U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2015, 12:07 PM
 
723 posts, read 651,966 times
Reputation: 392

Advertisements

Immigration goes both ways folks ! So you guys should chill out there in Europe!
Hein de Haas: Europeans looking for greener pastures in Africa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2015, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,364 posts, read 24,104,739 times
Reputation: 8869
Keep in mind you are quoting a 2012 article using 2010 numbers when most first world countries were in recession. So why don't you find something more current using current numbers to make your point with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Reputation: 36087
The article is not about "Africa", it is about people moving to Mediterranean beach resorts a short boat ride from Spain. Nobody is resettling in Nigeria or Zimbabwe. In fact, the cost of living in most African capitals is higher than in European capitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 06:42 PM
 
6,816 posts, read 6,949,575 times
Reputation: 5486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The article is not about "Africa", it is about people moving to Mediterranean beach resorts a short boat ride from Spain. Nobody is resettling in Nigeria or Zimbabwe. In fact, the cost of living in most African capitals is higher than in European capitals.
Is this true? Doesn't seem likely. NYC, Paris, London, Tokyo are the world's most expensive cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,697 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Reputation: 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Is this true? Doesn't seem likely. NYC, Paris, London, Tokyo are the world's most expensive cities.
I'm with you on that. I know that some capitals in Africa are notoriously expensive (for instance, The Most Expensive City in the World Is in One of the Poorest Countries in Africa | RYOT News), but even then, that's only for those people who are living/working in de-facto company towns who are earning enough to afford where they are (thus, relatively, its not "expensive" for those people).

But, just picking some African capitals off the top of my head, let's do a head to head comparison between them and major European capitals:

1) Accra, Ghana vs. London, UK:

Quote:
Consumer Prices in Accra are 18.33% lower than in London
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Accra are 21.77% lower than in London
Rent Prices in Accra are 26.29% lower than in London
Restaurant Prices in Accra are 37.54% lower than in London
Groceries Prices in Accra are 8.58% lower than in London
Local Purchasing Power in Accra is 86.23% lower than in London
2) Accra, Ghana vs. Paris, France:

Quote:
Consumer Prices in Accra are 12.46% lower than in Paris
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Accra are 4.83% lower than in Paris
Rent Prices in Accra are 9.05% higher than in Paris
Restaurant Prices in Accra are 35.10% lower than in Paris
Groceries Prices in Accra are 14.10% lower than in Paris
Local Purchasing Power in Accra is 87.08% lower than in Paris



3) Lagos, Nigeria vs. London, UK:

Quote:
Consumer Prices in Lagos are 39.55% lower than in London
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Lagos are 51.13% lower than in London
Rent Prices in Lagos are 66.38% lower than in London
Restaurant Prices in Lagos are 46.91% lower than in London
Groceries Prices in Lagos are 34.07% lower than in London
Local Purchasing Power in Lagos is 57.19% lower than in London
4) Lagos, Nigeria vs. Paris, France:

Quote:
Consumer Prices in Lagos are 35.21% lower than in Paris
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Lagos are 40.55% lower than in Paris
Rent Prices in Lagos are 50.26% lower than in Paris
Restaurant Prices in Lagos are 44.82% lower than in Paris
Groceries Prices in Lagos are 38.05% lower than in Paris
Local Purchasing Power in Lagos is 59.81% lower than in Paris
5) Luanda, Angola vs. Paris, France:

Quote:
Consumer Prices in Luanda are 21.23% higher than in Paris
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Luanda are 65.66% higher than in Paris
Rent Prices in Luanda are 146.35% higher than in Paris
Restaurant Prices in Luanda are 22.24% higher than in Paris
Groceries Prices in Luanda are 0.74% higher than in Paris
Local Purchasing Power in Luanda is 56.44% lower than in Paris
6)
Quote:
Consumer Prices in Luanda are 13.11% higher than in London
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Luanda are 36.17% higher than in London
Rent Prices in Luanda are 66.52% higher than in London
Restaurant Prices in Luanda are 17.63% higher than in London
Groceries Prices in Luanda are 7.21% higher than in London
Local Purchasing Power in Luanda is 53.60% lower than in London
7) Kampala, Uganda vs. London, UK:

Quote:
Consumer Prices in Kampala are 42.21% lower than in London
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Kampala are 62.12% lower than in London
Rent Prices in Kampala are 88.31% lower than in London
Restaurant Prices in Kampala are 68.13% lower than in London
Groceries Prices in Kampala are 25.32% lower than in London
Local Purchasing Power in Kampala is 74.97% lower than in London
8) Kampala, Uganda vs. Paris, France:

Quote:
Consumer Prices in Kampala are 38.06% lower than in Paris
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Kampala are 53.91% lower than in Paris
Rent Prices in Kampala are 82.71% lower than in Paris
Restaurant Prices in Kampala are 66.88% lower than in Paris
Groceries Prices in Kampala are 29.83% lower than in Paris
Local Purchasing Power in Kampala is 76.50% lower than in Paris
Source: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

It seems like cities like Luanda, Angola are outliers in terms of African capitals being more expensive than European capitals (at least Western European cities).

Last edited by Yac; 01-21-2015 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The article is not about "Africa", it is about people moving to Mediterranean beach resorts a short boat ride from Spain. Nobody is resettling in Nigeria or Zimbabwe. In fact, the cost of living in most African capitals is higher than in European capitals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Is this true? Doesn't seem likely. NYC, Paris, London, Tokyo are the world's most expensive cities.
I don't know if it's true or not. BUT, last year I went to Ethiopia, and was quite surprised how much they try to charge foreigners for hotels and taxis and such. They are prices that I don't see how locals can afford.

I've had more seasoned travelers explain to me that Africa (and I'm thinking Sub-Saharan Africa) is you pay a lot for western comforts, or you go completely 100% NOTHING at all, there isn't any 'budget area' for anything unlike Asian countries like India, Indonesia, etc.

Why that, is a question I'd like to have answered. Why aren't there locals everywhere creating a niche of low-budget hostel choices and cheap ways to get around (much like travelers would see in Thailand, India, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2015, 12:01 PM
 
293 posts, read 261,074 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm with you on that. I know that some capitals in Africa are notoriously expensive (for instance, The Most Expensive City in the World Is in One of the Poorest Countries in Africa | RYOT News), but even then, that's only for those people who are living/working in de-facto company towns who are earning enough to afford where they are (thus, relatively, its not "expensive" for those people).

But, just picking some African capitals off the top of my head, let's do a head to head comparison between them and major European capitals:

1) Accra, Ghana vs. London, UK:



2) Accra, Ghana vs. Paris, France:






3) Lagos, Nigeria vs. London, UK:



4) Lagos, Nigeria vs. Paris, France:



5) Luanda, Angola vs. Paris, France:



6)

7) Kampala, Uganda vs. London, UK:



8) Kampala, Uganda vs. Paris, France:



Source: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

It seems like cities like Luanda, Angola are outliers in terms of African capitals being more expensive than European capitals (at least Western European cities).
That website isn't exactly the most accurate to use because it is formulated through submitted opinions. Most of the opinions that likely come from Africa are expats who have a job there. Many expats living in Angola often live in gated communities, such as hotels or condo complexes, with restaurants and shopping centers located in these communities. Food and luxuries for these communities are imported and heavily taxed by the government since they can get away with it because the oil companies pay for the costs up front for their workers who live there. This happens because Luanda is very dangerous and has high crime, leaving little room for expats to mingle in certain parts of the city.

The costs for different housing arrangements for locals is probably very different. Thus though Angola is expensive, it seems most of the expense in concentrated within expats who live there.

Last edited by Yac; 01-21-2015 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2015, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,697 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Reputation: 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
That website isn't exactly the most accurate to use because it is formulated through submitted opinions. Most of the opinions that likely come from Africa are expats who have a job there. Many expats living in Angola often live in gated communities, such as hotels or condo complexes, with restaurants and shopping centers located in these communities. Food and luxuries for these communities are imported and heavily taxed by the government since they can get away with it because the oil companies pay for the costs up front for their workers who live there. This happens because Luanda is very dangerous and has high crime, leaving little room for expats to mingle in certain parts of the city.

The costs for different housing arrangements for locals is probably very different. Thus though Angola is expensive, it seems most of the expense in concentrated within expats who live there.
Yes, I acknowledged that point about Luanda in my original post. Even acknowledging the potential pitfalls of this site, I'm not finding anything to seriously suggest (as at least one user in this thread has claimed) that African capitals are generally more expensive than European capitals (and Western European capitals in particular). Everything I'm finding seems to suggest that this is far from the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2015, 01:09 PM
 
293 posts, read 261,074 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, I acknowledged that point about Luanda in my original post. Even acknowledging the potential pitfalls of this site, I'm not finding anything to seriously suggest (as at least one user in this thread has claimed) that African capitals are generally more expensive than European capitals (and Western European capitals in particular). Everything I'm finding seems to suggest that this is far from the case.
My mistake, my eyesight must be off today.

I would generally agree, also in the case that it is impossible to garner comprehensive statistics within any sub-Sharan African country because many people live by their own means and most governments lack capacity or infrastructure to find complex data regarding their countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 PM
 
3,274 posts, read 3,693,861 times
Reputation: 5438
I remember reading about Luanda. To make its point about the crazy cost of life, the article indicated that a sandwich in a crappy takeout cafe cost $12. However, an important fact to be considered is that this is for a Western-style life in a gated, secure compound. It's not really "life in Luanda" any more than transiting an airport means you've visited a country. The average Luanda resident is obviously not spending $12 on a sandwich, but I'm not sure most expats would want to live like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top