Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 AM

156 posts, read 287,495 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what will be the world's first truly developed African country, and in which year will this be achieved? Think on the level of Switzerland or Denmark, not those straddling on the periphery like South Korea.

I'd say Ghana in the year 2100. I base this conjecture on what I've heard and read about the country. It seems to be performing very well for its size compared to other giants like Nigeria or South Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 AM

671 posts, read 854,309 times
What definition are you using for developed? Westernized? Industrialized?

Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
2100 lol

Seriously, I would say that South Africa and Morocco, are already "developed". Possibly others, but those are two that I have been to.

I do think Mali and Gabon (other countries that I have been to) do have some work to do, but I don't think it will take 100 years lol.

I also don't see how you can claim that "South Korea is not fully developed". They are more advanced technologically than places like the United States. What counts as "developed" in your view? Only rich countries with lots of welfare (like Switzerland and Denmark)?

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM

156 posts, read 287,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
2100 lol

Seriously, I would say that South Africa and Morocco, are already "developed". Possibly others, but those are two that I have been to.

I do think Mali and Gabon (other countries that I have been to) do have some work to do, but I don't think it will take 100 years lol.

I also don't see how you can claim that "South Korea is not fully developed". They are more advanced technologically than places like the United States. What counts as "developed" in your view? Only rich countries with lots of welfare (like Switzerland and Denmark)?
Wealth is just one of the traits of being a developed country; it's not the only indicator. According to my non-academic and pedestrian definition of the term 'developed country', it refers to a level where most people of that country are near the tip of Maslow's Hierarchy, having no worries for tomorrow's food and shelter. It also involves a government that holds free and fair elections. It's not entirely about technology (though it is again, one of the indicators) but how society fosters a spirit of innovation in its people. Having said that, I wouldn't describe Morocco as being 'developed' even though it has the usual bells and whistles like internet access, hot bath water and what-nots.

It might sound ludicrous to set 2100 as the year when Africa will see its first 'developed' country but decades swing by in a blink and let us not forget that a country's progress is intrinsically linked to its regional neighbours. That is to say, development is not an independent backyard activity.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:08 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,121 times
I think South Africa is already close to being "developed". But I think Ghana is the next country but I think way before 2100.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
As we know many educated Africans leave their home countries so that they can take better advantage of their education. I think in order for more African countries to develop to their full potential will require African governments to figure out what changes they need to make with their countries so that more of their better educated will stay in their home country. Once African governments make these changes then you'll see some real development on the continent. Africa needs its educated to stick around for development.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:49 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,857 times
Never, African leaders can not lead. Africa will only become first world if they allow themselves to be colonolized again which is unlikely. When African countries were colonized, their economies were pretty good.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
Hmm, is it Equitoreal Guinea, South Africa, Angola, and Mozambique.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
The world's first developed African country? How is that different from "Africa's first developed country"?

It happened already. The Republic of South Africa, under white rule. To a traveler passing through, it was just like Canada or Australia.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:04 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The world's first developed African country? How is that different from "Africa's first developed country"?

It happened already. The Republic of South Africa, under white rule. To a traveler passing through, it was just like Canada or Australia.
This!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa