe - Zimbabwe archaeological site, Victoria Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa