U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:52 AM

251 posts, read 223,312 times

Advertisements

Do a Punnett square (dominant vs recessive trait) melanin vs. no melanin (the rest is history) -who came first the chicken or the egg?

Last edited by Mashiara4life; 02-06-2015 at 07:02 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 11:56 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,238,493 times
Same B.S. arguement that has been going on for years.

Race is a social construct.

I think ethnic Egyptains are in a better place to anwer this question not outsiders that want to claim their achievements as their own.

Nodicists and Afrocentrists both have an Agenda claiming a history that is not theirs.

Agriculture started in Mesopotamia about 12,000 years ago West Africa about 3,000 YBP Northern Europe about 7,000 YBP that should be a big clue.

The civilizations that have had the largest impact on western culture, were from the Mediterranean or Middle East not Northern Europe or Sub-Saharan Africa sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:22 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,958,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I only saw schoolbooks saying that Cleopatra and her kin (Ptolemaics) were white and they were since they were Greeks, otherwise I have seen nowhere the claim that Ancient Egyptians are white.
They might be depicted as such (Exodus for example, which is an American film btw) but I never heard (and being an European I never felt) of Egyptians (be them modern or ancient) seen as Europeans.
Jesus is often depicted as white while he was probable of "olive skin".
Well Ive seen books where they look very light skinned. Never are any of them dark skinned or ''brown''

Old 02-06-2015, 04:59 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
I find this article fascinating. It provides some important insight to this discussion.
http:// http://ngm.nationalgeographi...aper-text.html

Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 PM

15,523 posts, read 17,745,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Well Ive seen books where they look very light skinned. Never are any of them dark skinned or ''brown''

Granted I am only in my 40s so maybe schoolbooks had been 'reformed' by the time I was in my early school years in the early 80s, and certainly by the time I went to University in the early 90s (and I studied archaeology and classics, so Egyptians were certainly a part of that), I saw no depictions of European looking 'White' Egyptians in any with the exception of the Greek Ptolemeics.

In fact, the only depictions I have ever seen of European looking Egyptians was in some old Hollywood films from long before I was born. Maybe if you grew up back in the 40s and 50s those images were ingrained.

But while seems to be a dearth of material depicting ancient Egyptians as looking like you average Yoruba or Bantu, nor have I seen any depictions of a Pharaoh who looked like he could be a Norman princeling either.

So what kind of depictions was I, an average American child in the late 20th century, exposed to?

When I was growing up, the library in my town had a reproduction bust of Nefertiti:

Also, most textbooks, portrayed images of Egyptians from 2 dimensional wall art such as this:

And of course the famous Tuthankhamun deathmask which, while it doesn't depict skin tone, does show bone structure and facial features:

Last edited by ABQConvict; 02-06-2015 at 09:35 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 03:15 AM

3,513 posts, read 2,516,206 times
Ah yes, Nefertiti, called in her time, "fair of face."

And the Heiress, Great in the Palace, Fair of Face,

Adorned with the Double Plumes, Mistress of Happiness,

Endowed with Favours, at hearing whose voice the King rejoices,

the Chief Wife of the King, his beloved, the Lady of the Two Lands,

Neferneferuaten-Nefertiti, May she live for Ever and Always.”

Old 02-07-2015, 09:59 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,238,493 times
Just to be clear I don't have a horse in this race I really don't care what race the ancient Egyptians were, however I will state this, 20+ years ago I took a couple university courses on African American studies and did observe that some of my classmates went to great lengths often times grasping at very little in an attempt to prove that the ancient Egyptians were black. If you ask me kind of silly DNA has shown that African-Americans African DNA via Y-DNA, MtDNA and Autosomal DNA is over 90% West African also 18-20% of their genome is European 1/3 of Y-DNA in African Americans traces to a European paternal ancestor. Why don't Afrocentrists claim their European ancestry as well as the African?

How about a different perspective from an Egyptian archaeologist Zahi Hawass.

He gives his opinion on the symbolism of color in ancient Egyptian artifacts. He states the artifacts in the tombs were not meant to represent daily life but rather and idealistic afterlife. He also states among other things that the color black on the states symbolized fertility.

If there any Egyptians that care to comment on this subject I would like to hear your input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUaWazRHTLg

Old 02-07-2015, 07:11 PM

723 posts, read 652,178 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaQiGDZVDz4

For more info about Africa see also episode 2/8 through episode 8/8

Old 02-07-2015, 09:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 2,516,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaQiGDZVDz4

For more info about Africa see also episode 2/8 through episode 8/8
Basil Davidson did his work decades before anyone was doing DNA studies on the Egyptians. What is more, he was neither a geneticist himself nor a forensic anthropologist. So if you are citing him as some kind of evidence for you contention, he isn't.

What is more, he stated in one of his books, AFRICA REVISITED, that they were a mixed race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or