U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 AM

351 posts, read 550,712 times

Advertisements

What kind of information can you give for someone in Africa for the first time in the summer months. Recommendations for what are the best or most interesting countries to visit where an English speaker would have the least difficulty? I am considering Ethiopia, South Africa, Ghana, Gambia, and Namibia (would probably only go to one maybe two). Am open to other suggestions. Will probably be traveling single. What do you think about group tours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
I've heard that Ethiopia has suddenly and inexplicably beclme very expensive, but everyone who goes there loves it. But not a lot of English is spoken. South Africa is not "true Africa", in that is is very Europeanized., andn personal security could be a problem for strangers who don't know their way around. Namibia is very desolate, with huge spaces of nothing for hundreds of miles around a pretty westernized and uninspiring capital.

That leaves Ghana and Gambia. Ghana is truly African, fairly well developed and organized but still an Africa experience. Probably a good choice for a first trip to Africa. Gambia is a lot more rustic, with transport slow and difficult and amenities challenging, unless you just go there and hang at the beach. One advantage of Gambia is the fairly cheap air fares into nearby Dakar.

I originally added a comment here about whether to use a group tour, but I decided to create a separate thread about that, qv.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-08-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 04:40 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,709,233 times
There is no uniform or unique advice or info on all these countries, every country is different with different culture, landscape, politics ,people and history

Old 02-08-2015, 05:44 PM

351 posts, read 550,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
There is no uniform or unique advice or info on all these countries, every country is different with different culture, landscape, politics ,people and history
I am looking for responses from people with experience traveling in Africa and have information that would be useful for a traveler whatever parts of Africa they have visited. Like jtur's post for example was quite informative.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:02 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,501,368 times
On your list, I have visited Ethiopia and I enjoyed it a lot.

English may be a problem when talking to locals, but the tours I went on had guides that could speak sufficient English. I didn't go in the middle of summer but bear in mind if you do go, it will be the monsoon for the majority of the country. Are you male or female? I guess it would be fine travelling single as a man, but if you plan on visiting the Danakil Depression, I suggest you go as a group.

Out of the list I would pick Ethiopia and Ghana, and maybe Namibia.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
What kind of information can you give for someone in Africa for the first time in the summer months. Recommendations for what are the best or most interesting countries to visit where an English speaker would have the least difficulty? I am considering Ethiopia, South Africa, Ghana, Gambia, and Namibia (would probably only go to one maybe two). Am open to other suggestions. Will probably be traveling single. What do you think about group tours?
Of those countries, I only went to Ethiopia, and I only went to Addis Ababa. Prior to going, I had heard that Ethiopia would be the one country with the largest language barrier (as it was never cut up and colonized with a strong european power - briefly Italy was there, but no Italian language is there).

But, Addis Ababa was quite easy to get around and do everything with English. I didnt even think about it as an issue or problem at all. Occassionally, I'd meet someone who couldn't speak to me, but it seemed more the exception than the rule.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:20 PM

723 posts, read 652,074 times
You will enjoy Ghana and The Gambia.They are nice people.
When In Banjul, Gambia your trip might coincide with those festivals during which the President loves dancing with the crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=022sv86UzfE

Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 AM

30 posts, read 35,400 times
How about Kenya?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 558 times
I only went to Egypt in South Africa of those countries that to it was solo travel. But, I had taken the help of the well known travel agency Complete Egypt. I enjoyed a lot there and learnt many things about ancient Egypt. Egypt is the fascinating place for tourist. Luxor temple, Cairo city, Pyramids and the Nile river are the famous place in there.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:32 AM

274 posts, read 293,175 times
Well if you have any questions about South Africa, lemme know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or