Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Just avoid Somalia.
Why? Northern Somalia (known as "Puntland") is as safe and welcoming as any other country in Africa. There are regular buses from Djibouti and Ethiopia, and I think you can get a visa at the border. Southern Somalia would probably be physically impossible to get into, even if you tried, but probably fairly safe if you did find a way to get in. Life goes on, there, you know.

Africa is pretty much surrounded by beaches, and no incentive to develop them because there is no local population in the demographic that would make them a worth while capital venture. As well as a global tourist market that consists almost exclusively of scaredy-cats who say "just avoid ---".. I have no idea what the definition of a "nice beach" is, whether the quality of a beach depends on the geographical characteristics, the political atmosphere, the developed amenities, or the character of the people who frequent it. I don't think the OP made that clear.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-08-2015 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:34 AM

723 posts, read 805,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Why don't they develop mass beach tourism, like Thailand, Turkey etc?
Good question. They even do not advertize. It is called lack of insight.
The leaders are crazy.
The well-known city of New York advertizes in Canadian underground trains and many parts
of Europe but the retarded Africans ministers of tourism do not see that. They think leading the department of tourism means yourself traveling all other the world with your girlfriends.
No dummies, it is about you the minister attracting people to your country !

Old 03-08-2015, 12:00 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Good question. They even do not advertize. It is called lack of insight.
The leaders are crazy.
The well-known city of New York advertizes in Canadian underground trains and many parts
of Europe but the retarded Africans ministers of tourism do not see that. They think leading the department of tourism means yourself traveling all other the world with your girlfriends.
No dummies, it is about you the minister attracting people to your country !
It depends on where a person lives, if they see 'vacation to Africa'.

I just looked up your profile, and it says you live in Detroit. I am from the that part of Michigan as well. No, I would never see travel agencies in Detroit advertising for Africa, because NO ONE COULD AFFORD that type of vacation, and any flight from Detroit to Africa would be prohibitively expensive. People in the Midwest go to FLORIDA. Even the Caribbean is advertised throughout the Northeast, but with Michigan and a poor economy, even the Caribbean is often assumed to be too far and too expensive to get to. Let alone Africa.

In short, the tourism industry is a SMART industry. They advertise vacations to Africa IN EUROPE. Africa is close to Europe, and many Europeans have disposable income and much longer vacations and are in much closer proximity. They advertise heavily throughout Europe, and many Europeans spend a lot of time on vacations to Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Tunisia, Morocco, South Africa, etc.

For the U.S., it would be a waste of time and money to do Africa promotions. It's too far for the short little vacations that Americans get, and there are plenty of places MUCH closer than a travel agent would do better with those economies of scale.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:41 PM

667 posts, read 940,118 times
Still island states technically belonging to Africa -- Seychelles, Maldives etc. -- actively promote beach tourism. Yeah maybe it's high-end and quite expensive, but anyway.
But the Continental Africa has thousands kilometers of coastline and few people go there for beaches. Even Ghana, Tanzania etc -- I think most people travel there for wildlife, safari, cities but not beaches.
Maybe the exceptions are Egypt and Tunisia which are in the North anyway, close to Europe.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:34 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
From some of the pictures I've seen, Cabo Verde might be another place to check out.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It depends on where a person lives, if they see 'vacation to Africa'.

I just looked up your profile, and it says you live in Detroit. I am from the that part of Michigan as well. No, I would never see travel agencies in Detroit advertising for Africa, because NO ONE COULD AFFORD that type of vacation, and any flight from Detroit to Africa would be prohibitively expensive. People in the Midwest go to FLORIDA. Even the Caribbean is advertised throughout the Northeast, but with Michigan and a poor economy, even the Caribbean is often assumed to be too far and too expensive to get to. Let alone Africa.

In short, the tourism industry is a SMART industry. They advertise vacations to Africa IN EUROPE. Africa is close to Europe, and many Europeans have disposable income and much longer vacations and are in much closer proximity. They advertise heavily throughout Europe, and many Europeans spend a lot of time on vacations to Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Tunisia, Morocco, South Africa, etc.

For the U.S., it would be a waste of time and money to do Africa promotions. It's too far for the short little vacations that Americans get, and there are plenty of places MUCH closer than a travel agent would do better with those economies of scale.
Big Mistake if you rely on travel agencies to promote your country.
Why don't those countries put ads on TV or in newspapers or even internet sites in English, French and Spanish etc.? How many African countries advertize in New York, a city which is like the world capital (due to the main office of the United nations)? If you advertize in cities like L.A, New York, Dallas, Detroit, Chicago, Denver, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco etc. you are not only reaching out to people from those locations, you are also trying to reach millions of travelers from different countries who would visit those cities. It is simple critical path to maximizing the size of the population your are targeting. That is why although tourism is a smart industry , it is accurate to say that many African countries are not working in a smart manner.
BTW, How well do the 54 African countries promote inter -African tourism? zero. For instance hundreds of thousands of Africans spend millions of Euros every year visiting places in Europe but they do not visit other African countries.
How many Kenyan tourists go visit places in Zimbabwe? How many west African tourists [ from Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire ( Ivory Coast) , Nigeria ] visit Uganda, Kenya, Botswana or Zambia every year?
They are so poor they spend millions of dollars in Dubai, Singapore, Paris, London, New York or Beijing every year.

Last edited by ThePage; 03-08-2015 at 05:23 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Big Mistake if you rely on travel agencies to promote your country.
Why don't those countries put ads on TV or in newspapers or even internet sites in English, French and Spain How many African countries advertize in New York, a city which is like the world capital (due to the main office of the United nations)? If you advertize in cities like L.A, New York, Dallas, Detroit, Chicago, Denver, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco etc. you are not only reaching out to people from those locations, you are also trying to reach millions of travelers from different countries who would visit those places. It is simple critical path to maximize the size of the population your are targeting. That is why although tourism is a smart industry , it is accurate to say that many African countries are not working in a smart manner.
BTW, How well do A.U countries promote inter -African tourism? zero. For instance hundreds of thousands of Africans spend millions of Euros every year visiting places in Europe but they do not visit other African countries.
How many Kenyan tourists go visit places in Zimbabwe? How many west African tourists [ from Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire ( Ivory Coast) , Nigeria ] visit Uganda, Kenya, Botswana or Zambia every year?
They are so poor they spend millions of dollars in Dubai, Singapore, Paris, London, New York, Beijing etc.

Ghana , Senegal , Kenya etc you named are just a handful of countries among the 54 countries on the African continent.
Well, you live in Detroit. Do you really live all over the world to know that they DON'T advertise in different places? In my general experience, certain countries attract certain people from other countries. For example, French-speaking african countries often attract French and Latin Europeans. On and on like that.

Just because you aren't seeing them advertise throughout the USA doesnt mean they don't have their markets where they do advertise. Additionally, I'm quite positive I've seen Kenya/Tanzania and South Africa promoted quite well in the U.S. It's just a very expensive trip over, and only a very select crowd can afford that in the U.S.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:26 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Video of a cool beach in Cabo Verde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxAKQMstcCI

Old 03-08-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, you live in Detroit. Do you really live all over the world to know that they DON'T advertise in different places? In my general experience, certain countries attract certain people from other countries. For example, French-speaking African countries often attract French and Latin Europeans. On and on like that.
Traveled a lot bro. Been to Europe ( France, Switzerland,
Germany, U.K, Spain) never seen any French speaking African country ads in any Metro.

Been to Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, China.
In the Metro in Montreal, you will see many Ads about the city of New York; Jamaica and Cancun Mexico.
Nowhere to find any African country ads.
Been to Sikasso Mali, to Abidjan Ivory Coast and Ouagadougou Burkina Faso.
Going to Dubai this summer ( You bet they will be no African advertisement out there).
From there, planning a trip to Valparaiso, the city of dream, in Chile.

Quote:
Just because you aren't seeing them advertise throughout the USA doesnt mean they don't have their markets where they do advertise.
South Africa does not need that much publicity anymore due to Mandela and the struggle against Apartheid. The world knows about them and many people want to visit.
Same thing for Kenya after Obama took office.
Quote:
Additionally, I'm quite positive I've seen Kenya/Tanzania and South Africa promoted quite well in the U.S
It's just a very expensive trip over, and only a very select crowd can afford that in the U.S.
Dubai is not cheaper and many people go there.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Traveled a lot bro. Been to Europe ( France, Switzerland,
Germany, U.K, Spain) never seen any French speaking African country ads in any Metro.
Hey I've spent a lot of time on metros too. Never saw an ad for Miami or New York in any metro in Tokyo, or Seoul, or Hong Kong.

With your logic, I guess that means no Asians are going to the U.S. anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa