Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 09:07 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times

Advertisements

Pan-Africanism is an interesting concept but from my interactions with working with Africans that is a concept that is foreign to the one's I've spoken to. I can think of a Nigerian guy I worked with who though it strange and uncomfortable that some African Americans called him "bro" he didn't see himself as "black" even though he knew his color was dark brown was he viewed himself as a Yoruba from Nigeria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 10:02 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
I'm not a "afro-centric" warrior so I really don't give a toot if tut was a "black" or not by I am curious to know where the like of "blackness" ends and whatever else that comes after that.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I'm not a "afro-centric" warrior so I really don't give a toot if tut was a "black" or not by I am curious to know where the like of "blackness" ends and whatever else that comes after that.
Well according to some of these studies done by Eurocentrists, pure "Black" is only confined to West and Central/South Africa.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:25 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I don't really understand your question. But I can somewhat understand his mindset. I came to the US when quite young and really didn't have a concept of being white that isn't something that I learned at home that was learned by interacting with American culture I thought of myself in terms of ethnicity prior to that I still don't identify much with race.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:31 AM

22 posts, read 16,005 times
Quote:
North Africa was a Roman territory at one time that means modern day North Africa is somehow Roman too according to your logic
North Africa's relation to Rome were cut by the Islamic conquests, if the relation continued then maybe then North Africans would be more affiliated with south europeans more tan west Asian Arabs.
but the same didnt happen for French or Brits or Germans, their relation with Rome has coontinued whether by occupation or just by culture and history, thats why Europe has shared history and values while North African countries are now being called Arabs althought they aren't

Old 11-14-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote originally by gwillyfromphilly
Quote:
Nothing gets this guy more angry then seeing an African American embrace Egypt and its culture
iam Egyptian myself and i think i am fully entitled to tell you to not Embrace Egypt and its culture
you call it embracing while everybody knows it is stealing
Pan-africanism exists only in the African american minds, real Africans whether North ones or Sub saharans do not believe or seek pan africanism, so hopefully u keep ur delusions in ur ghettos and realize u people aren't even African, u are American and u have nothing in common with Africans (sub Saharan ones) except for ur skin color
you are foreign to sub saharan Africans and them (sub saharans) are totally foreign to Egypt

Old 11-14-2015, 07:41 AM

67 posts, read 62,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWlll View Post
Quote originally by gwillyfromphilly

iam Egyptian myself and i think i am fully entitled to tell you to not Embrace Egypt and its culture
Pan-africanism exists only in the African american minds, real Africans whether North ones or Sub saharans do not believe or seek pan africanism, so hopefully u keep ur delusions in ur ghettos and realize u people aren't even African, u are American and u have nothing in common with Africans (sub Saharan ones) except for ur skin color
you are foreign to sub saharan Africans and them (sub saharans) are totally foreign to Egypt
american blacks are very ignorant of africa

most aren't even really african, most are mixes of white and black american!

Egypt has NOTHING to do with the black american experience, they are trying to steal such culture!

Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Or really your Egyptian? No pictures or anything that would indicate that you're Egyptian. I could say I'm from mars but that doesn't mean it's true.

Even if you are Egyptian, so what? You don't have the right or authority to tell me what country a can or cannot embrace, especially someone who is of African descent or someone who embraces all African culture. I don't see you getting upset about Hollywood long history of portraying ancient Egyptians as Europeans in their films but if an African American happens to uplift and embrace Egypt and its culture, all of a sudden that's when you get upset and want to put your foot down.

Quote:
Pan-africanism exists only in the African american minds, real Africans whether North ones or Sub saharans do not believe or seek pan africanism,
Certainly not true. Have you ever heard of the Organization of African Unity? It's now called the African Union. Maybe you've heard of it..

Home | African Union
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Union

Quote:
so hopefully u keep ur delusions in ur ghettos and realize u people aren't even African, u are American and u have nothing in common with Africans (sub Saharan ones) except for ur skin color
So your assuming all African Americans leave in the ghetto?

Quote:
Okay. A guy from Sweden would be foreign in the United States.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:17 PM

592 posts, read 589,722 times
Quote:
North Africa's relation to Rome were cut by the Islamic conquests, if the relation continued then maybe then North Africans would be more affiliated with south europeans more tan west Asian Arabs.
but the same didnt happen for French or Brits or Germans, their relation with Rome has coontinued whether by occupation or just by culture and history, thats why Europe has shared history and values while North African countries are now being called Arabs althought they aren't

What you're describing is cultural assimilation. Those Northern Europeans consisted of different ethnic groups/tribes that had their own language, religious systems and customs before the Romans wiped it out. These people had little of anything to do with the foundations of Greek and Roman scientific, religious and philosophical concepts, which I would argue was borrowed from the Ancient Egyptians. The same applies to native peoples in the western hemisphere whom were conquered and forced to convert to Christianity, that didn't make those people magically become European. Same for Africans whom were stolen from Africa and dropped in the western hemisphere. Though these people adopted some of the customs and language of the European didn't make them European. There are several examples of customs from different ethnic/tribal groups from west and central Africa that were retained through music, food, religious/spiritual systems and dance, ie Voudon, Santeria, jazz, hip hop, reggae, funk, r&b, merengue, samba, and much more. This talk about black people in the western hemisphere some how being so culturally distant from native Africans in my opinion is not a good argument. If you read my previous posts from another similar thread I posted a vast array of information that one could argue that Ancient Egypt had more in common with the rest of Africa than it did with the Middle East or Europe before Greek/Roman/Arab conquests.

Last edited by jkc2j; 11-14-2015 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by gwillyfromphilly
Quote:
Or really your Egyptian? No pictures or anything that would indicate that you're Egyptian. I could say I'm from mars but that doesn't mean it's true.
What kind of proof do u want ??
a picture of me standing beside pyramids ? That doesn't even qualify as a proof, any tourist have such pictures plus i dont even have one, i visited the pyramids only once
tell me how do u want me to prove i to you i am Egyptian

Quote:
I don't see you getting upset about Hollywood long history of portraying ancient Egyptians as Europeans
yepp i dont mind them doing that since their portrayal of us as europeans was never intended to steal our history from us .
Check the movie the mummy, the one playing Imhotep looked so EGyptian, i watched the whole movie thinking they hired an egyptian amteur actor till i was shocked at the end of the movie when i read the actor's name (Arnold Vosloo) and he appeared to be dutsh later but was heavily tanned for the role as Imhotep

The Spike TV mini series (King Tut) was starred by two dark people, Avan Jogia a half indian and Ben Kingsly, so hollywood are atleast trying

the Movie Exodus with Bale and Edgerton was ofcourse so far from accurate when it comes to how Egyptians look like but atleast i never see the movie director or the fans claiming they believe this is how we looked like or make any dumb claims of ancient Egyptians being anglo Saxon ppl while dismissing us modern Egyptians as anything like ARabs or Romans or Greeks (like afrocentrics do to steal our history)

Quote:
but if an African American happens to uplift and embrace Egypt and its culture
u know e are not talking about EMBRACING, rather talking about theft, to claim modern EGyptians are "Half Breeds" or "Mongrels" or "invaders" like i have been called by afrocentrics many times isn't "Embracing" and u know that.

Quote:
Certainly not true. Have you ever heard of the Organization of African Unity? It's now called the African Union. Maybe you've heard of it.
yea we also have african football cup but does this mean all Africans feel united or even seek unity ?
ask anyone even from Sub Saharan Africa and he will tell u wtf does pan africanism stands for ?!

Quote:
Okay. A guy from Sweden would be foreign in the United States
A swedish man foreig to US is like a Korean man Foreign to China, while a Sub Saharan African in Egypt is like a British man in Japan, understand the difference ?

Last edited by WWlll; 11-14-2015 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa