U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:24 PM

15,699 posts, read 34,711,444 times

Advertisements

To take MALARIA pills, or NOT take MALARIA pills, that is the question?

Which would you do? Let's say it's 2 weeks in Africa. I've heard a lot of NEGATIVES about anti-malaria pills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:38 PM

927 posts, read 1,327,721 times
Take them. I wouldn't want to chance it!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:47 PM

72,783 posts, read 64,231,537 times
I used to take them annually, for travel to Central America. Not a big deal. However, I think they have something better now. Check with your local travel clinic.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:21 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,039,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Which would you do? Let's say it's 2 weeks in Africa. I've heard a lot of NEGATIVES about anti-malaria pills.
We took anti-malaria pills for our self-fly safari trip to South Africa in 2010. We did not have any side effects. We did not really see any mosquitoes during our almost 2 weeks stay in various parts of SA and thought the pills were not really necessary. However if we were to visit other African countries, we would not hesitate to take the pills again.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
We took anti-malaria pills for our self-fly safari trip to South Africa in 2010. We did not have any side effects. We did not really see any mosquitoes during our almost 2 weeks stay in various parts of SA and thought the pills were not really necessary. However if we were to visit other African countries, we would not hesitate to take the pills again.
I was looking at the countries/areas to NOT bother with anti-malaria, and South Africa seemed to be the place, especially during the May-Sept months, as its a bit cold there.

Not sure what time of year you were there though. But, overall, it sounds like adverse side effects of anti-malaria pills, might be a thing of the past?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:39 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,039,742 times
We were in SA the last week of April & the first week of May. It was pleasantly cool at night in the central part (probably due to high elevation) but quite warm in the coastal region of Swaziland area. The medication which we took was Doxycycline.

MD Travel Health

"Doxycycline is also effective, but may cause an exaggerated sunburn reaction, which limits its usefulness in the tropics. Sunscreen is essential."

Old 02-27-2015, 09:41 PM

21,518 posts, read 26,128,168 times
Quote:

Take the medication! Cover up. Use insect repellent. Use bed nets (sprayed with repellent) at night. You can buy one pretreated with repellent and take it with you.

You do not want to catch malaria.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/resources/pdf/travelers.pdf

CDC - Malaria - Travelers

Pros and cons of medications:

CDC - Malaria - Travelers - Choosing a Drug to Prevent Malaria

Note that some meds need to be started a couple of weeks before traveling.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Note that some meds need to be started a couple of weeks before traveling.
I think that's the big issue, that I've read. Starting medication weeks before, will some real nasty side effects.

Which are some of the better ones without so much side effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
"Doxycycline is also effective, but may cause an exaggerated sunburn reaction, which limits its usefulness in the tropics. Sunscreen is essential."
Did you have to take well beforehand as well?

Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 PM

21,518 posts, read 26,128,168 times
Quote:
I think that's the big issue, that I've read. Starting medication weeks before, will some real nasty side effects.

Which are some of the better ones without so much side effects?

Did you have to take well beforehand as well?

Lariam is the one that can have some wonky side effects. My nephew took it for an extended period and got some of the mood disturbance and weird thoughts with it. He was in West Africa for an extended period several years ago.

A good option would be to talk with someone who does travel medicine. S/he can make specific recommendations based on where you plan to visit and your personal medical history.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 AM

577 posts, read 647,146 times
Get a blood test from your own doctors practice and tell them the reason why. They know your medical history and will help you choose the best type for you.

I've watched people suffer from malaria and also watched some die. For the sake of a tablet.... why risk it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa