Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:21 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times

Advertisements

The stereotype of the third world person living in huts or tar paper shacks is prevalent, but whenever video or pics of places in Africa or South America are shown often you see beautiful old cities, people driving cars, using modern technology etc. I think the idea that there is a much lower standard of living in these countries is way overblown. Everywhere has bad areas, and anyone can film a nations ghetto and project that as the way people live there. Imagine if someone from Europe or Asia took video of Detroit Michigan USA and showed it to the public claiming that this is the way Americans live. No different. Now statistics bear out the fact that per capita income in Africa is much lower than the west, but so is the cost of living. Its impossible for us to know how good or bad life is in a place like Africa when most of us have never been there and know little about it. Now war zones are a different story, they are horrible places to live whether your in the Congo, Syria or Ukraine. I have been to Europe once, and I was so lucky to see that. I would love to see more of the world including Africa, but the cost of it is beyond my means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 04:06 AM

277 posts, read 380,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I would love to see more of the world including Africa, but the cost of it is beyond my means.
I always wonder what it must be like to be a foreigner visiting Africa. Purely in terms of buying power. I imagine the most expensive part is the flight but once you're in whatever country I always imagine it must be ridiculously cheap?

To use South Africa vs Australia as an example. The average income (in my profession) is about 2-3x more in Australia with cost of living being over 2x more. So coming across from there you already earned a crud ton more and now everything while you're here is costing you less than half where each AUS dollar is like 10 ZAR >.<

You guys should be able to live like kings while you're here

Old 02-22-2015, 01:37 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,701 times
I am surprised nobody brought this up. So far the videos you guys posted are African cities that are either the largest city or the capital of their respective countries. If they are the core of their countries attracting a bulk of their population or economic actives, it isn't surprising to have the city built with modern infrastructures. But other than the capital/largest city, are there any African cities that are well built (outside of South Africa which is a G20 and BRICS country and clearly has several global cities)?

As you can see, the African cities that are on classified as global cities are all capital or largest city (besides South Africa and Egypt): Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-22-2015, 05:25 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
I am surprised nobody brought this up. So far the videos you guys posted are African cities that are either the largest city or the capital of their respective countries. If they are the core of their countries attracting a bulk of their population or economic actives, it isn't surprising to have the city built with modern infrastructures. But other than the capital/largest city, are there any African cities that are well built (outside of South Africa which is a G20 and BRICS country and clearly has several global cities)?

As you can see, the African cities that are on classified as global cities are all capital or largest city (besides South Africa and Egypt): Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think yes, if there capitals look good enough then what do you expect the towns and smaller cities to look like? Dirt roads and huts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF51Pug6hX4

Not great but not mud huts anyway I think the problem with Africa is inequality (on a massive scale in some Countries) not that's its just POOR

Last edited by P London; 02-22-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 05:40 PM

215 posts, read 389,886 times
I just wish they'd bring that show "Luther" back

Idris Elba is one of the best actors I've seen, most the time.

and I wish the Inkatha Freedom Party would rule South Africa and not Mandela's people or the ANC.

and if this info seems greatly outdated it's because I don't give a f*ck

I think Haitians are more likely to live in (urban) huts than Africans maybe.

now I'm going to go kill an albino so I can ground up their bones and use them for witchcraft.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I often play online bridge with various people in Africa. It's not unusual for someone who lives in northeastern USA to think people in Oklahoma live in teepees and hogans.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
There are people all over the World that live in Huts and other traditional dwellings . I have seen grass huts along the Orinoco River, and Natives in canoes with spears in Venezuela, and have seen Gypsies living in painted up wagons in Croatia, camping out near a River. Most folks do not live in Huts or such, but some still do.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:29 PM

215 posts, read 389,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
There are people all over the World that live in Huts and other traditional dwellings . I have seen grass huts along the Orinoco River, and Natives in canoes with spears in Venezuela, and have seen Gypsies living in painted up wagons in Croatia, camping out near a River. Most folks do not live in Huts or such, but some still do.
I guess the trailer park is like the "white man"'s version of a tribal hut in America, LMFAO

but unlike Gypsies or Travelers they don't ever go anywhere when they overstay their welcome

Old 02-28-2015, 01:56 AM

667 posts, read 939,972 times
Well Africa has some bigger cities that look pretty modern.
But other than that, most places, including many capital cities,look quite poor.
At least I have that impression after watching some reports.
Look at Kinshasa, Conakry, Monrovia, Ndjamena, Maputo, Addis Ababa - do they look modern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa