U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,238,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm on the side that doesn't drop bombs on people

Well that is a easy one I don't think most people feel good about. I can say I am not pro bomb dropping either in general but there are some situations that are complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 12:40 PM

3,019 posts, read 2,696,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The key to manufacturing is (1) Lots of cheap workforce (2) highly educated workforce
I have not read all the posts so forgive me if I repeat what has already been said, but you need to add (3) productivity. The Chinese and east Asians in general are very productive hard working people. It's hard to find a work ethic anywhere on the planet that could beat the Chinese.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:30 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
What exactly is China doing that you like? In the end what you have is two diametrically opposed idealogies that are incompatable playing global chess there can only be one winner. Which side are you on?

Old 02-27-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
I have not read all the posts so forgive me if I repeat what has already been said, but you need to add (3) productivity. The Chinese and east Asians in general are very productive hard working people. It's hard to find a work ethic anywhere on the planet that could beat the Chinese.
I don't see productivity as an issue in most African countries.
Africans are very hard working also.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 PM

3,505 posts, read 4,961,296 times
To their credit, the Chinese, in return for natural resources, are building infrastructure in Africa like roads, hospitals, schools, to benefit common African people, and create goodwill.

Compare that to the U.S.A which pays billions in cash for Africa's resources - which line the pockets of dictators like Mobutu Sese Soku and his relatives, so they can have mansions on the French Riviera with private jets and champagne, and so that the Ivory Coast can build their gigantic new Catholic cathedral out in the wilderness, etc.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:54 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
According to this, 60% of investment in Africa, is still coming from 'The West' - Europeans, Americans.

But, China is still quite high as well really.

Interesting TED TALKS video on Africa: Charles Robertson: Africa's next boom | Talk Video | TED.com

Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
To their credit, the Chinese, in return for natural resources, are building infrastructure in Africa like roads, hospitals, schools, to benefit common African people, and create goodwill.

Compare that to the U.S.A which pays billions in cash for Africa's resources - which line the pockets of dictators like Mobutu Sese Soku and his relatives, so they can have mansions on the French Riviera with private jets and champagne, and so that the Ivory Coast can build their gigantic new Catholic cathedral out in the wilderness, etc.

The U.S. and Europe still lead the way in investing in Africa.China is just coming in big but nothing more.
Quote:
In terms of investment in Africa, though, China lags behind Britain, America and Italy
http://cdn.static-economist.com/site...117_MAC700.png

Quote:
Yet Africans are increasingly suspicious of Chinese firms, worrying about unfair deals and environmental damage. Opposition is fuelled by Africa’s thriving civil society, which demands more transparency and an accounting for human rights. This can be an unfamiliar challenge for authoritarian China, whose foreign policy is heavily based on state-to-state relations, with little appreciation of the gulf between African rulers and their people. In Senegal residents’ organisations last year blocked a deal that would have handed a prime section of property in the centre of the capital, Dakar, to Chinese developers. In Tanzania labour unions criticised the government for letting in Chinese petty traders
Quote:
China has few political ambitions in Africa. It co-operates with democracies as much as with authoritarian regimes. Its aid budget is puny. The few peacekeepers it sends stay out of harm’s way.
When is the last time you heard of a contingent of UN Peacekeepers from China in Africa?
China has vast investment in South Sudan beccause of oil fields.Where were they when the refugees were fleeing the area?They were there protecting their oil interest.

Quote:
"If we can take the Congo," Mao said in 1964, "we can have all of Africa."
Im sorry but you are so misguided if you think the same thing is not happening TODAY.

China is NOT just building infrastruture.The amount of money that China is putting into these things is almost pennies compared to the wealth of resources they re getting.

Whos pockets do you think money is given to from the Chinese?
China is paying politicians for access to Africas land.

Its no better than what the US has done in the past but at least the U.S spends billions ofn aid.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:27 AM

18,539 posts, read 9,586,076 times
The reason not more comes down to corruption....your investment is subject to the whims of corrupt politicians and 'Warlords' and crooks to steal your investment. I had a boss that invested in Africa and his entire investment was stolen by the local authorities.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The reason not more comes down to corruption....your investment is subject to the whims of corrupt politicians and 'Warlords' and crooks to steal your investment. I had a boss that invested in Africa and his entire investment was stolen by the local authorities.
Again "Africa" is a continent.Africa as a whole has little manufacturing but not all countries have been ruled by greedy dictators.

There are several countries in Africa where the corruption is NOT the problem.As I stated earlier corruption is less than in China and some countries in Eastern Europe.

Coutries like Botswana,Ghana,South Africa,Kenya,Namibia have very stable governments with economies that are expanding.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:31 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,756,870 times
The times, they are changing; albeit slowly. More investment would be a huge factor in the development of manufacturing and growth in all of Africa.

Economy & Industry
A new oil state

Significant oil reserves were discovered in Chad and oil began pumping in 2003. Oil wealth has led to new
construction and infrastructure projects, including the building of many roads.

Investors are often deterred by a very difficult business climate. In 2012, Chad was ranked bottom in the world for ease of doing business by the International Finance Corporation (part of the World Bank).

Economy & Industry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or