U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Montreal
731 posts, read 844,812 times
Reputation: 307

Advertisements

Has Marmite been just as popular in South Africa (among whites, anyway) as in the UK and New Zealand (and Vegemite in Australia), or has it not been quite as popular in South Africa as in those other countries?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2014, 05:07 AM
 
5 posts, read 6,570 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Has Marmite been just as popular in South Africa (among whites, anyway) as in the UK and New Zealand (and Vegemite in Australia), or has it not been quite as popular in South Africa as in those other countries?
I enjoy marmite, and it's popular here. However, it's not like how Vegemite is in OZ which is basically a cultural staple.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Montreal
731 posts, read 844,812 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSaffaMoving View Post
I enjoy marmite, and it's popular here. However, it's not like how Vegemite is in OZ which is basically a cultural staple.
I guess, probably, that it's Peck's Anchovettes (rather than Marmite) which is as much a staple in South Africa as Vegemite is in Australia?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 04:24 AM
 
5 posts, read 6,570 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I guess, probably, that it's Peck's Anchovettes (rather than Marmite) which is as much a staple in South Africa as Vegemite is in Australia?
Yeah Pecks is quite popular (it disgusts me, personally) but Vegemite is one of those things that if you're in any country in all of the world and you say "Vegemite" most everyone will associate it with Australia. In the same way that even in Russia or Iowa, USA you can say "Nandos" and think of ZA.

Amongst my friends and family I don't think anyone likes Pecks that much, however any self respecting South African loves some Mrs.Balls Chutney!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Montreal
731 posts, read 844,812 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSaffaMoving View Post
Yeah Pecks is quite popular (it disgusts me, personally) but Vegemite is one of those things that if you're in any country in all of the world and you say "Vegemite" most everyone will associate it with Australia. In the same way that even in Russia or Iowa, USA you can say "Nandos" and think of ZA.

Amongst my friends and family I don't think anyone likes Pecks that much, however any self respecting South African loves some Mrs.Balls Chutney!
Sounds like Mrs. Balls Chutney, Ouma Rusks, and Peck's Anchovettes, as well as biltong and boerewors, are all more popular than Marmite both in South Africa and in the South African diaspora?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top