U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 05:20 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times

Advertisements

Anyone been to KHARTOUM, SUDAN? What did you experience/observe/etc. there?

I definitely realize it isn't a popular destination, and it would be a challenge to visit there, get around, and everything else.

Just curious what people experienced while there, and observations they had, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:46 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
Yes, I liked it, but it was a long time ago (1975), I thought about staying there, but I was on route to a working prospect elsewhere. People were nice, friendly, hospitable. I'm sure it has changed a lot, but in those days, it didn't have a very urban feel to it at all, and Omdurman, across the river, was still like the 19th century, without any of the modern amenities of the capital. Wonderful food, great climate. Really, one of my favorite big cities of my life of travelI.

I'm glad you asked -- I enjoy the nostalgia or remembering it.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-03-2015 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-03-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, I liked it, but it was a long time ago (1975), I thought about staying there, but I was on route to a working prospect elsewhere. People were nice, friendly, hospitable. I'm sure it has changed a lot, but in those days, it didn't have a very urban feel to it at all, and Omdurman, across the river, was still like the 19th century, without any of the modern amenities of the capital. Wonderful food, great climate. Really, one of my favorite big cities of my life of travelI.

I'm glad you asked -- I enjoy the nostalgia or remembering it.
Wow, this is pretty much the exact opposite response than I expected. I expected a person to say that it was gut-wrenchingly conservative (because of the strong muslim influence) and incredibly boring (because of the ban on alcohol). For some reason, I kind of imagine a Saudi Arabia placed in Africa. I also read how difficult it is for visas to Sudan as well, which made me imagine a third Saudi Arabia connection in my mind.

All of that being said, I do have a possibility to visit there in 2016, and would absolutely love to see what it looks like. I have met a few Sudanese before, and they were extremely hospitable, friendly, nice, etc.

I wasn't aware of the great climate and good food. I'm also happy to hear that it was one of your favorite big cities in your life to travel and see! It certainly seems quite different and unique than most other countries/cities on this planet, so perhaps I should plan more to take advantage of this possible chance to see Khartoum in 2016, (just for 3-4 days, most likely).

If you could share a few experiences, and perhaps refute some of my images/thoughts of the city, I'd be quite interested to hear about it.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:35 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
One really wonderful memory i have, my wife and I met another American couple on the boat and train from Egypt, and on the train, we were befriended by a young Sudanese man, and we got together again in Khartoum. We were there at Christmas time, so he invited us all to his family's home in Omdurman for a Christmas feast. Which they did not observe, but they knew that we did. His sisters dressed up the two wives in their Sudanese traditional clothing, to take photos, and the meal was absolutely wonderfully home-cooked traditional Sudanese food. The family lived rather simply, in a quite ordinary house with few western-style furnishing, the meal cooked over an open fire.

When the train arrived late at night in Khartoum, we were shown the way to the youth hostel, which was just an enclosure in a residential area, with army-style cots on the front lawn, under the stars. There was no electricity, so we were shown our accommodations by flashlight. After the grueling dusty 3 days and nights on the deck of the Lake Aswan boat and third class on the overcrowded train, we were asleep before our heads hit the very welcome pillows. The hostel breakfast of croissants, honey and coffee seemed like the best breakfast ever, and then fresh mango smoothiies for lunch.

I should add that the Muslim presence in Khartoum was nothing new to us, we had spent the previous two years in Jordan. Muslims are not people to be afraid of, they are hospitable and generous and trustworthy to a fault.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:06 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,512,171 times
Interesting! Thanks for sharing, Sudan interests me as does Eritrea.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Interesting! Thanks for sharing, Sudan interests me as does Eritrea.
Eritrea is even more interesting to me. I loved visiting Ethiopia. An interesting region altogether.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
One really wonderful memory i have, my wife and I met another American couple on the boat and train from Egypt, and on the train, we were befriended by a young Sudanese man, and we got together again in Khartoum. We were there at Christmas time, so he invited us all to his family's home in Omdurman for a Christmas feast. Which they did not observe, but they knew that we did. His sisters dressed up the two wives in their Sudanese traditional clothing, to take photos, and the meal was absolutely wonderfully home-cooked traditional Sudanese food. The family lived rather simply, in a quite ordinary house with few western-style furnishing, the meal cooked over an open fire.

When the train arrived late at night in Khartoum, we were shown the way to the youth hostel, which was just an enclosure in a residential area, with army-style cots on the front lawn, under the stars. There was no electricity, so we were shown our accommodations by flashlight. After the grueling dusty 3 days and nights on the deck of the Lake Aswan boat and third class on the overcrowded train, we were asleep before our heads hit the very welcome pillows. The hostel breakfast of croissants, honey and coffee seemed like the best breakfast ever, and then fresh mango smoothiies for lunch.

I should add that the Muslim presence in Khartoum was nothing new to us, we had spent the previous two years in Jordan. Muslims are not people to be afraid of, they are hospitable and generous and trustworthy to a fault.
Great story! Actually, I met a Sudanese man in Doha, Qatar as I was being a tourist walking around downtown. As I was trying to find a cab in an unusual location, a random person stopped by, not a taxi driver, and brought me to a 'mall'. The guy was Sudanese. He didn't want anything in return. Actually I was a bit reluctant to just jump in his car like that, but turned out fine. It was just 1-2 km, but I was a bit turned around, so it was much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa