U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:25 PM

30 posts, read 35,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
What's the best bar in Africa?
I don't drink, but there are very many bars around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Only two people I know that came from Kenya are: Roger Whittaker, one of the best singers on the Planet. Barack Obama, nough said.
Add Louis Leakey, Wangari Maathai and hundreds of talented marathon runners to that list. We rock!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicOverlord View Post
Jambo! I just want to say thank you. You're doing a great service by offering to share your knowledge and experience. I may be a bit biased, as my mom's side is Kenyan (Kikuyu).

Well just out of curiosity, have you witnessed any Americans who moved to Kenya to begin their career?
Several. There are so many expats here.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
I met a white guy from Kenya..he said he grew up on a farm in the Rift Valley. His accent was like old school British (house was pronounced like hise) I didn't want to be intrusive, and I only spoke with him for about 10 minutes waiting to get called in at the dentists office (we were in the waiting room) here in Southern California.

I know there are other white Kenyans, like Richard Leakey and of course other countries in Africa like South Africa have whites..how are white Kenyans perceived? Where do they commonly live? Do you encounter many in Nairobi or Mombasa?
Depends on where you live. 'Whites' will have found homes in suburbs of Karen, Runda, muthaiga etc. working class expats live in Westlands, Kilimani, Kileleshwa, Lavington etc. perception depends on who is on the other side but Kenyans mostly welcome foreigners. I don't personally deal with many expats but know several.

Rift valley still has several white owned farms like Delamere farms.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What are the dominant ethnic groups in Garissa, where there was a massacre of Christian college students?
The majority of residents of Garrissa are Somali Kenyans. However, they attacked the hostels of a teaching school. It was only 4 young brainwashed boys. When I see things like this is really hurts, because its makes Islam look bad, when religion has nothing to do with this.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:28 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Are suburbs in Nairobi completely car-dependent like American suburbs? Or are the suburbs there more walkable, more amenities, and such?

(This might be difficult to answer if you haven't seen how car-centric American suburbs can be).

Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 AM

163 posts, read 111,894 times
I'm flying in to Nairobi at 2030 one evening, and flying out the next morning at 0530. I will have been about 24 hours in flights to NBO, so I will arrive "rested" and not in need of sleep. (1) Will I be allowed to stay in transit even if I am changing airlines, or will I need to pass through immigration (pay for a visa) and customs? (2) Is the airport open all hours, so that I would be allowed to re-enter the airport immediately, if not allowed to stay in transit? (3) What, if any thing, is there to do at the airport through the night?

I've been to Nairobi a few times, but always on an itinerary that permitted a stay in the city. Until this trip.

Thank you!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,203 posts, read 1,579,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumranbi View Post
I have lived in Kenya all my life except the 2 years I went abroad for studies. Let me know if you want to know anything about Kenya or East Africa.
What is business economy like?

What is nightlife like?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:55 AM

1,268 posts, read 623,229 times
Why is Kenya so homophobic? I imagine it can't be all citizens that share this view, so why not more advocacy against discriminatory anti-gay laws and targeted attacks on homosexuals?

Old 06-28-2015, 01:18 AM

15,265 posts, read 12,582,834 times
IM doing a wee bit of research on coffee planters from Nairobi, especially the Harries family.. who lived there in the early 1900s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or