U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:22 PM

11,659 posts, read 6,266,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerrunner View Post
I just wonder how many of your respondents have actually spent any time in Africa...and if they have not, what their opinions are based on.
For me, personally, I haven't been to Africa, but my sister and brother have. Also, I have many family members in two West African countries, people whom I speak to frequently enough. Then I have many African friends; friends are from Ghana, Nigeria, Morocco, Egypt, Cameroon, Algeria, Kenya and Uganda, but I have met people from Zimbabwe, South Africa, and other countries. Equally as important, though, I conducted some research online into the matter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 06:08 AM

271 posts, read 292,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Is it true that Africans mostly live in thatched hut villages like in National Geographic and movies like The Gods Must Be Crazy and Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls? Or is that just a misconception and they actually live in trailers, apartments and houses?

Do most people in Africa watch TV and listen to the radio, even if they live in very remote areas?
I think you need to narrow you question down. Africa is huge. Pick a region rather and even then it'll be difficult to say as there is often a large gap between the wealthy and the poor in a lot of the African countries. The wealthy are going to live like kings and probably have a more Western lifestyle whereas the poor are going to be in shacks, government built houses or possibly even huts.

If I answer this based on the Southern Africa region. Most of the countries here are developed and we live fairly Western style lives in the main cities and surround areas. There are however still villages/townships out in the more rural areas where you can find huts, shacks, government housing. For the most part the townships are mainly shacks though (in Jhb at least).

Quote:
I just wonder how many of your respondents have actually spent any time in Africa...and if they have not, what their opinions are based on.
Born and raised in South Africa with lots of friends at university/work who were from different parts of Africa.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:57 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,964,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Ignorant Western stereotypes.....
^^^ This

Old 02-15-2015, 02:19 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,946,231 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfmB7ZCo1Y8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CGpsiJ3dU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jD8Iia8VmU

Normal cities with houses, High rises, Shops and traffic.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:54 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
A very large numbers of rural Africans and those living in the suburbs of cities live in rather simplistic housing. Most ares are not well vegetated enough for the significant use of organic material for housing, they are more often of a material similar to adobe. Cinder block is also common. A typical dwelling would be one or two rooms, and maybe one or two unglazed windows. Corrugated metal roofing is universal, unless thatch is readily available. The climate is not severe enough to require protection from cold or wind. Furniture is very skimpy, a couple of simple choirs and maybe a table. Floors unfinished dirt, cooking done on the floor or outdoors. Utilities like running water and electricity would be rare, except in urban suburbs, where it might be available, but not many can afford the luxury.

In most African countries, it is likely that a majority of people live in such housing, generally built and owned by the family, and often lived in while still under construction, awaiting earned funds to resources to improve the house.

Zooming in on Google Earth will give some idea of how many residences have a tin roof, and how few have any greenery anywhere near the village or the suburb.
I just tried going to Google Earth and looking at the submitted Panoramio photos, but sadly, travelers who submit them are the kinds of people who photograph only things like sunsets and monuments and the swimming pool at their hotel, so I couldn't really find any at all showing what Africa actually looks like.

Even in South America, a very high number of people live in houses not much more elaborate than the above. In fact, even in Mexico there are plenty of people who live that way, but not so much in he urban and industrialized north.

Climate is an important factor in prioritizing. In a climate that is pleasant all year around, there is little incentive to invest in the kind of housing that would meet the standards of temperate climates. Even in Chile, I've been in the well-built and furnished homes of middle-class people who have only corrugated plastic roofs with no ceiling beneath them, because nothing else is needed in the climate.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-16-2015 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 04:39 PM

264 posts, read 273,400 times
Your question reminds me of a recent skit by South African comedian Trevor Noah, who is now a correspondent on the Daily Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHO1a1kvZGo

Old 02-19-2015, 05:43 AM

30 posts, read 35,391 times
OMG, I cant believe I have to answer this! No we don't live in mud huts. We live in houses, have hi speed internet and electricity. There are a few people who live in mud huts, but there are people who live in polythene paper houses in SE Asia. There are also people who live on the streets in USA and UK.

You might need to cross a couple of borders to discover Africa, but as a sneak peek, wildlife amidst a bustling city. Good food, good people. I am from Kenya by the way.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:58 PM

2,203 posts, read 1,125,419 times
Africa's overall development is similar to the West 100 years ago.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:50 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,327,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Is it true that Africans mostly live in thatched hut villages like in National Geographic and movies like The Gods Must Be Crazy and Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls? Or is that just a misconception and they actually live in trailers, apartments and houses?

Do most people in Africa watch TV and listen to the radio, even if they live in very remote areas?
Africa as a whole is 40% urban and 60% rural.

Thatched mud huts are common in rural areas which are fitted for their construction.

Technologically Africa, even the depths of Subsaharan Africa, have leapfrogged beyond recognition in recent years. Where TV coverage did not exist or was limited to government channels and radio to shortwave broadcasts barely over a decade ago, now there are several private networks with quite professional "looks" and cell phones that you can pay for things in the market with.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:00 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,327,023 times
I found this on a Rwandan TV channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBEzdqId3Ww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or