U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,425 times

Advertisements

Lagzira beach in Morocco, one of the wonders of Africa.

Dakhla beach in Morocco where the desert faces the ocean.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:17 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,159,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I also hear that many African beaches are very dirty, with lots of garbage all around as well as sewage runoff.
I would expect the quality of the beaches vary from country to country and even from one region/town/city to another within a country.

We were very fortunate to spend few days in one of most beautiful and cleanest beaches that we have visited in the world. It is the beach along the Elephant Coast in South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal. We got there in the last part of our self-fly safari. It was breathtaking to see miles and miles of pristine white sand beaches from from the air, looking outside the cockpit of a small Cessna.

Elephant Coast KwaZulu-Natal: places, activities and attractions – South African Tourism

It was even more amazing to see the beaches on land while staying at Thonga Beach Lodge and experience the incredible Indian Ocean crystal clear underwater world.

We were pleasantly surprised to learn of the strict South Africa coastal development rules where high rise resorts were not allowed. Developers were not allowed to cut down trees so the lodges were built around trees with some bungalows having a living tree trunk in the center ;-) Walking along the beaches, one could not see any buildings or man-made structures.

Below is an excerpt of our South Africa trip report of our Indian Ocean experience.

"From Pongola, we flew to Thonga Beach Lodge located in the northern Indian Ocean coastal area. It was like a jungle with dense forest and beautiful pristine beaches with miles and miles of white sand and pounding surf. We only did two dives there and were very lucky to get to snorkel with a whale shark (a rare event in April) and a school of hundreds of dolphins right near the Indian Ocean surf zone. The scuba diving there was spectacular with sea creatures, fishes and corals completely different from our diving experience in the North East, Caribbean, Hawaii and Galapagos Islands. Notable sightings included a guitar shark, a huge moray eel swimming about in day time, several big turtles, iridescent purple and green giant clams and colorful nudibranches and a giant potato cod. Many species of fishes (angel, butterfly, parrot, trumpet, puffer, trunk etc.) are the same as in the Caribbean but with different color and patterns. The corals were completely different from what we had ever seen before. The ocean floor was like a patchwork quilt of dreamy pastel colored branching/table and plate corals. The tallest corals were probably no more than half a foot high. We speculated that the carpet-like corals were the only species which could survive being so close to strong surf zones. I wished that we had brought the underwater camera housing but we had too many other things to pack for this self-fly safari/dive trip. On the last day at the lodge, we finally get to see the Vervet monkeys up close and personal. My husband went away to get some marmalade letting me guarding the food. The big male monkey who had been stealing muffins from the kids earlier completely ignored my yelling ran up and grabbed the French toast out of his plate. He figured out that I was a wimpy food guard."

I want to add a note that Thonga Beach lodge also has a very nice swimming area in a protected cove. Here is the link to their website

http://www.thongabeachlodge.co.za/

Last edited by BellaDL; 03-16-2015 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 10:33 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,453,273 times
Looks nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Video of a cool beach in Cabo Verde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxAKQMstcCI

Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,728,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Uh...........no. Canary Islands are part of Spain.
I knew somebody would say that

Are you also gonna tell us that the British Falkland Islands are in Europe?

Old 03-19-2015, 05:54 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,402,018 times
If we're including Seychelles, then we need to include Mauritius as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecRy6PUWyC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aUpg7YHCrY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nrVu_by93k

Old 03-19-2015, 05:58 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,402,018 times
And this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nrVu_by93k

Old 03-24-2015, 05:21 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,229,205 times
Namibia has amazing coastlines, nothing but sunny skies, golden beaches and blue water for miles and miles, sometimes not even a person around

Old 07-02-2015, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 426 times
Sharm-El-Sheikh, Red sea Peninsula, Sinai are the amazing beaches in Egypt. Recently I have gone there to spend the vacation with the well known travel agency Explore Egypt. I really enjoyed a lot with diving at Sharm-El-Sheikh beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or